Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
This is a really tough question to answer.

Personally, I would avoid a partner like the plague. Statistically, partnerships fail more often than any other type of business.

Also, partners are legally responsible for the other person's mishaps. If someone goes after your partner for a business related problem you are liable as well.

One of my friend's dads was in a partnership and found out that his partner cheated (overbilled) his clients a total of 1 million dollars. The partner was sued, but declared bankruptcy. My friend's dad did not want a bankruptcy on his record becuase it would mean giving up his house and many of his possessions, so he himself personally had to pay back the 1 million dollars he didn't even steal! Took him 20 years!

The fact taht you don't know this woman well.... I'd have to say steer very clear of a legal partnership.

If you do decide to partner with her, please see a lawyer and have them draw up your contract. Do not go into partnership with her without a contract or you will regret it most likely.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I've read that if you are in a business where you are reselling items that pretty much anyone can resell, that competition can be fierce. You're dividing the market.

You can have a price war, but in the end, no one wins.

What I've read seems to indicate that if this is your situation you should not compete on price, but on other things such as customer service, high quality, ease or ordering and re-ordering.

A great book to read in your case is by Jay Abraham called Getting Everything You Can Out of All You'Ve Got: 21 Ways You Can Out-Think, Out-Perform, and Out-Earn the Competition. This book did amazing things for me.

Time, experience, customer loyalty and perseverance and you will eventually beat your competition.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.