Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone out there could help me know if I should give our preemie TRIVISOL? He was born 6/30 of this year and will finally be coming home tomorrow 10/28. He was only 24 wks 3 days gestation and weighed 1-1/2# at birth. I want what is best for him, but am not sure these vitamins are anything less than synthetic.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
They probably are synthetic. BUt preemies do have very special nutritional needs. Especially micro-preemies. You might ask your doc if he can recommend a more natural supplement. But I would not rule out using the supplement if no natural ones are availible.
All of the nutrients added to his formula (just assuming he has had to supplement at the very least) are also synthetic so there might be no way to get around it at this age.
I think that whole food supplements are vastly superior to artifical ones, no doubt about it. But unless there are any which have a record of being safely used on preemies I would wait until your dc is older.
Joline

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have had two preemies (both of my boys - 31 weeks, so not nearly as early as your baby) and we always did the vitamins. Iron deficiency in the first year of life can cause some pretty big problems if left untreated.

I'm so thrilled that your son is doing well enough to come home. Congratulations!

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Your ds is a special case and you should follow the doctor's orders for now. When there is a child with special needs, they often break all the rules with us being comfortable with certain things. Your baby probably needs those extra vitamins, and I agree with PP, to use something that is designed for babies like your ds until you find something else that is proven safe and effective for him.

My dd is 21 mos old and still mostly on formula.
And yet she is growing and thriving because it saved her life and continues to sustain her. I don't feel comfortable with the idea of having her on formula, but she has special health needs.

BTW he sounds like a true miracle!! Congrats on him coming home!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
We didn't do vitamins because my dd was a 34weeker and her iron had always been fine. We just kept watch on it closely. She's never had a problem and she's exclusively bf. If this were me, I personally WOULD do the iron drops because your son is a micropreemie. AND it's RSV season! I wouldn't take chances with his tiny little body. He's probably just around 5 or 6lbs I'm sure and it's getting cold out and it's RSV season and he's changing environments. At least for his first RSV season, I would do the iron and give his little body a rest. It's hard work being a preemie and eating and digesting and pooping.

Meg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.