Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made several of the lacto fermented vegetable recipes from NT. It was my first time, and I was wondering if the lids are supposed to seal like in pressure canning? It seems like 3 of them did and 3 didn't. Also, I was never too sure if my jars were too full or not full enough. I had to add a little filtered water to all of them to make them within one inch of the top. However, after a day of sitting out, my corn relish was leaking out the top. I opened it to remove a little liquid, so I don't know if that ruins it or not. I did use homemade whey instead of extra sea salt which is supposed to produce better results.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
There are different methods for fermenting veggies, I don't think any say that the lids actually have to seal. I use an open-top method, I put cheesecloth across the top and use the canning ring to prevent fruit flies from getting in, and only put the canning lid itself on when I'm ready to put the whole thing in the frig.<br><br>
If the level of your liquid goes too high, I'd open it up and push the veggies down with a clean spoon, you'll see lots of CO2 bubbles rise to the surface and you'll end up with more room--it's the production of CO2 that causes the liquid level to rise.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for clarifying, but now I have another question. I left them out for 3 days, and my house is 80 degrees, so I thought that would be enough, but now I've seen where everyone else seems to be leaving them out for a week. I've already put mine in the fridge. Should they be okay?

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
IME, it depends on a number of things. But to really tell about your jars, you'll need to taste them (each one, usually mine go at slightly different rates) and see if you like the flavor.<br><br>
Factors:<br>
-how much whey (more should go faster, but I've never used whey)<br>
-how much salt (more makes it go slower)<br>
-temp of kitchen<br>
-thickness of vegetable (cucumber slices go faster than whole cucumbers, for example)--sauerkraut, particularly, seems to take longer than NT suggests, but I don't think the recipe assumes an 80F kitchen either<br>
-luck

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
they'll be safe, certainly, but I'd take them, taste them, and if they don't taste nice and sour, leave them on the counter for a while longer.<br><br>
There's nothing to make the lids seal. You aren't changing the pressure of the lid. (except maybe with the carbon dioxide produced by the bacteria). they might seal, but I don't give it thought. You aren't really sealing it, your just covering it, kwim? (I know NT disagrees, but really, you're just covering it, not sealing it.)<br><br>
Generally you want to add brine, not water (or add a little salt with your water instead of makin a few tbs of brine is what I do.)<br><br>
sometimes they leak. Put them in a bowl, or on a towel for the first few days. I'd say my sourkraut leaks 80% of the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts