Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My 18mo will only sleep if he's touching me and nursing.  I'm sure he's capable of sleeping on his own, but I haven't figured out how to convince him that yet!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He's just about to get his 12th tooth, so I was thinking once that is all the way in we'd hopefully have a break in teething and I could start teaching him how to sleep independently.  I'm just not sure on where to begin.  Right now he will only nap while on my lap nursing or in the ergo nursing.  He'll nap for 2-3 hours this way...nursing the whole time!  If I try to lay him in bed, or sneak off after laying and nursing with him, he'll sleep 20 minutes tops then be wide awake and very grumpy.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It's the same at night.  He falls asleep at the breast usually with me walking around with him in the ergo.  If I try to transfer him to the bed, he wakes up and I nurse him while laying with him.  He'll nurse for an hour, pop off and roll over, then wake up 30 minutes later wanting to nurse again...all night long.  I'm done.  I'm totally night weaning asap and plan on using the Dr. Jay method.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So should I work on him taking naps independently in the bed first, or should I night wean first and hope that after being night weaned he'll know how to sleep long stretches without the boob?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>How do I do this?  Help!  LOL</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
8 Posts
<p>Wow, that is exactly how I spent the first 7 months! I know you said that if you lay child down he wakes up...so maybe to start (this is how I did it) STAY in the bed so you are there when he stirs and looks for more. I used the no-cry sleep solution advice of popping him off the nipple and if he roots let him back on, repeat. I finally learned the difference between him nursing and just holding the nipple with his mouth. He got used to sleeping in the bed for naps for longer stretches slowly but surely! We now still nurse frequently but on lucky days he takes 1.5 hour nap on his own! I feel your pain and I know 1.5 hours may not sound like much to some but it is the saving grace of my day! Often I have to go in at 45 min. and sneak back out. BTW my support group lovingly calls this the slippery nipple technique!</p>
<p>Good luck, we are currently thinking of trying to move him to his own room...there will never be if a sibling if he doesn't! We are going to implement this style of slippery nipple but in his own bed. (ditching the crib we never used for full mattress on the floor)</p>
<p>PS- In the beginning I kept the ipod touch in my pocket so when he slept I could quietly read blogs or play word with friends while waiting! Hang in there!!!</p>

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
<p>I'd start with night-weaning.  Once you manage that, then I'd reassess if naptime still needs help. </p>

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>Thanks for the replies!  I was leaning towards the night weaning first, but wasn't sure.  I think I'll go with that gut feeling, and give it a shot.  Once he's sleeping well at night, hopefully the naps will follow suit.  Thanks again!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts