Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My older ds, who recently turned 4, insists on coloring/painting himself completely every time we have art time. He will color his hands, arms, feet, legs, face, and I even caught him coloring his brother's skin today. He's very creative about it, and doesn't color on walls or other things, just skin. When he was a toddler it was kind of cute, but now it is starting to get a bit old, and I don't know what will happen when he starts preschool next week.<br><br>
Have any of you had experience with this and if so what did you do? Should I put a stop to it (and if so, how) or should I just embrace his creativity and let it be?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Why would it squelch his creativity to have guidelines to follow in art time? When he is a professional artist, paying his own rent/mortgage, and in charge of his own cleanup, he can paint whatever he likes. For now, give him guidelines. I tell my 4 year old dd she can only paint on the paper - not on herself, not on the walls, not on the table, etc. She knows this and except for messiness that is accidental she does great. She wears a smock and stays fairly clean. Only minor cleanup. Same rules at her preschool. You have to set limits for kids or they won't know what is right or what is wrong. You don't let him spatter the room, do you? So, don't let him paint himself if it bothers you. Perhaps you can have special outdoor painting parties on occason where he can paint himself. That may appease him.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
My older dd used to paint herself. In retrospect, I have come to believe it's a sensory thing-- she has sensory issues, but nothing too major, she also hates shoes.<br><br>
I did make a rule against it when it became the reason I didn't want to let my kids paint. But I also watched her carefully, because it was hard for to resist doing it when she was painting at home. As far as I know, she never did it at preschool. If you're concerned about him getting in trouble at preschool, you might let him know what the rules are about paint or whatever at preschool, or suggest he ask, or you ask together.<br><br>
gl!<br><br>
ZM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts