Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the main reasons that I decided to breastfeed DD (trust me, it wasnt a hard decision to make) was to give her immune system a boost. Well, she is 4.5 months and has been sick twice. First time was after we went camping over the 4th of July, she caught a pretty bad cold. And now after being exposed to a child who had a fever, she too has had a pretty bad fever (102.5 at its highest so far). I guess that I am wondering if there are others who have exclusively breastfed their babies and they still seem to get sick often. It just seems like twice in 4.5 months is a lot.

I had her vaxed at 2 months, but greatly regretted it afterwards, did some more research and havent had her vaxed since. Do you think her 2 months shots could be playing a roll in this? If she naturally has a lower immune system, would not vaxing her be worse? Or should I continue to not vax and let her immune system build up. Does anyone know of anything else that I can do to help her immune system get stronger?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Jsut posting to tell you I can relate.My oldest had no shots at birth and was EBF but he still got RSV at 5 weeks and then didn't get sick again until he was 18 months old.My middle child had the Hep B shot at birth is still BF and it seems if there is a cold or illness to catch he is first in line.
My youngest was born durinf flu season and at one point all of us had the flu but she never got it and has had one cold.She has never been jabbed and is EBF.
You do what you can by BFing getting rest and eating good foods but sometimes it can't be stopped.It just means your child will be less ill when he gets older since he will have already experienced that cooty.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
This is why i HATE the term "breast is best"

Breast isn't best, it's normal, and formula is worse.

So many moms thing they are doing something "special" by breastfeeding. They're not.
Breastfeeding is what is normal, and by doing so, your child willl be as healthy as they were born to be.
Humans naturally get sick.
Using an artificial substitute milk will make them SICKER than they otherwise would have been.
Breastfeeding isn't some magic pill that ensures your child never ever gets sick. It just allows them to be as healthy as they can be.

Not to make it sound like i am not acknowledging the effort and sacrifices that moms put into breastfeeding, but I think that the "breast is best" mentality is really detrimental.
As a mother, you are SUPPOSED to feed your child. It's basic, and not some super-extra-special thing.

Instread of giving Kudos to moms who do breastfeed, we need to make it an assumption, a given, the NORM, if you will.

Sorry, this is my little rant here.

I would say that sick 2 times in 4 months isn't a lot.

I would say that yes, having injected poisons into your child certainly didn't help, and might be playing a role. For more information on this, i suggest the vax forum...the people there are very well informed and can help you more with that.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Humans get sick, just the way it is. You can't build an immune system without it. Just keep nursing her, she will be fine. And a fever of 102 isn't high in the least bit, I wouldn't give her anything to bring the fever down because that is counterproductive (research about fevers if you haven't yet).

My oldest child was foruma fed and was fully vaxed, she rarely gets sick (she is 8 yrs old now). If she gets sick she is over it so quick it is no big deal. My youngest child has just weaned recently at 4 years old, she has had hardly any shots and was a LOT more sick then my oldest as a baby. I remember getting frusterated thinking "what the hell I thought breastfeeding was supposed to make them sick less!!!"---Who knows, now really neither one of them gets sick, I can't honestly think of the last time either of them were sick (my youngest is now 4). I don't give it much thought. They are both healthy and happy and their bodies will do what they need to to heal themselves. People who say "oh my child never gets sick" I'm like who cares? Getting sick isn't a bad thing, though it's no fun. Niether of my girls have ever really been to the Dr for anything--I think my youngest has been ONE time in her life.

Breastfed babies DO get sick--breastmilk isn't magical, heck I know plently of nonvaxed kids IRL who have asthma, allergies, and are sick all the time as well. I've mentioned before on here that the my neighbors grandson who is fully breastfed and and not vaxed. My god that is the sickest kid I have ever met. He was hospitilized for RSV last winter, has multiple ear infections, just is always sick with something, it astounds me honestly. But ya know, some kids just get sick a lot, I dont know the answers. I know plently of adults who have told me they were sick kids, just sick all the time, but as adults they hardly ever get sick!

I still believe breastmilk is better than formula and vaxing isn't good for ya
Kids have enough to fight off and deal with, vaxs and formula don't need to be in the way of that.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Also, you have to remember that if mom is not eating healthy and her immune system is not pumping out the necessary antibodies/antigens, then, yes, your baby will be more susceptible to getting sick.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ani got sick a lot while she was still breastfeeding. She was exclusively nursed until 11 1/2 months and then started on solids, but still mostly nursed and eventually weaned at almost 3 1/2. She had her 2 and 4 month vaccines. Of course she had a reaction to the 4 month ones and was sick a lot after that. Cameron was not vaccinated and never was sick until after he weaned (also at almost 3 1/2). May be the vaccines, may just be that Cameron's immune system is naturally stronger than Ani's.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies
Also, you have to remember that if mom is not eating healthy and her immune system is not pumping out the necessary antibodies/antigens, then, yes, your baby will be more susceptible to getting sick.
I have alway had a very strong immune system. Most illnesses pass me by. I try my best to eat as healthy as possible, but I can be more strict about vitamins (sometimes I forget)

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Twice in 4.5 months isn't "sick all the time" by any means! Your perception is a little off, IMO.
And 102.5 isn't a high fever, either. Relax, everything is fine.

ETA: It's normal to worry that something is wrong when you're a new mom and your baby gets sick, but you really have nothing to worry about. I think by the time my DD was 9 months old she'd had about 4 colds, pertussis and coxsackievirus, but I still consider her to be as "healthy as a horse". Nothing holds her down. She has her little illness, feels bad for about a day, then recovers with flying colors.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I think I saw somewhere that the more fevers a child has in the first 2 years of of life, the less likely they are to have allergys. Disease can be a good thing, it goes to the old saying "what doent kill you makes you stonger"!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobandjess99
This is why i HATE the term "breast is best"

Breast isn't best, it's normal, and formula is worse.

So many moms thing they are doing something "special" by breastfeeding. They're not.
Breastfeeding is what is normal, and by doing so, your child willl be as healthy as they were born to be.
Humans naturally get sick.
Using an artificial substitute milk will make them SICKER than they otherwise would have been.
Breastfeeding isn't some magic pill that ensures your child never ever gets sick. It just allows them to be as healthy as they can be.

Not to make it sound like i am not acknowledging the effort and sacrifices that moms put into breastfeeding, but I think that the "breast is best" mentality is really detrimental.
As a mother, you are SUPPOSED to feed your child. It's basic, and not some super-extra-special thing.

Thank you for having the guts to say that!!! I agree!!!

As to the origional poster. Yes, my second breastfed baby always got (and still does, he is always the first to bring home and spread among us) every bug he comes in contact with. And our youngest ebf baby just had her first fever / a cold at nine months old.

So don't worry about it. Overall you can spike your milk with immune boosters, which will help, and when your dc is older you can give medicinal herbs to help with quick recovery.

Also, my afore mentioned son gets dangerous fevers everytime, and I swear by the Tylenol fever reducers for those times. And believe me, that's saying something, because we have nothing else like that in our house. When you get up into the 103's and none of your crunchy stuff is working, you've got to bite the bullet.

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
One thing to think about: If your diet is deficient in certain nutrients, so will your breastmilk.

One can have a diet composed of healthy foods, but still be deficient in certain things. Chemical vitamins may not be utilized and the RDA is meaningless.

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nymphadora
Also, my afore mentioned son gets dangerous fevers everytime, and I swear by the Tylenol fever reducers for those times. And believe me, that's saying something, because we have nothing else like that in our house. When you get up into the 103's and none of your crunchy stuff is working, you've got to bite the bullet.
I could not disagree more.

Reading Dr. Mendelsohn's books shows that reducing fevers means the body is unable to use its most potent weapon to kill off virus/bacteria.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Another huge disagreement with that statement. You NEVER "have" to give fever reducers for normal fevers ('normal' meaning fevers not caused by poisoning). NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, to be very clear that I mean NEVER. Any fever related to infection will not get high enough to harm a child, and artificially reducing it can impair immune function, making the child remain sick for longer. There have even been studies to show that antipyretics won't prevent febrile seizures in children prone to them.

If *you* personally feel comfortable giving them, that's fine, but it's irresponsible and just plain wrong to suggest that they are ever necessary.

Edited because my quote was messed up.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneS
One thing to think about: If your diet is deficient in certain nutrients, so will your breastmilk.

One can have a diet composed of healthy foods, but still be deficient in certain things. Chemical vitamins may not be utilized and the RDA is meaningless.
: My body is like that. I can take prenatals and iron pills and still be anemic. If I eat foods that are high in iron, Vit C and Calcium, then I am all good.
Also, there are foods that will cause your body to use up necessary nutrients just to digest the food. For me, that means no bread, very little pasta, no white rice, and no candy.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yep, I agree that breastfeeding simply allows your child to be as healthy as they can be. Although moms nutrition does play a part. Really nutrition and environment is probably the biggest factor besides genetics in human health. I also believe that vaccines hamper the immune system and actually cause children to get sick more often.

That said, I have 3 kids. They were all breastfed, the first one only for a year the next two for 2.5 and 3.5 years.

My first son has always been pretty healthy. He occasionally had colds and fevers as a baby and child but recovered quickly and I never gave antibiotics and very rarely to never gave fever reducers.

My second child was sick all the time and not just twice in 4 months. He just always had a runny nose or ***** eyes (clogged tear ducts) and got sick with fever quite often. he was breastfed for 2.5 years and was never given vaccines or antibiotics or fever reducers. His sickliness lasted till he started 1st grade and then suddenly he was healthy as a horse and never gets sick. I think he's been sick maybe twice in the last 4 years.

My third child has had 1 fever in over 4 years. it actually worries me a little that she has been so darn healthy because I wonder if she will have as strong an immune system.

Looking at my second son I believe 100% that he's one of those kids that had he been given fever reducers and OTC meds and antibiotics all the time he would never have recovered from his initial sickly nature. I also believe he's one of those kids that would have had a severe reaction to vaccines most especially an autism disorder as I believe he is mildly on the spectrum somewhere.

I think breastfeeding and letting his immune system function without interference and poisons allowed his body to recover fully and really build up a powerful immune system.

Laura

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Quote:

:

Fever are dangerous? Since when? You clearly don't understand what a fever is.

Please explain why you would need to "bite the bullet" and reduce a fever?

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Nymphadora, I just noticed that you are brand-spanking new to MDC.

Please don't take my above post the wrong way. I think you should spend a little time researching fevers and antipyretics (fever reducers). There has been a great deal of research done on the benefit of fevers and the harm caused by artificially reducing fevers. The latest one I read showed that adults with the flu who are treated with antipyretics take about 3 days longer to recover than those who do not use them. The WHO has a whole document on the benefit of fevers and why parents shouldn't fear fevers, how doctors need to be educated on the benefits of fevers and about the problems that can be caused by using antipyretics when they aren't really necessary. There is also a great deal of information out there about what actually constitutes a "dangerously high" fever, which 103 is NOT. A fever isn't dangerous until it's over 106. The only time a fever will get high enough to be dangerous is in the case of heat stroke or poisoning. A sick child's fever will NEVER get that high.

Anywho, I think that's enough information to get you started. Happy Googling.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Quote:

Please follow the links and read the medical articles, and then perhaps you might wish to clarify why it is you thought that.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=252338

·
Registered
19,181 Posts
Just a thought about why some children might get sick more often than others.

When we are born we get a body built up for us out of pre-supplied materials with a tiny dab from dad and a lot from mom. However, we need to customize this body for our own lifelong use. Some of that nice hereditary material may not be right for our purposes, there may be strengths and weaknesses that don't quite fit the areas where we will need to be strong or challenged.

Try thinking of childhood illnesses as a method for knocking a body around a bit to reshape it for long-term use by a particular individual

Fevers heat things up so reshaping is possible, sort of like softening beeswax so you can mold it. This may be why some children have developmental jumps after being sick with a good, solid, 24 hours plus fever.

And our current cultural push to avoid all illness and suppress fevers make it very hard for children to customize their bodies--with a not surprising result of children with behavior problems, children with chronic illness, children who end up with really severe disease conditions (cancer) and so forth.

See Dr. Philip Incao for more along these lines.

Deborah

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you guys so much! I do understand fully that breastfeeding doesnt automatically mean that dd will never be sick, and that these illnesses now will probably mean a better immune system. I guess I just wasn't expecting twice in 4 months, it still seems like a lot to me. And of course, being a new mom, 103 feels like a pretty high fever, especially considering that her normal temp is usually in the low 98's. (dh's is the same way.. may have something to do with their J-Baltimore Hemoglobin, but Im not entirely sure) I appreciate all of the advice on Tylenol as well. I will definitely remember that for next time!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts