Mothering Forum banner
41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
i love this thread! we just had to cut DS1 hair because of LICE! i couldnt get a comb through it because it is so thick! but now that he is bug free, we are growing it back out. DS2 has never had his cut (he is 20 months) but it is so very thin and wispy still that i think i am going to have to trim aroung the bottom and over the ears once to get the super fuzzy baby hair off. really DS2s hair is more like peach fuzz, with a few long sprigs lol! and its really peach colored too, so its sort of funny!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Reactions: jennytuk

·
Registered
317 Posts
ShadowMoon your son is absolutely adorable with long and short hair and your pictures made me feel better. The first picture below was taken a few months ago at exactly 2 1/2 years. It was definitely the shaggiest it had gotten and I loved it. DH requested that I trim it after that but it was still skimming his shoulders. Yesterday, I heard that awful silence that means DS is up to something and came in to find him cutting his hair. I actually got lucky that I didn't have to cut it shorter and he now has a little page boy cut.

[IMG alt="DS 2.5 years" data-id="22200" data-type="61"]http://cdn.mothering.com/6/6a/1000x500px-LL-6afd8d9d_DSCN5413.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG alt="Today" data-id="22201" data-type="61"]http://cdn.mothering.com/a/a2/1000x500px-LL-a279ae3e_DSCN5662.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG alt="Hair Cut" data-id="22202" data-type="61"]http://cdn.mothering.com/1/18/1000x500px-LL-18808c3e_DSCN5660.JPG[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
we have to keep our son's hair trimmed because it grows so funny. it get REALLY long REALLY quickly in front and then doesn't grow as fast on the sides or back. so, he's constantly annoyed if the hair is flopping down into his eyes. however, i love his little boy look. :)

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
I'm glad this was bumped 'cause I have a question!! How do you keep the long hair untangled???? DS's is just about at his shoulders (would be longer except he wanted me to cut it several months ago) and it's kind of crazy (not really curly or wavy, just... not straight!!!) Half the time it looks like a rat's nest but he won't let me comb it (and makes it worse when he combs it himself
lol.gif
). Any secret to keeping it manageable????

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well, DS's hair isn't straight, but it is long and curly.When I wash it in the bath, it's below his shoulders, but it curls up a ton when dry. He's 17 months and hasn't had a haircut yet. (I do trim his bangs when they get long enough that they are in his eyes.)

I just love seeing boys with long hair or hair with personality!

DH, my mom, my MIL, pretty much everyone except one friend of mine is always on my case about cutting his hair. I refuse to get his hair cut right now. Once those curls are cut off, they might never come back.

I just don't get it. He's a baby. I don't understand what the big hurry is to rush him into the barber and get his hair cut super short so he'll look like every other 1 1/2 year old boy in America.
shrug.gif

Yes, he gets called a girl by strangers. I don't mind.

Between the long hair, the teething necklace and the girly carriers I wear him in, I totally understand why people think he's a girl. Once he is old enough to decide for himself, I'll happily take him to get his hair cut if that's what he wants. Til then, I suppose everyone around me will need to get over themselves.
Sheepish.gif

Here are a couple of pics from a few weeks ago:

Slicked back and tucked behind his ears.

IMG_5237.jpg

And the back:

IMG_5248.jpg

One more:

IMG_5541.jpg

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy momma View Post

ShadowMoon your son is absolutely adorable with long and short hair and your pictures made me feel better. The first picture below was taken a few months ago at exactly 2 1/2 years. It was definitely the shaggiest it had gotten and I loved it. DH requested that I trim it after that but it was still skimming his shoulders. Yesterday, I heard that awful silence that means DS is up to something and came in to find him cutting his hair. I actually got lucky that I didn't have to cut it shorter and he now has a little page boy cut.

DS 2.5 years

Today

Hair Cut
What a cutie! I LOVE his hair before and now. The page boy cut just makes me melt.
luxlove.gif

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old conversation, but I've been getting SO much flack about my son's hair, that I just started browsing around for some moral support. I just adore his hair, he doesn't dislike it at all, and he couldn't care less if everyone who doesn't know him refers to him as a girl. I think it is kinda funny because he's probably the most rambunctious, in to trouble 'girl' they've ever seen. He also wears standard issue 'boy clothes', but that really doesn't matter. When he was 2 his head was a curly mass of hair, but now it is longer, past his shoulders, and just curly on the ends. If I cut it he will be curl-less :( I'm not sure I'm ready for that. What do y'all think?

Tobias at 2

And now at 3

I've been thinking of gritting my teeth and trying a little pageboy cut. But I'd rather do nothing. :) P.S. I have 5 kids and he's my baby, so that probably explains why I'm so hesitant to have him 'grow up' in the hair department.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Porcelina :) Because I'm a new member my photos are awaiting approval. Your little guy is a doll! And I don't think he looks feminine at all with the lengthy locks. Not that it matters :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a new member as of today as I ran across this forum with other moms getting flack ( she she she,,,, why don't you cut his hair?,,,,blah blah blah) from people, everybody in my world, about their boys' hair being long. Well to all those people I say "Give it a rest, your nasty or condescending comments are NOT going to make me run home and cut his hair!" Bravo to all the moms who have the courage to so what they like with their OWN children. My Cole just turned 3 and his hair is very long (past middle of his back), healthy and beautiful, and above all, he LOVES it. Normally I either slick it back, or slick ponytail, or bandana (which is my fave) or his "Plain Geometry" brimless hats.

If/when he wants it short or cut shorter then that's what I'll do (I cut hair). I trimmed it once right before his 2nd birthday, other than that, it just grows. I teach him to always be respectful to everybody, but now I hear him saying to people "Go get your hair cut" or " Leave my hair alone, no haircuts ever"!

My children range from 3yrs. to 28yrs. and the longer you are a mom the less you value other peoples' opinions and value your own more!

Stick to your guns moms and do what you want for your child and what your child wants when they're old enough to choose. I will post pics as soon as I am allowed as a member.

~Blessed Be~

41 - 60 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.