Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is fairly trivial compared to most of the other things I'm doing to prepare for the birth of my ds in April (my 2nd.... dd is 2 1/2)

I had an uncomplicated vaginal hospital birth last time with an epidural. The only sticking point at the end was that I did bleed quite a bit. I felt woozy afterwards, but was up and walking farily quickly and within an hour or so, felt pretty good. I had dd in the afternoon, and would have loved to take a shower so I could change into my non hospital gown and feel refreshed, but the nurse said I should wait until the next morning. This isn't really a big deal, but I was wondering how cantankerous to be this time around... Technically, if I don't ask, maybe the nurse won't say anything and I'll just do it anyways... or I suppose I could just sneak in for a quick splash. I know the reason is probably that they don't want mamas to faint, but if I'm feeling good, and I don't take a hot shower, do you think I'd be in the clear? It made me feel sooo much better to be fresh clean and not sweaty and disheveled anymore! Just curious about other's experiences. I am planning on a natural birth using hypno babies this time, and using a midwife to help make sure I have the support I need, so maybe keeping things without the epidural would give me more freedom of movement anyways.

· Registered
4,421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaki View Post
I had two non-medicated hospital births, and both times I was in the shower within an hour or so after their births.
This for me. Maybe even 45 mins after DS2. The nurse on duty stood outside the bathroom door convinced I would fall or something.

· Registered
387 Posts
Ditto no movement restrictions on my natural hospital births. I took a shower and changed into my after birth clothes (didn't do the gown thing) with in the first half hour to hour.

· Registered
420 Posts
I was incredibly sore after my birth and my bladder was shot. I stood up and was done peeing before I reached the bathroom. I had to call maintenance every so often to get them to clean up after me. So I waited until the next morning. I couldn't move very well. I had just settled back into bed when my hubby walked in announcing that my entire Sunday school class was in the hallway waiting to see me!

· Registered
232 Posts
With #1 I had an epi that didn't want to wear off on one leg. I had DS at 6:08 pm and one leg was still numb 5 hours later. The shower didn't happen till the next day. With #2, the epi didn't work, so I essentially had a natural birth. I was so jazzed over the birth that I got a shower right away, even though I'd gone 24 hours w/out sleep.

· Registered
1,015 Posts
No one told me when I could or couldn't shower after my natural hospital birth, but I was very sore and woozy and had to wait until the next day. It felt good, but I was still woozy then.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
I had an NCB with my DD and was encouraged to get in the shower by the staff! I couldn't pee and standing under the running water helped my muscles "remember" what to do. I think I took a nice long bath first (my upper body was pretty sore) and then a shower an hour or two after DD was born. It was heavenly.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
I've had two hospital births with no meds and both times I showered a few hours later. It felt absolutely heavenly, I have to say. I would guess it has to do with 1) whether you had meds and they had worn off and 2) how much blood you lost. Although I had a bit of problem with bleeding both times, I never felt woozy when I got up from the bed. So, I'd be careful, you don't want to fall in the shower--at least make sure someone else is in the room with you or the nurse knows when you go into the shower.

· Registered
3,106 Posts
I've fainted in the shower a couple of times (not birth-related though). I think something about the hot water and steam can cause it if you are woozy already. One of the falls resulted in some nasty bruises on my back from the faucet/handles, yuck!

So I guess I'd say to not have the water on too hot and maybe have someone within earshot, just in case.

· Premium Member
9,652 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post
i've had two natural births in hospitals (no meds) and was up and moving within the hour with both. there were never any restrictions on showering, walking down the hall, or anything.

good luck and happy birthing!!
Yes... that's me, too.

· Registered
1,423 Posts
i couldn't move / get out of bed until after they removed the epidural, which they didn't do until the next day. they were still pumping meds in me from it b/c of the c-section.

was i ever so happy to get the cath out and be able to stand up! and, the shower was nice, but rather akward b/c of the IV. having a plastic bag on it and only being able to use one hand was tough.

· Registered
197 Posts
Considering the blood loss, waiting might not have been bad advice. I had pretty massive blood loss last time and alway felt great while sitting which led to some near accidents when I tried to do too much.

However, only you really know how you feel. As long as you are sure you're fine (like test stand for a while first) I don't see why you couldn't stand your ground and insist on a shower.

· Registered
774 Posts
I had a bath with #3 that had PPH, due to the wooziness. But #4 I got up and got a shower within the first hour because I didn't bleed too much. It was a quick one though, just the easiest way to clean up IMO!

· Registered
1,548 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
I have always been ecouraged to shower when I wanted to. In fact, I was encouraged to shower to help me pee as I had a hard time peeing after my births. Felt great! Was within 45 minutes probably.
This was me too. I could not imagine telling a mom who just gave birth she could not shower, unless she was unable to stand. BUT I have no experience personally with Epidural, but have been present as doula for moms who did have one and once they were able to walk they were able to shower.
I would hold my ground on that one. It is complete laziness on the nurses part, there is no reason they can not be near if you need assistance, that is their job.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.