Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had flu last week then was okay for about 3 days and now I have flu AGAIN! This sucks! DS has been sick both times too and missed days off school, I know it's that time of year to get lots of illnesses, but I seem to get them all.

Are there any secrets to surviving this winter season healthy? People keep saying I can't be looking after myself very well, but I don't know how they mean. So even any very basic tips I would appreciate!

(Both times last week and again now, before the flu really took hold and I just started feeling like it was starting, I started taking lots of echinacea tablets daily, but it doesn't seem to have stopped it....im cold shivering, have a fever, achey joints/bones, running nose, sneezing, sore throat, dry cough.)

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Eating a TF style diet seems to have hardened me against those things. It's basically a high fat, higher protein diet, with plenty of ferments: kefir, fermented vegetables, and I take cod liver oil as a supplement.

I still get sick, but it's waaay milder and we seem to recover faster.

There's a whole forum devoted to it on MDC.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Last winter I had a horrible cold that lasted a month and only went away with antibiotics and a z-pack. Last spring I started using a neti pot on occasion and that really seems to have helped this year. I have a daughter in pre-school so you know I'm getting exposed to every bug out there.

The only other thing that might be helping is that I'm much more careful about taking vitamins. I'm trying to conceive so I'm on pre-natals.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kangaroomum25 View Post
high vitamin cod liver oil and not the stuff sold in the store, high vitamin butter oil, ferments and kombucha works well for me.
:

We also eat lots of raw garlic, raw apple cider vinegar, bone broths and kefir.

So far, no one has been sick this winter despite dd being in preschool 3 times a week.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't know if this actually helps, but I change the pillowcases every time one of us is sick. If one of my girls, or if dh or I has any symptoms, I put a new pillowcase on every morning. We don't get very sick here, and when we do, it doesn't usually last for long. The thought of sleeping on a pillowcase that has been coughed on or sneezed on or snotted on, is kind of yucky, and it can't be that good for you. At least that's my opinion.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
And before I got distracted above, I think removing a couple food allergens (gluten and dairy for us--not easy at first, but it gets a lot easier with time) has helped ease the stress on us. You may see if you can get a blood test for D, it can get darn low without blatant symptoms (mine's likely low, and I live in Texas!).

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Whenever sickness is going around I take 3 astragalus a day and 1000 mg of vitamin C. Astragalus is another herb that is taken to boost the immune system like echinacea, but isn't as popular. It is safe to take while breastfeeding, and also has some milk boosting properties. It always seems to help me.

Before I was pregnant and bf I took hydrastis. It is in a liquid form you put in a little bit of water or drop it under your tongue. It tastes disgusting, but really helps kick a cold, especially sinus infections.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
lots of handwashing and washing of doorknobs, phone, etc. And changing pillow cases. Keep your head and neck bundled up. When I'm sick I wear a hat and hood inside. That advice comes from my acupuncturist. Also, soaking my feet in very hot water and then drying them and putting wool socks on right away. And changing tooth brushes to get rid of the old germy ones.

and when all else fails, I go to the pharmacy for Advil Cold & Sinus - the kind they keep behind the counter.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
More generic ideas:

Drink plenty of fluids, particularly water.
Exercise daily, a 20 minute walk is good (even when you feel crummy). Wear appropriate footwear and clothing for weather and terrain.
Get plenty of rest. This has been key for me this year! I've upped my sleep each winter, but this year I literally cleared my schedule in mid-autumn (through December) in order to deal with some recurring issues and treatments (at the advice of one practitioner). The result has been downright AMAZING for me! I typically (for 15 years! except the year I was pregnant) get one sinus infection/cold/flu/illness after another from September through February. So far, I have only had one and it was milder and shorter than usual. I AM SO GRATEFUL!!!
:

Which leads me to other ideas:
Start a gratitude journal or daily practice of listing your blessings (silently or out loud, oral or written).
Laugh every day.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
I second the astragalus. I took it during my pregnancy as well approved by my midwife.

I totally second the neti pot.
This has done more for me than any other thing. I used to get serious sinus infections, and nothing would help. I can't take sudafed type drugs cuz they dry me out to the point of getting nosebleeds.
But then I found neti.
Even if you do it only a few times a week, it is seriously cleansing out your sinus cavities which is a great preventative. Of course more frequent use is better.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Aside from frequent handwashing, try not to touch your face. If you need to rub an itch or something, use the back of your hand.

Drinking lots of water is good, but using a humidifier helps, too. Keeping mucous membranes moist helps as a barrier against germs.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kangaroomum25 View Post
high vitamin cod liver oil and not the stuff sold in the store, high vitamin butter oil, ferments and kombucha works well for me.
Not from the store, where do you get it from then?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, keep em coming, im desperate!

My mom thinks I get bugs easier because I never eat fruit, could this contribute?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Cod liver oil and vitamin C supplements, and plenty of rest.

I did get a cold last week, but it was shorter and milder than any I've had in years.

I'm also giving DS CLO to boost his immune system. He actually asks me to put it in his orange juice now!

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
I'll second the washing hands, not touching your eyes, nose, mouth with your hands during cold/flu season, washing doorknobs when an illness is going around...eat well, excercise, think happy thoughts...

I am a big fan of vitamen C, lots of fluids and chicken soup if you do get a bug.

Actually, vitamen C and lots of fluids even if you are healthy.

And of course, fruits and veggies. Always good for you.

Oh, and I know hard to do when you have little ones, but getting enough rest when possible.

·
Registered
263 Posts
We had the 24 flu starting on Sunday of this week. I got it Sunday and DH on Monday. I was craving chicken broth (NT style) and it was ready for DH on Monday. He was done being sick by the afternoon, after drinking the broth in the morning. It works. I'm going to have chicken broth on hand from now on and will give it at first sign of illness.

Here's the link to my original post of what we did.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1010322

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.