Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My almost 2 year old is almost night weaned (just a couple more weeks) and he's sleeping in our bed. My 4 year old starts the night in his bed, in his room, and usually crawls into our bed around 4 am.

Soon after my youngest is night weaned, Dh and I are wanting both boys to share the bed in their room, and mom and dad actually get their bed to themselves for a few hours at night.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to help our youngest make the transition out of mom and dad's bed and into his brother's (making it a sibling bed).

I am feeling a bit of guilt having my 2 year old move out of our room already, but he's taking up about half of our Queen bed. And it would be nice to sleep next to my husband once again.

Any one else had success with a sibling bed?

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
My brother and I shared a bunk bed for years (and then two twin beds in the same room for even longer). My parents made the move to the bunk bed a sort of "camping adventure party" with flashlights and glowing stars on the ceiling and smores. I don't know if that would work for your family, but maybe having your 4 year old pick out a theme or something to welcome his sib.

The No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers has a chapter on sibling beds which has lots of ideas too so it might be worth finding a copy.

Good luck with the sleep planning!

·
Registered
365 Posts
We'll be moving our boys to their room pretty soon. (My 3.5yo already sleeps there full time, sometimes with dh.) I thought I would start with the nap. Where does your 2yo nap? If he got used to his new spot for naptime, perhaps that would make the nighttime transition easier?

I actually moved my little one out of our bed abruptly when he was about 13 mo, after he fell out one night. I put him on a low mattress in our room, and he did great. When it got hot this summer, I moved the low mattress to our guest room, which has a fan, and shares a closet with our room (easy to hear through). He is sleeping there all night, but I go in to nurse him several times each night. I'll probably start the transition to both of them in one room by moving that mattress into the new room, or by getting him to nap on his new bunkbed.

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
: My sister and I shared a bed for many many years and then shared a room in separate for even more years, I hope my kids will enjoy that also.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My twin boys share a bed at four years old. They have since birth and will for 2+ years I'd imagine (from how it's going so far).

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
we're fortunate enough to have a very large room. so, next to our king size bed is a queen size bed that our 6 and 4 yr old share. in the fall, we'll probably be moving them, (bed and all) into another room. I think it will be okay, if not, we'll just move them back.

Is there any way to put a small bed next to you yours? I'm thinking 2yr slowly moving into bed next to yours; when 4yr old comes into your room, he goes into bed with 2yr instead of you. When they are adjusted to each other (and not climbing back in with you) you can move the whole thing out. Make sense? (I just inhaled a twix bar and am giddy with sugar
)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am interested in this as well, and have been thinking of trying it. My 4.5 y/o sleeps in her own room, and our 26 month old is in bed with us. She has never slept alone and I was thinking it would be easier for her to go straight in to bed with her sister- when she is ready
My younger dd has pretty much night weaned- but I still love cuddling with her

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shenjall
Is there any way to put a small bed next to you yours?
We did this for our oldest. He slept in a toddler bed next to ours. It worked great! But unfortunatly, we switched rooms with the boys a month ago (so they now have the enough room for bunk bed, toys, play space) and we have no room in our room now for anything more than a camping mat on the floor. Hmmm. Perhaps I could move my little guy there. It just seems far away. But I guess it's not as far as a seperate room.

But I wonder, is it better to sleep on the floor next to mom and dad, or in a bed next to your brother?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Quote:
But I wonder, is it better to sleep on the floor next to mom and dad, or in a bed next to your brother?
Good question. I guess wherever you feel safe.

Before our king and queen sleeping arrangement....
I know when ds was 2.5 and in his own bed sharing a room with his brothers, he was up all the time. (coming into our room)
So we "maguyvered" his old crib to be a side sleeper. (newborn was in our bed) and he slept thru the nite! So, he was alot more cramped, but slept better than when he was with his brother......

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
I dont really know, as we have only one LO, but at 3 1/4 we still co-sleep. But i will for sure, (if we have more kids) transition them to a sibling bed when they no longer want to be in our bed.
But when a queen bed was no longer big enough for the 3 of us comfortably, we got 2 double futons and put them on the floor side-by-side, so there's plenty of room for all, and for LO #2 if it happens

1 - 13 of 13 Posts