Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pregnant (27 wks) and this afternoon suddenly started getting flu-ish symptoms - start of a sore throat, a bit of nausea (I haven't had nausea in 3-4 months), chills, some sneezing, achy, low grade fever. If I call my OB in the morning, I'm thinking they might suggest Tamiflu. I'm not sure if I'm more scared of the H1H1 virus, or the Tamiflu. Thoughts?

I did start taking the oscillococcinum and garlic capsules.

· Registered
4,379 Posts
Well, I'd get a flu test before I took the tamiflu. You know it causes more vomiting than the flu itself, right?! The flu test stinks, but I definitely wouldn't start this drug without one. Tamiflu is nasty stuff and there are all kinds of crazy side effects.

I had the swine flu (although in my 2nd trimester, not my 3rd) and honestly, the oscillococcinum really helped and it wasn't that bad at all. I'd also up my vitamin D if I were you. My OB didn't feel that tamiflu was safe for pregnant women, so it wasn't even offered.

· Registered
106 Posts
KoalaMommy, how much of oscillococcinum did you take, do you remember? My hubby is on his way to the store now to get me some. I'm pretty sure I was exposed to the flu earlier today and closer to the evening my throat is really hurting. I'm 22 weeks right now

· Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkysgirl View Post
well tamiflu only shortens the illness by about a half a day, maybe a day, you just got to weigh the risks and benifits
s

I'm pretty pro-medicine but if I got the swine flu (which I am just waiting to happen... ugh! What a time to be pregnant, eh?) I would *not* take the tamiflu. It might shorten your illness by a few days, but that is about it.

I would be very proactive about taking other stuff that is safe during pregnancy and monitoring your breathing. If breathing becomes difficult at *any* time I would get in touch with the OB and call local urgent cares/hospitals to see if they have space for you.

Take the expectorant and all that stuff to keep the junk out of the lungs.

Take care! Let us know what you decide and how you feel.

· Registered
4,379 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elfimka View Post
KoalaMommy, how much of oscillococcinum did you take, do you remember? My hubby is on his way to the store now to get me some. I'm pretty sure I was exposed to the flu earlier today and closer to the evening my throat is really hurting. I'm 22 weeks right now

I took 1 package, basically 2 days worth taking it 3 times a day. I really noticed a perk-up when I would take a dose. I just took it as described on the package.

Also, I'll say that I'm not a sufferer either. I combine natural treatments with medicine. I did use cough syrup to lessen the cough so I could sleep.

Having been told by my OB that Tamiflu was not safe, I didn't have much choice, but having watched the rest of my family deal with the side effects, I can't say I'm sorry. DH was terribly dizzy from it (he never got flu, was on the prophylactic treatment, so all of his symptoms could be attributed to the meds) and he had short term memory loss. He actually read half a book and remembered nothing from it, had to go back and re-read. It was freaky!!! Also, it doesn't shorten illness by a few days, it's by at most 1.5 days. That's not that much benefit in the end.

· Registered
106 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoalaMommy View Post
I took 1 package, basically 2 days worth taking it 3 times a day. I really noticed a perk-up when I would take a dose. I just took it as described on the package.

Also, I'll say that I'm not a sufferer either. I combine natural treatments with medicine. I did use cough syrup to lessen the cough so I could sleep.

Having been told by my OB that Tamiflu was not safe, I didn't have much choice, but having watched the rest of my family deal with the side effects, I can't say I'm sorry. DH was terribly dizzy from it (he never got flu, was on the prophylactic treatment, so all of his symptoms could be attributed to the meds) and he had short term memory loss. He actually read half a book and remembered nothing from it, had to go back and re-read. It was freaky!!! Also, it doesn't shorten illness by a few days, it's by at most 1.5 days. That's not that much benefit in the end.
Hmm, the one my husband bought comes in those little "capsules" that have many little tiny pills in them, and instructions say take the whole capsule 3 times a day.. Is it the same thing?

I took two doses of elderberry "Take Care" by New Chapter and a dose of Oscillococcinum, got a long night sleep, and I think it helped a lot! Thank you for telling me about Tamiflu side effects, I had no idea. Hopefully I won't get sicker and won't have to make a choice of whether or not to take it.

· Registered
1,184 Posts
Well I was wondering the same thing about Tamiflu.

Right now my 2 little kids are sick, and DH was exposed to someone with the flu (not sure if it was H1N1 or Influenza A). I'm assuming my kids got it that way. I've been being very proactive about my health since I really don't want to get sick - I'm 31 weeks pregnant. I'm very physically close with my sick kids, so I'm really taking this seriously. my sick toddler sleeps against me all night long with her little sweaty head and breathing!

These are the things I've been doing, and so far I've had no symptoms:
1. swallowing garlic cloves (chopping them into small pieces and swallowing them like I would a pill) --- several a day
2. taking a little bit of green tea (figure the benefits outweigh the bit of caffeine for right now)
3. Vitamin D (1 drop a day in juice)
4. Taking extra Vitamin C
5. Drinking hot herbal tea or water with lots of lemon (mw recommends this for changing acidity of the body)
6. Cod liver oil
7. avoiding sweets

· Registered
156 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkysgirl View Post
well tamiflu only shortens the illness by about a half a day, maybe a day, you just got to weigh the risks and benifits

My 3yo just had a positive flu test yesterday - this is what the dr said, too. Her POV was that the cost of the drug wasn't worth the return.

· Registered
468 Posts
I had a midwife appointment yesterday and she asked me my thoughts on the H1N1 vaccine to which I told her I was not getting it (I'm 35 weeks). She said "well then, if you start to get sick - cough, high fever - you should go to your health care professional and get Tamiflu". I told her that I thought it was not for pregnant women and that it had bad side effects? She said no, it's perfectly safe. She also said that should I get seriously ill and go in labor and end up in hospital (I'm planning a home birth) that they could do a c-section on me (WTF?) Honestly, I was feeling a little like she was trying to fear monger me (she is not my primary mid-wife, she is my secondary one). I sent an email to the office late last night after reading up on the Tamiflu website which clearly states that it is NOT recommended for pregnant or nursing women - and that is coming from the drug manufacturer themselves! Anyways, I sent all that info to her so I'm curious to see what comes back but at the same time I'm feeling uneasy that this is going on.

· Registered
3,213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama_2_Boy View Post
I had a midwife appointment yesterday and she asked me my thoughts on the H1N1 vaccine to which I told her I was not getting it (I'm 35 weeks). She said "well then, if you start to get sick - cough, high fever - you should go to your health care professional and get Tamiflu". I told her that I thought it was not for pregnant women and that it had bad side effects? She said no, it's perfectly safe. She also said that should I get seriously ill and go in labor and end up in hospital (I'm planning a home birth) that they could do a c-section on me (WTF?) Honestly, I was feeling a little like she was trying to fear monger me (she is not my primary mid-wife, she is my secondary one). I sent an email to the office late last night after reading up on the Tamiflu website which clearly states that it is NOT recommended for pregnant or nursing women - and that is coming from the drug manufacturer themselves! Anyways, I sent all that info to her so I'm curious to see what comes back but at the same time I'm feeling uneasy that this is going on.
It's interesting, all the different info and opinions. I was at the OB the week before for my first appt with the NP there. She offered the vax when it got there, I said no thanks. She said, ok, if you get the flu call us and we will call you in Tamiflu. I said, is it safe? (I had already researched)....and she said..."it is perfectly safe...Class B". So I got bad info there in general. Really bothersome to me. Ironically, I got the flu a week later. My OB wanted to start Tamiflu immediately. I called my GP who is a good friend and she said, no, dont take it...it is class C!

All so crazy. I didnt take it, I was very sick for 3-4 weeks, but it passed.

· Registered
2,999 Posts
My doctor and I thought both Ds and I had the flu and both of us do not
(It is a bacterial virus) he did the nasal swab he also told me when we were waiting for the results that he will not prescribe Tamiflu for anyone pregnant or not. He also used to be an OBGYN and he also does natural healing if that makes any difference to you??? feel better mama!

· Registered
587 Posts
I chose to take Tamiflu when I was 40+ weeks pregnant and for me, it was worth it if the flu was decreased by 1-2 days since I might be in labor and it would risk me out of my homebirth to be symptomatic with a fever, and flu symptoms. It did seem to help and I'm recovered now, and hopefully going into labor soon.

Also I felt better since my child was fully formed etc. I was nauseated the first day I took it but otherwise had no side effects.

I think if I had no reason to think the flu would put me into labor (i.e. preterm symptoms) or if I had no risk factors for developing pneumonia (which is the largest reason pregnant woman have been hospitalized due to the flu), I would choose to ride it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.