Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We quit going to our Bradley class (for several reasons), but at the last class the instructor told us that we needed to circ because if we didn't have it done when they were born, they would have to have it done later due to infection.
Then her and her friend went on to say that Jewish women have a lower risk of cervical cancer because Jewish men have been circ'd. Um, ok, I was thinking maybe it's because they are kosher and don't eat pork.

The instructor has 4 daughters so instead of biting my tongue and leaving I should have asked if she had mutilated her dd's genitals.

Like I said this is just one of many reasons we quit the class. I had no idea we would be told to vax, circ, etc. in a Bradley class.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I would respectfully send her information, yes.
Mainly the AAPs stance, etc.

She's in a place of educating others, and it is wrong for her to be giving out such false information.
She could undo the work of even the most dilligent intactivist - just by using her status to insecure parents.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
For whom does she work, or is she a private instructor? If she is employed by a childbirth agency, medical facility or anyone else, I'd also complain to her superiors.

Working as an educator at a hospital myself, I know that we have to be careful what info we convey if it isn't the hospital's official stance on a topic. That said, I'm trying to gently set the stage for the next generation of intactivists in some bbsitting classes I teach there. They are for preteens who are learning how to bbsit and the part of the course on diapering talks about cleaning btwn all of the folds when you wipe without specifying whether they are talking about boys or girls so I insert a notation that many boys are not circed now a days and that you do not clean underneath the foreskin and why.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerTail View Post
does the bradley association have a policy about circ?
I want to know too and I would definitely send her info!!!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Good question. Here's their website. One of the 'recommended books' is by Dr. Fleiss, though it's not the one we all know and love.

I cannot imagine that they would be pro-circumcision or even neutral on it, since their philosophy is about being gentle and natural. The program includes information on prenatal nutrition and encourages breastfeeding, so it's not limited to just the birth itself. There's an 800 number on the site- call and ask! If you don't want to, I will.

Quote:
Why Natural Childbirth?
The kind of pregnancy, labor, and birth our children experience has a profound and lifelong effect on their health, including their mental, emotional, and physical health. The Bradley Method® attempts to give babies the best possible start in life by teaching how to have a natural pregnancy and a natural childbirth.
Hopefully there will be some official stance that they can review with her, but I do think she needs some printed materials sent to her.

I didn't like the Bradley class I took either.
:

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
In any case it is irresponsble for a Bradley teacher to be making judgements about circumcision or providing biased information.

I would call on that one. Uugh.

Jessica

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Absolutely send her some info! That's terrible... my childbirth class was mostly based on Birthing From Within (not officially) and was taught by a doula who also happens to be a L&D nurse at the local hospital. She's the reason I found out that the local hospital (and the next local one since they are affiliated) doesn't perform RIC anymore. She was very anti-circumcision and told us that if any of us thought we wanted to circumcise our child (none of us had u/s and we all had homebirths with the same midwife) to please talk to her first

I would have left the class too had my instructor promoted RIC
I'm sorry you had to deal with that in such an unexpected place

love and peace.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Wasn't the cervical cancer thing disproven in the '70s or '80s, that really is behind.

I would send her info and write a letter about it to the organization that certifies her.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsalf97 View Post
We quit going to our Bradley class (for several reasons), but at the last class the instructor told us that we needed to circ because if we didn't have it done when they were born, they would have to have it done later due to infection.
Then her and her friend went on to say that Jewish women have a lower risk of cervical cancer because Jewish men have been circ'd. Um, ok, I was thinking maybe it's because they are kosher and don't eat pork.

The instructor has 4 daughters so instead of biting my tongue and leaving I should have asked if she had mutilated her dd's genitals.

Like I said this is just one of many reasons we quit the class. I had no idea we would be told to vax, circ, etc. in a Bradley class.
here's a quote about that. Click the link for more on the history of the cancer myth.

From http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/index6.html

Besides fathers wanting their sons to look like them, one of the biggest "reasons" in the last half of the 20th Century for performing circumcision is cancer prevention. There were a few studies done in which the conclusion was that non-circumcised males get cancer of the penis more often than their circumcised counterparts. Another study was based on the idea that Jewish wives had a lower rate of cervical cancer than wives of intact men and/or Muslim women. This conclusion was based solely on the fact that the Muslims have their boys circumcised at puberty, rather than at birth. ...Definitely a leap in logic. "Cancer of the penis 'is almost unheard of in circumcised Jews.' 'The Jew, ritually circumcised on the eighth day of life, rarely develps penile cancer whereas the Moslem, circumcised between the third and fourteenth years, frequently sufferes from the affliction.' "5. Additionally, as doctors began to add to their list of reasons for circumcision, the lines were sometimes blurred (intentionally, and not always not by those who themselves had religious ties or prejudices) between medical and religious issues as is seen here: "The prepuce is an important factor in the production of phthisis [tuberculosis]. This can be proven by the immunity of the Jewish race from tubercular affections." [S.G.A. Brown. A Plea for Circumcision. Medical World 1897;15:124-125.]

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all of the links. I was finally able to speak to someone from Bradley last night and she is going to take care of it. She said it is their policy to give knowledge, not opinions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.