Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't met her yet, but her name is Danielle Cooper. She's at LSU. My first appointment with her is at the end of August.

Any recommendations for shops, markets, or restaurants? It's overwhelming moving to a new city!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Michelle
. I'm in your area. What kind of shopping are you looking for? We've been here for 5 years so I know the area pretty well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
it took awhile for sport to grown on me...but it was fine when we moved....
Sunshine is great for shopping & they have a natural foods cafe.
Earthreal is WONDERFUL for vegetarian fare...they do sell 2 or 3 non veggies meals.
Healthy Planet is a wonder vegan cafe for lunch only. It & earthreal are only open during the week for lunch.
Monjuni's is great (the one on Louisiana St.) We used to like Taco Mania but the last time we went it wasn't too good...the Dos XX are really good & cold (draft).
Superior Grill is VERY popular, good & crowded (Line Ave).
Bella Fresca (good & expensive...go before you have kids or get a sitter).

Where are you living? That will really dictate where to shop...Can't go wrong with Super Target.

Just curious, why did you chose LSU?

Amie

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
What kind of shopping are you looking for? We've been here for 5 years so I know the area pretty well.
I was looking for info on places that aren't everywhere...I have "expectations" about national chains you know...but sometimes it's hard to "take a chance" on a local place....but usually they're the best!

I'm also looking for a place that sells Italian cheeses and cuts of meat not typically found in the food store. I haven't noticed a strong Italian community in Shreveport
but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Quote:
Sunshine is great for shopping & they have a natural foods cafe.
Earthreal is WONDERFUL for vegetarian fare...they do sell 2 or 3 non veggies meals.
Healthy Planet is a wonder vegan cafe for lunch only. It & earthreal are only open during the week for lunch.
Monjuni's is great (the one on Louisiana St.) We used to like Taco Mania but the last time we went it wasn't too good...the Dos XX are really good & cold (draft).
Superior Grill is VERY popular, good & crowded (Line Ave).
Bella Fresca (good & expensive...go before you have kids or get a sitter).
I drove by Earthreal and wondered about it the other day....glad to hear it's good. Before being pregnant, I was mostly a vegetarian. We'll have to check out all those places. Thanks!

We live out off the south side of Cross Lake...nothing's really close....but I have to say, the highway system in Shreveport is great and I can get anywhere it seems in less than 15 minutes...and since I'm not working now, I have no restraints on time!

Quote:
Just curious, why did you chose LSU?
My husband is a resident at LSU and our insurance/out-of-pocket costs and his schedule dictate the decision. If I chose another location, he couldn't guarantee that he'd be able to be with me for the birth.

Michele

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I just recently discovered Healthy Planet and I LOVE it
. Good food, good prices, not much ambiance, though. They have a shipment of organic produce come in every Monday morning, and their prices are WAY reasonable!

Another favorite is Los Vaqueros on North Market. They've only been open for a month, but have by far the best Mexican food I've ever had (and I grew up in Texas!) at VERY REASONABLE prices. They also have a good selection of vegetarian platters. I like Yeero! Yeero!, near Youree and Southfield, also. They're prices are higher, but the food is excellent. And China Hot at Line and E. 70th is excellent as well. For Italian, I like Zia Maria's at ******* and Captian Shreve (across from the Broadmoor Library). My favorite coffee house is Courtyard Coffee between Micheals and Sam's club on Youree Drive (just south of Target). All of these restaurants are family owned and operated and provide excellent service.

I don't know about Italian cheese specifically, but Cuban liquor store at Fairfield and Pierremont has a meat and cheese counter as well as an excellent selection of alcohol
. There are a couple of meat markets in town also, but I've never been to any of them.

The Kroger at E. 70th and Youree and the Brookeshire's at Line and Pierremont both have a great selection of health food products at reasonable prices, but are pricey on everything else. I also know the woman who heads up the Ozark Co-Op in town, so if you'd like some information from her, let me know and I'll put you in touch with her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts