Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I never hand-stitch another eyelet I will be very, very happy. Maybe my fingers will forgive me one of these years. Still, I brought it on myself in the quest for near-historical-accuracy.

the outfit
different view
closeup of blackwork on cuffs
closeup of blackwork on coif

Stats:
- two linen petticoats (purple under black, drawstring waists, hand-hemmed)
- muslin shift/chemise with blackworked cuffs and purchased eyelet trim on collar (I'm going to upgrade to linen when I can afford it, and make my own trim)
- wool square-necked doublet with cotton lining and underlining in lieu of boning (it's looser than I'd intended, but it'd be a PITA to fix, so I'm leaving it as-is) ...(the armscyes and neckline are hand-topstitched, and the eyelets are hand-stitched, which was the most painful part of the whole project) ...(the aglets on the cord are made from foil tape, since I have neither the skill nor the tools to make "real" ones)
- linen coif with blackworked edge (the front edge/point is wired, which helps the coif stay on my head... the blackwork design was inspired by "Portrait of Joan the Mad" by Juan de Flandes)

Comments?

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Wow! That's amazing!
I'm a nut about historical costume accuracy too....maybe that's why I've never tried to make my own, I'd get too frustrated!

Gorgeous!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Nice work!

Are you coming out to KRF to show it off????

I really need to get sewing a new costume for myself. I own the damn costume rental shop and I don't have a thing to wear!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm planning to be at KRF on September 3rd.
I'll also be at the New York Renaissance Faire, the Sterling Renaissance Festival, and the Connecticut Renaissance Faire (now in Hebron, CT in the hopes of not being flooded again).

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Cool!
Stop in and say "hi", I'm boot #2, right inside the front gate!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not only are you truly talented but you have the patience of a saint!!!

What a great job!

I used to train horses and riders for civil war re-enactments in MD To ride in them at Antietan (SP?) and Gettysburg!

You LOOK GREAT!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts