Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are just a few kinds of yogurt for kids and my 15 month old LO already gets bored of eating the same thing often.
Can and Should I give her adults' yogurt? I mean if she will get the necessary nutrition from adults' yogurt?
Thanks.

·
Registered
807 Posts
in general, the "kids" yogurt is full of crap (dyes, HFCS, etc.) so your LO would probably be better off with adult stuff!

we used YoBaby for a long time, because it's made with organic whole milk. we recently switched to Brown Cow.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I wouldn't if they are artificially sweetened. The long term effects of sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose have not been studied in children. You can find naturally flavoured yogurts (which may be high in sugar, or you can get some that are sweetened with fruit juice) or stick to plain yogurt and flavour it however you want with maple syrup, honey, fruit, mint (for dipping pitas in - yum) or a bit of jam.

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
Sure. I buy Dannon yogurt - either plain or occasinally the fruit-on-bottom stuff. If you buy the plain you can always add your own frozen fruit and sweetener and such at home (my favorite personally, is blueberries, maple syrup and vanilla).

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Of course. I've been giving DD 'adult' yogurt from the beginning because as a PP said any of the stuff I could find that was supposedly 'designed for kids' was just full of crap. I check labels and only buy yogurt (or really most things) that don't have a lot/any artificial ingredients.

I usually just buy the Danone plain yogurt and mix it with some fruit purees at home.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I just wanted to say that if you're looking for different flavors, YoBaby has several, but it seems that not all grocery stores carry each one. At my local grocery store (which i go to the most), they only have the apple, berry, peach, and pear flavors.
Walmart doesn't have the apple or the berry, but they have strawberry banana and raspberry kiwi...and something else too, i didn't look closely.

I would also think that a strore like Earth Fare or Whole Foods would have a bigger variety of yogurt that isn't crap.

Anyway, my advice is try different stores, as they often have different flavors.

·
Registered
746 Posts
It's all the same yogurt, except the packaging. You should probably stick to full-fat yogurt, which is sometimes hard to find outside the "baby" section.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Look for full fat, avoid artificial sweeteners and lots of sugar. Many babies will lap up plain full fat yogurt. I know I would. Some of the baby yogurts have cereal added so you might want to make sure you are getting yogurt and not cereal unless that is what you want.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
We always just gave the kid adult plain and usually full-fat yogurts.

The only additional advice I'd give would be to try out greek yogurt. One, it is extra delicious and fabulous tasting! Two, its somewhat thicker & less messy/doesn't drip as much (nice for young messy eaters).

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
We get the full-fat 365 (Whole Foods Market) brand and stir in no-sugar added whole fruit jelly.

You don't need baby-specific food, just, as the pp's said, stay away from low-fat, artificial flavors and dyes, etc...

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
We only tried the baby yogurt once. DD didn't seem to care for it and it looked icky to me, so we never bought it again. She is a real fan of regular adult yogurt. We try to buy the ones that aren't "light" but yogurt seems to delight in being as low-fat as possible.
But she nursed until 28 months so I didn't really worry about her getting fat in her dairy.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I buy only adult yogurt (actually, DS doesn't get any specially-made-for-baby items at all, all adult stuff) and I have a VERY limited selection of whole milk yogurt. It's just very hard to find here. I usually end up with Stoneyfield Farms.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I don't get baby youghurt? What is the purpose? It is even stranger than other baby foods. It wouldn't occur to me that they made such a thing.

Mind you, the applesauce in the baby aisle, with the same ingredients by the same company, costs a dollar more. I guess that is the answer.

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
I don't get baby youghurt? What is the purpose? It is even stranger than other baby foods. It wouldn't occur to me that they made such a thing.

Mind you, the applesauce in the baby aisle, with the same ingredients by the same company, costs a dollar more. I guess that is the answer.
I agree with you, but I think the main thing is that "baby" yogurt is usually whole milk and "adult" yogurt is often "low fat" or "fat free"

we only buy quarts of whole milk organic yogurt and/ or greek yogurt. Ds loves it plain, or we add granola, or fruit, or applesauce to it and he gobbles it up (i do too!)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Most stuff sold as "kids" is a racket. For heaven's sakes, kids don't need special soap, toothpaste, beds, or yogurt. As someone else wrote, most food marketed to kids is FULL of CRAP. To find the least nutritious food at any restaurant just look at the kid's menu!

What a grump I am. Of course there is a place for kids stuff! But regular yogurt is great for kids. My almost-3-year-old has revelled in plain whole milk yogurt since she started solids.

If your kids find the "adult" stuff too un-sweet, add honey, Maple Syrup, or Elderberry syrup (anti-viral and will turn it purple too!)

Best wishes!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
I've bought baby yogurt in the past because its full fat and the servings are smaller. So if I'm in a hurry and want to bring a snack for ds with me, its the perfect size-otherwise I end up wasting half a container with those foil tops that don't keep well.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahr View Post
It's all the same yogurt, except the packaging. You should probably stick to full-fat yogurt, which is sometimes hard to find outside the "baby" section.

I think childerns yogurt is the same as adults. I would just try to stay away from the low fat stuff

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
It doesn't need to baby yogurt but I would still to full fat whole milk in either plain or without artifical sweeteners.

We still buy YoBaby plain because DS likes it. It is a pretty mild culture and he'll eat it plain. He likes flavored yogurt a lot less. But I don't think it is necessary.

My comments above are assuming you aren't buying the junk in tubes or colored purple or with six stabelizers and HFCS. You'd be better off buying adult yogurt than that stuff.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I've never even thought about "adult" yogurt. It was all just yogurt until some marketing firm came up with a new way to package and sell it. Whatever brand you buy, get yogurt for your lo that has the most fat and the least additives. I make my own and mix in fruit or maple syrup. As for small packages, since we make our own I put some in a half-pint Mason jar for travelling with it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.