Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I DVR Oprah, and I watched the show from a few days ago about "intersex" people, and one of the guests said something that struck a chord with me. Hida was born with an enlarged clitoris and Oprah asked if her parents considered surgery. Hida said her parents decided against the clitoral reduction because "Everybody knows you shouldn't operate if you can help it, especially on a baby." Oprah agreed. Could I possibly take this quote and turn it into a show idea for them about circ? Something along the lines of saying that quote from Hida and then saying that it's not true because of RIC. That newborn baby boys are operated on everyday in this country without medical reason, etc. Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverspook View Post
"Everybody knows you shouldn't operate if you can help it, especially on a baby."
That struck me also.

The same day, my TiVo picked up some show about expecting moms called something about mother savvy. It was almost a balanced presentation, but it just didn't come out and say intact foreskin is great.

If Oprah ever takes on circumcision you can bet she'll do her super-broad zero-depth coverage, with cuttting and non-cutting parents, mohels and D.O.C. guys, restorers and those fetish guys who advocate adult circ, and 2 tearful guys; one who was severely mutilated and one who was teased in the locker room.

-Ron

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Quote:

So I DVR Oprah, and I watched the show from a few days ago about "intersex" people, and one of the guests said something that struck a chord with me. Hida was born with an enlarged clitoris and Oprah asked if her parents considered surgery. Hida said her parents decided against the clitoral reduction because "Everybody knows you shouldn't operate if you can help it, especially on a baby." Oprah agreed. Could I possibly take this quote and turn it into a show idea for them about circ? Something along the lines of saying that quote from Hida and then saying that it's not true because of RIC. That newborn baby boys are operated on everyday in this country without medical reason, etc. Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!
Oprah will never touch it!!

She is too busy bragging about the baby foreskin in her favorite anti aging cream...so for her I'll bet she would say that MGM is necessary surgery, otherwise she wouldn't have her cream.

http://www.gnn.tv/headlines/13051/Foreskin_Face_Cream

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Oprah will never touch it!!

She is too busy bragging about the baby foreskin in her favorite anti aging cream...so for her I'll bet she would say that MGM is necessary surgery, otherwise she wouldn't have her cream.

http://www.gnn.tv/headlines/13051/Foreskin_Face_Cream
Oy. I forgot about that.
:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Quote:

"Everybody knows you shouldn't operate if you can help it, especially on a baby." Oprah agreed.
I had that exact same thought when I heard that line. If she ever even approaches the topic it will be a slow, slow process. I seriously doubt she would say anything at all, but she might let a guest say something. (Like having Jenny McCarthy suggest that vax harmed her child. - it was at least a step). Hopefully it could be a guest with some pull - maybe Dr. Oz??? I've wondered about him. Now that I'm pregnant I thought about writing in to "Ask Dr. Oz" about circ, but I'd rather know he was pro-intact before I ask the question. And it's a bit dishonest 'cause I already know there is no choice to make.

·
Registered
552 Posts
At least Dr. Oz illustrates a whole penis in You: The Owner's Manual !
It even has captions for the parts - there's the foreskin, and the fiveskin! But no mention anywhere that I recall of circ. wonder what he thinks??

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleRockstar View Post
Now that I'm pregnant I thought about writing in to "Ask Dr. Oz" about circ, but I'd rather know he was pro-intact before I ask the question. And it's a bit dishonest 'cause I already know there is no choice to make.
I'll bet we could phrase it well enough to do some education.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've always wondered about Oprah. When she featured the show on fistulas she said how if men had problems with their penises you would be sure they would hear about it: while I was screaming at the TV - circumcision anyone?
. Too much work for her
:

:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
I think her support of this cream is disgusting.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I stopped watching Oprah LONNNG ago. She's a joke. My jaw not only fell, but ran away screaming, when she had her eas pierced - with a gun - was it by a cosmetologist? - on the show. Cute. The foreskin facial cream? I haven't seen my jaw in a while now. I refuse to watch her.

Who is that one guy who does the shows with that psychic lady... Sylvia Brown is that right? He brings up some pretty serious stuff without turning it into a circus. I don't watch much TV but when he's on, he can be pretty questioning of things. He might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Organicavocado View Post
Who is that one guy who does the shows with that psychic lady... Sylvia Brown is that right? He brings up some pretty serious stuff without turning it into a circus. I don't watch much TV but when he's on, he can be pretty questioning of things. He might be worth looking into.
Montel Wiliams, Problem with him is that he seems to recently been bought out by the medical community. He now is the spokes person for the company where you can call and get your medication free from the drug manufaturers.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Montel just did a special on soldiers who suffered ill effects from the Anthrax vaccine...he's not totally bought and paid for, I guess. Unlike O. Its a damn shame to, cause she is in such a great and powerful position to do something about MGM.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by serendipity22 View Post
I think her support of this cream is disgusting.
Oprah,Montel...they will never touch the subject. It would be suicide for their career. And we all know why.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.