Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever do this & get their VBAC? My access to midwives is limited (not legal), and we live 30 minutes from the hospital so I'm not sure about a HBAC. Just wondering if it's been done, and how sucessfully. Kind of like a 'Plan C'.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I know someone in real life who did that. She had a midwife and a doula, but had a hospital vbac. She waited until the urge to push to go to the hospital, and had her baby less than 20 minutes later. Went home with baby that same day.

Not me. I knew good and well that as afraid as I am of doctors and the hospital, that my labor would stall out again and I would never deliver vaginally under such stress and anxiety. If you feel comfortable giving birth in the hospital, like my friend does, that wouldn't be an issue for you.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I just had a hospital VBAC with midwife on Sat morning and did this.
It wasn't exactly planned to be like that, but that's how it worked. I live about 35 minutes from the hospital and when we got there I was complete and ready to push!

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
why not just have a homebirth? no bumpy ride in traffic while in transition, no risking having baby in the car?

I think there seems to be this thought that the baby actually being born is the most dangerous part of birth.

I guess I just wonder if you'll wait until nearly pushing, why not just stay home?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I highly recommend a monitrice or a midwife who can check you before you go. For my c/s baby I "thought" I was at 8 cm bc of my emotional signs, but got to the hospital at 2 cm!!!
For my vbac, I had a monitrice who checked me and we didn't go until after 5 cm.
I've known mommas to rent a hotel and labor there until the last minute. You'll figure something out!!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
You know I thought about this option long and hard, my OB fired me at 28wks. I was beside myself. The more research I did on VBACs the more I realized that if anything were to go wrong, it was likely to go wrong before the pushing stage. This is particularly an importan for vbac mothers, if I had had my previous children vaginally, I probably would do as most of my friends do and go to the hospital last minute. However, I am a vbac mother and I needed the peace of mind of a midwife to monitor my labor for signs of a uterine rupture and to keep me and my baby safe. And once I decided I needed to hire a mw if for nothing else but to monitor my labor, it just lead naturally to a hb b/c I could and it felt right from the start.
I too am petrified of hospitals and doctors make me angry these days. I knew that I didn't want a baby in that hospital. I blame the hospital routine procedures and protocols for my 1 st c/s along w my own fears. I finally got what I wanted since I became pregnant with ds1 in 1998 - a homebirth. My vision of laboring in a tub of water in our basement back in 1998 became a reality on our enclosed back porch in 2004.
I wouldn't personally recommend any vbacing woman to labor w/o knowledgable help on hand.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts

Quote:
I highly recommend a monitrice or a midwife who can check you before you go. For my c/s baby I "thought" I was at 8 cm bc of my emotional signs, but got to the hospital at 2 cm!!!
You can also check yourself (or at least I could). Highly suggest "Taking Charge of Your Fertility." It was honestly an amazing part of my pg, labor & delivery. Of course, while DS was getting ready to be born I felt around and was like, "Gosh this is a hairless head--- that's really odd" (my family has *very* hairy babies). Of COURSE, it was the bag of waters, :LOL Not sure that's a great advertisement, though!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I tried checking myself in the last weeks of pregnancy and I could never reach my darned cervix, didn't think to try checking during labor though.

I wanted a homebirth with my VBAC but due to the @#$%^& laws in my state which prohibit direct-entry midwives from attending VBACs, I couldnt find a midwive and I was not open to UC at the time so I pretty much had to have a hospital birth.

I hired a doula and stayed home quite a long time during labor, we went to the hospital when I was having some signs of transition, shaking, vomiting, etc. But I was only 5cm when we got there. I was at the hospital for about 3 hours before my son was born. It's good we waited as long as we did, I had a nasty nurse and I know the doc would have tried to push an epidural (he does them himself and spent a lot of time trying to convince me to get one at prenatals
) so I avoided a lot of things I was trying to, but had some other things I didn't really want but gave in to (AROM, internal monitor) If I had to do it again, I'd wait till I was pushing or at least have someone check dilation before I went in since we live only 10 minutes from the hospital, but next time we are looking at all out of hospital options.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I did this too. Labored at home with a midwife until I was 9cm, then went to the hospital. Originally, I'd planned on a homebirth, but we ran into some roadblocks with the Air Force (DH is active duty), so this was my best chance for a VBAC at the time. Worked fine, except my cervix shrank back to 8cm during the 1/2 hour drive and the baby went posterior. Still got my VBAC, and it was great!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm seriously considering this for when this baby comes. My OB is rather medical model oriented. Due to insurance constraints and the almost total lack of midwives in my area (also she has a lot of experience w/ women that have anticardiolipin antibodies as I do), I'm probably not going to change docs. I want to avoid as many interventions as possible. The idea of a rupture does worry me, but the idea of unnecessary interventions scares me even more. I just don't know what to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.