Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a pouch with my 11 month old since she was a newborn, and prior to that, used my homemade sling with my older daughter. I just started trying out an ABC/mei tai and for the past 2 weeks, my right shoulder is really bothering me! DD2 is 23 lbs, and I was starting to feel her weight...this is why I bought an ABC. But with this sudden shoulder pain, I'm wondering did I do something majorly wrong with this new carrier?

FWIW, I cannot get the hang of the ABC (which is why I'm selling one of the two I bought), mainly because it's not conducive for quick trips in and out of the house and car. Thanks to the advice of some very kind mamas on the Babywearing yahoo group, I think I'm carrying DD correctly, but something is *still* off, and of course, this pain is not right.

Advice?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Well, it probably depends on how the carrier fits on you. Is it too long or too short for your torso? Does it allow you to distribute the weight evenly? While wearing it, is there anything uncomfortable? Are the shoulder straps padded?
I used to get sharp pains in under my shoulderblade. Not from a carrier, but because my body was getting used to carrying this extra weight in awkward ways. I started using an upper body workout video and has improved my strength in these areas. I no longer get any pains.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Get a LLL wrap - they are definitely the best i used mine from 6 months to over 2 years, they are great, 6 metre ones are the best as you can wrap it around your waist for extra support. I cannot recommend it enough. Please contact me it you need help with tying - the double cross with a pocket would be best for you - you'll notice the difference immediately, all the weight goes on your butt and thighs and not on your shoulders or back.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LLL wrap? Where can I get that? Never heard of it.

When I first wore the mei tai, I was wearing DD too low and it was causing the pain in both shoulders. But this week I haven't been wearing DD very much at all since we've been inside most of the time and she likes running around at home, and my right shoulder *still* hurts. I think I need to visit the chiropractor.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
My guess would be that the weight is being distributed unevenly. I'm somewhat new to ABCs, and I have a big problem making sure that both shoulders are carrying equal weight. It's pretty easy to get one strap pulled tigher than the other.

It could also be related to the WAY you're trying it. Have you tried a different position or tie to see if that would relieve the problem?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.