Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are each 9 years old. Still working fine.
They have been moved 3 times so far.
Next move will be half way across the country with professional movers that we are paying ourselves. No job to pay for our move this time.

Is it worth the expense to move them? We will be hiring the moving company regardless so its just the incremental expense.

If we don't I can sell on craigslist. The downside is potentially going longer without a washer and dryer and having to use disposable diapers which we have never done. (Though we will have to anyway for a few days during the drive to the new state b/c we don't have enough diapers to last the whole trip)

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I'd move them, definitely. Buying a new set is going to cost a lot -- the new high efficiency front loaders are PRICEY! Last year when DH and I were in the market, we had a really, really hard time finding the 'old school' kind and it was still about $700-800 for a new set.

I say if they still work, take 'em along!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I do have a tip, we moved our washer and dryer across country and the washer stopped working, we called sears and the guy asked me if we had put the moving bolts in - apparently there were some kind of bolts that secure the drum for moves, not having them in over such a long distance move cause problems. So if you do move them cross-country, look carefully at the manual to make sure there isn't anything recommended for that. I could easily see short moves not causing a problem, but the constant shaking from a long distance move being a problem.

You are probably paying about or more to move them as they are worth. HOWEVER, if you wouldn't buy a used washer/dryer when you get there, comparing their current value to the moving cost may not make sense. If you would buy a new washer dryer, you need to compare the moving cost to the cost of the new, taking into account the benefit of having new there.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Don't do it.

You can probably sell them for $100-200 on craigslist or in your local newspaper.

When we moved cross-country, it cost hundreds to move our washer/dryer from california to florida.

Where we moved to, our water was so different than that in our last location, that the rust-free set had rust within 6 months and fell apart within 2 years. I wish we had simply sold our set, which was in great condition before we left, and bought a new set here.

We recently bought a pretty good set for about $600 at Costco.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'd see how much extra it will cost to move them. If it's included as part of the household stuff, I wouldn't expect an extra charge (just them alone can be over $1000 though). I would move them. It's not unheard of for a good washer and dryer to last close to 20 years, and I guess the question is would you be in a position to purchase a new set as soon as you get there? If not, then I would move them.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Are you selling your home? Here it is pretty common to leave behind appliances. Our house came with six appliances (two fridges). It is just included in the purchase and sale agreement for the house.

Otherwise I would sell them, and then try to buy used ones when you get there, or find scratch and dent ones. The high efficiency ones that have come out over the last couple of years are more expensive to purchase but can save a lot on your utility bills over time, especially if you CD.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
It definitely depends on the cost it will be to move them, if you are planning on buying new or used if you do decide to sell them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If the cost to move them is less than the cost to replace them (and if you don't already intend to replace them in the next 2-3 years), then move them. Otherwise, sell them.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We would be buying new when we arrive. We will have the cash to buy new ones but we will also need other things for the house so there is the issue of just how much we want to have to buy immediately. We've been saving for this for a few years so thankfully the money is there, but we still need to make smart choices. The number one priority will be a king size bed.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
I'd keep them - they work.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Our movers charged us by the pound and gave us the rate so we could calculate. We sold or donated a lot when we moved, but we bought an equivalent used replacement when we got to the new house.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
We would be buying new when we arrive. We will have the cash to buy new ones but we will also need other things for the house so there is the issue of just how much we want to have to buy immediately. We've been saving for this for a few years so thankfully the money is there, but we still need to make smart choices. The number one priority will be a king size bed.

This all depends on what the quality of the machines are. I recently did a cross country move and we bought a new washer and a used dryer. The new front loads wring out the water like nothing you've ever seen! The dryer only cost me $40 as a thrift store.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I would probably take them with me as long as they are in good condition. Nine year really isn't that old for a well maintained washer and dryer.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I'd move them if the cost was less than buying new ones. My mom's washer/dryer are 16 years old, work great, no problems.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
My dad's washer is 12 years old and works great. It was my DH's washer when we met. My dad's dryer is even older, but the exact age is unknown...from the early 90s. It came with our house and it is gas. DH's was electric. Anyway, they were moved several times during their lives and they still work well.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Honestly, I think I new energy star rated washer will pay for itself pretty quickly even without a move (I live where water it expensive though).

The dryer is more complicated. In my experience they last a lot longer and if they break you can get along pretty good without them if you have the space for a clothesline (we line dry about 95% anyway. ) Will your new place have the right kind of hook up for your dryer?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'd sell them and buy used at your new location.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Leave them or try to sell them before you go. The odds of the appliances being moved and arriving in working condition arent worth the hassle. You say you have the $$ for new ones and the energy star front loaders are excellent IMO... We have 2 washers and 2 dryers (8 kids) and i use less water now then with 1 conventional set...

·
Registered
264 Posts
we just moved across country. We decided not to bring the washer and dryer with us, and our rental house did not have either, it didnt even have a FRIDGE. so we had to buy those 3 appliances for our rental house . are you using a moving company or something like PODS. we used PODS and it was so much cheaper (thousands!) than a moving company.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts