Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time I used it was 2 years ago. Do you think the plastic has degraded at all? I have some membranes that are still in the package, do you think those are still OK to use? I'll probably get new tubing and horns but I wonder if I need to get new storage bottles, etc... like I said, I'm worried about the plastic breaking down over 2 years... what do y'all think?

TIA -

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I'm using the same PIS parts that I used with my now 2.5 year old and it didn't even occur to me that the plastic might have degraded.
: It has been working fine for 7 months now, other than replacing the white membranes about a month ago. I'd say if they are still in the plastic wrapping, even the white membranes should be fine.

I would expect even when you buy a brand new PIS it's not unlikely that the horns and such have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for up to two years anyway.

If you live in a location where you have a lactation supply store nearby, I would definitely just wait and see if you need it. Even if you don't, these days, you can order anything online and get it within days.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I think my PIS sat dormant for two years, and I just used the original parts. I hope the plastic really was/is intact! I didn't notice any problems. We used the same Medela bottles, too.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
It hasn't occured to me to get new parts either and my last baby is 3 years old now. I think they should be fine but don't know for sure. All my stuff still looks great, I'll use it unless I hear from someone it isn't OK to use.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
A similar topic came up on another board I'm on. This may be reassuring to you that it's okay to use the old set.

From the Environment California website.

Bisphenol-A in plastic feeding bottles
Bisphenol-A is an industrial chemical that is used to make polycarbonate
plastic. It can be found in water bottles, micro-wave ovenware and
eating utensils, as well as in baby feeding bottles. This has caused
concern since Bisphenol-A can leach out of the products and affect human
health.

Studies show that Bisphenol-A at very low levels can cause endocrine
disrupting effects, meaning it can affect our hormones. Some studies
indicate connections between Bisphenol-A and conditions such as obesity,
ADHD, disruption of the thyroid system and cancer.

Several studies have documented that Bisphenol-A can leach out of baby
feeding bottles. The leaching appears to be worse if the bottle is old
or scratched, or made of a lower quality material.

Several major bottle producers, such as Evenflo and Medela, make plastic bottles without Bisphenol-A. However, most major US baby bottle manufacturers use Bisphenol-A in their production, and there is no law
prohibiting its use.

Environment California and Assemblywoman Wilma Chan are proposing new
legislation: AB 319. If accepted, this bill would prohibit use of
phthalates in products for children under three and Bisphenol-A in baby
feeding bottles.

I don't know if the same goes for the entire pump system, but I would think the milk is not on those parts long enough for anything to leak out.

Now I don't know about the plastic milk storage bags that can be used. I always stored milk in evenflo baby bottles and froze them in there too.

HTH

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, KMC!

I went ahead and ordered some new parts last night anyway, because I am insane, lol. I figured the peace of mind was worth the $25, yk? The tubing was probably fine but there was a filmy residue on the bottles and the horns so I ditched them. I did keep the old yellow valves and the old membranes but I ordered new ones too because if I recall correctly they tend to break, so I will use the old ones as backup.

I used to use plastic storage bags, but since then I have read that you should store breastmilk in glass containers because the plastic can affect the taste.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
For the record, it's good you ordered new tubing. We had this discussion somewhere (maybe working mothers, maybe here). Apparently the tubing can get stretched out and the suction isn't as good. If you feel after a few months that your supply is decreasing, you could also try snipping off the ends of the tubes where they plug in. I think that's the part that gets stretched. This never ocurred to me while I was pumping.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellien C
Apparently the tubing can get stretched out and the suction isn't as good.
Interesting, I had never heard that before. Thanks!

It probably was stretched out - I pumped exclusively for 4 months, 10 - 12 times a day. I am really hoping to be able to nurse this time. But I figured I'd get the pump out and ready to go, just in case I need it for engorgement or the occasional bottle. Seeing that old beast again really brought back memories, lol. I hated that thing, but was grateful for it at the same time - if I hadn't had it, DS wouldn't have gotten the breastmilk he did get.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. Let's hope this time the parts look brand new when I put them away.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd
Seeing that old beast again really brought back memories, lol. I hated that thing, but was grateful for it at the same time

Pumping is not my favorite activity. Glad that my babies have my milk when I'm away, but I won't miss my PIS! But I would say that nursing and pumping were easier for me the second time around.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
I used to use glass bottles too but recently I hard somewhere that glass isn't that good afterall. I can't remember where I heard it or why. It seemed like a good source at the time. Is that true? It seems like this issue just keeps going in circles, glass is best, plastic is best, glass is best... Anyone know? I love my glass bottles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.