Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charlotte, my 8 month old, is very sick right now. My older kids had a 24 hour stomach flu last week and it might be the same thing, however the doctor thinks it could be rotavirus. She hasn't been able to keep much down since Sunday afternoon and has little appetite now. I've been pumping bottles for her and she's taken little sips of pedialyte here and there. So far, she's doing okay on hydration but it's kind of border line.<br><br>
This morning at about 1 am she spiked a fever of 104 and I took her in to the doctor after showering with her and it didn't go down at all. The doctor said there wasn't a lot they could do at the moment since she's not dehydrated. If she gets any worse today I need to bring her in, and if she hasn't made a drastic improvement by tomorrow, I have an appointment tomorrow morning. The doctor said to watch for dehydration signs and febrile seizures (yikes!) They'll check her white cells and do a urinalysis to check for a UTI.<br><br>
I like our doctor, the few times we've seen him, but I hate his staff. One of the nurses told me to stop breastfeeding her and just give her apple juice or Gatorade. When I mentioned it to the doctor, he was a little upset, and then afterwards I heard him yelling at her about. He's not one to prescribe anything unnecessarily. Please understand that we're just getting in to more natural remedies and healing. I'm still learning.<br><br>
I try to avoid things like Tylenol and antibiotics, but I personally believe they have their time and place. I've tried giving her Tylenol, but she throws up the minute the dropper touches her mouth. Cool compresses haven't helped the fever and she's pretty lethargic. I don't have much here at home to treat her naturally and I really can't get out today unless it's an absolute emergency.<br><br>
Can anyone suggest anything else to do for her? I hate seeing her so uncomfortable.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
nurse nurse nurse. That's how we got through rotavirus and how we get through most colds now. My ds likes ice and apples, so we stick ice cubes or cold pieces of apple into his "baby safe feeder" that he then hauls around (and flings water or applejuice everywhere). If you've got sodium ascorbate, try adding that to water - you can take it or you can give it to your dc. If you don't have sodium ascorbate, you should get some. Do a search on here on sodium ascorbate for more details.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jennifer. She seems to be doing quite a bit better today, and I'm definitely going to try to find some sodium ascorbate.<br><br>
She was able to nurse yesterday and keep it down from around noon on, and her fever went down to about 102. She slept a lot yesterday and this morning she's down to about 100 degrees and sleeping some more. I hope this is the end of it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts