Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our two boys (age 7 and almost 5) are having so many sibling issues it’s pushing my husband and I over the edge. We’re yelling, threatening and all of the above over their hourly/by the the minute conflicts. Everything is an argument, the little one antagonizes the big one and the big one takes EVERYTHING so personal. I have tried the whole “narrator vs referee” and trying to validate feelings and that doesn’t work either. We are at a loss and it’s causing stress in our family. Please help! Here’s an example of a recent argument. Younger brother was making waffles, I told him to get the syrup from the pantry it was too high so he came back to get a stool. Older brother thinking he was helping goes in to get it and younger brother says “hey mom told me to get the syrup”. Older brother got mad and got in his face and he doesn’t hit him but he will touch him on his arm in an aggressive way. Older brother said “he was being rude to me and he is always rude to me”. Something like this happens every hour or more. We’re exhausted, please help.

· Registered
44 Posts
I think it was Bill Cosby who said it best years ago in one of his stand up comedy shows, "I don't consider parents with only one child to be real parents, they miss out on too many things,.....he's touching me, she won't give my my toy, ......" We raised 3 boys and a girl (now grown) we've still not regained our sanity. God took pity upon my husband as he became hard of hearing, myself I just tried to zone out. Lot's of luck!

· Registered
30 Posts
I think it was Bill Cosby who said it best years ago in one of his stand up comedy shows, "I don't consider parents with only one child to be real parents, they miss out on too many things,.....he's touching me, she won't give my my toy, ......" We raised 3 boys and a girl (now grown) we've still not regained our sanity. God took pity upon my husband as he became hard of hearing, myself I just tried to zone out. Lot's of luck!
My father has hearing aides. He calls it going off line when he takes them out and it can be total choas and he can just sit and read and hear nothing

· Registered
2 Posts
I could have written this about my own (12 and 13). The youngest also antagonizing the oldest in my house too, and because the big one has autism, She takes things VERY personal. Our situations are very similiar, Mine fought over who pours milk this morning. I wish I knew the words to help get you through this, but I'm just here to say I'm sending you a hug; because I know how overwhelming being in this situation can be; Currently I have mine retiring to their rooms with a reading book after supper (They fight through the wall, regardless), But in that time ... I take me time, I put on headphones, or I try to breathe from the stress of the day, Self care. We are often so caught up in the chaos of things, that we forget we matter too. You matter, so send them to their rooms (Or separate rooms if they share a room, with something to do), and just do something for you to relax. This, is what my therapist suggested anyway, Sometimes it works ... Sometimes, well ... You know.

· Registered
92 Posts
I could have written this about my own (12 and 13). The youngest also antagonizing the oldest in my house too, and because the big one has autism, She takes things VERY personal. Our situations are very similiar, Mine fought over who pours milk this morning. I wish I knew the words to help get you through this, but I'm just here to say I'm sending you a hug; because I know how overwhelming being in this situation can be; Currently I have mine retiring to their rooms with a reading book after supper (They fight through the wall, regardless), But in that time ... I take me time, I put on headphones, or I try to breathe from the stress of the day, Self care. We are often so caught up in the chaos of things, that we forget we matter too. You matter, so send them to their rooms (Or separate rooms if they share a room, with something to do), and just do something for you to relax. This, is what my therapist suggested anyway, Sometimes it works ... Sometimes, well ... You know.
Hugs it can wear on you and there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking time for you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts