Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the main reasons that I decided to breastfeed DD (trust me, it wasnt a hard decision to make) was to give her immune system a boost. Well, she is 4.5 months and has been sick twice. First time was after we went camping over the 4th of July, she caught a pretty bad cold. And now after being exposed to a child who had a fever, she too has had a pretty bad fever (102.5 at its highest so far). I guess that I am wondering if there are others who have exclusively breastfed their babies and they still seem to get sick often. It just seems like twice in 4.5 months is a lot.

I had her vaxed at 2 months, but greatly regretted it afterwards, did some more research and havent had her vaxed since. Do you think her 2 months shots could be playing a roll in this? If she naturally has a lower immune system, would not vaxing her be worse? Or should I continue to not vax and let her immune system build up. Does anyone know of anything else that I can do to help her immune system get stronger?

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Hi mama! IMHO I think it's likely the vax had something to do with it. If your DD's immune system isn't at it's best vaxing tends to further compromise things. Vitamin C is excellent for the immune system. You may want to x-post this in the vax forum as well as do some searches there. Lots of smart and sassy ladies there and a ton of helpful links and threads. I hope your DD feels better!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I think it's very likely that the vaccinations had something to do with it. No way no how I'd give more if it was up to me.

-Angela

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
My ds2 was exclusively breastfed (still nursing at almost 2) and got sick a few times when he was very young. He is completely unvaxed. He even had scarlet fever. I know that breastfeeding does confer immunities but we shouldn't take this to mean our breastfed babies will never get sick. I do believe that ds recovers quicker because of breastfeeding though.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I'd say it was the vax. Which ones did you do?

FWIW, Winnie is nearly 4 months' old and EBF and no sickness yet. But she hasn't had any vax either.

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
We got DS vaxed when he was 6 months. It was his first and only round. He was sick about 4 times before that. He was sick after that too. I'm sure vaxing can play a role, but in our case, I don't think it did. My DS just caught everything going around as a baby. But now that he's a toddler, he is sooooo healthy. He can be around people with colds and all he'll get is a 24 hour fever (to fight it off I guess). No coughing or phlem. It just never turns into anything serious. The 24 hour fevers are a pain in the butt, believe me, because he's miserable, but that's the sickest he gets. So just because your DD gets sick now, doesn't mean she will always get sick easily. I used to cry to my mom, "There's something wrong with my milk, he's sick *again*!" And she'd assure me that he's MUCH better off on bm than he would be on formula, no matter how many times he got sick.

So just hang in there. Yes, bf'ing passes anti-bodies, can prevent some things, and can keep some illnesses from becoming severe, but that doesn't mean it works perfectly all the time. It stinks to be telling everyone of this magical substance
and then be the one with the sick baby, but she'll be healthier the rest of her life for it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
You know what? Breastfed babies get sick, too.
: I notice a bit of a tendency on the part of non-vaccinating mothers to blame anything that happens to vaxed children, whether sickness or some other idiosyncrasy, on vaccination. In a way I understand their point of view, because I have a tendency to blame anything that happens to formula-fed children on the formula! I think the truth is that babies differ, in their health, in their environments, in the random chance of what they may encounter.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
My twins were ebf till about 6 months, and still nurse at 2.5 yo. Yet, they've been sick alot too. (Although it got a lot better after about 18 months for some reason - maybe that's when they stopped putting everything in their mouths.)

Bf babies still get sick. I always tell myself it would have been worse if I had chosen formula.

The good news is, they've gotten over some pretty serious stuff on their own without the aid of antibiotics. In fact, one time my doc seriously didn't believe that my son had gotten better when he called back with test results for a staph infection. And when rotovirus was going around here like wildfire, a lot of our friends' toddlers were ending up in the hospital on IV fluids, but mine were still nursing and made it through okay.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by royaloakmi
Bf babies still get sick. I always tell myself it would have been worse if I had chosen formula.
absolutely! my ds was sick all winter - including a three day hospital stay - and was exclusively bf! breastfeeding is not a 100% guaranteed preventative.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Babies are individuals and some folks just get sick more often than others! Also it sounds like your babe got sick after being exposed to people/places where you didn't have a chance to build up an immunity to pass along.

For example, if your partner or older child was sick then you'd be exposed to those germs and build up an immune response. Your nursing babe would get the benefit of that immune response and have a better chance of remaining healthy or of getting a less severe infection. Similarly you already provide your little one with immune support for the germs you encounter in your normal day to day environment. While traveling though your babe is exposed to "new" germs and while your breastmilk provides general support, it's not tailored to the new environment and they are more at risk of getting sick.

Breastmilk is an amazing substance, and breastfeeding does wonders for a babe's immune system and immune development, but it's not a cure all.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Yes, breastfed babies can still get sick. But in my experience, my dd has only gotten sick 1 time and it was right after vaccinations(which we don't do anymore) Basically w/ in 2 days she had a terrible cold and ear infection??

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrklynMama
: I notice a bit of a tendency on the part of non-vaccinating mothers to blame anything that happens to vaxed children, whether sickness or some other idiosyncrasy, on vaccination. In a way I understand their point of view, because I have a tendency to blame anything that happens to formula-fed children on the formula! I think the truth is that babies differ, in their health, in their environments, in the random chance of what they may encounter.

I think the vax-illness theory is bunk, myself. My son got one vax (2 mos) and has been sick three times now, once BEFORE his vax, at around 1 month; his sister was fully vaxed and never sick with even a cold until age 1. The difference - he has that older sister who brings home Da Germs. I'm not as cautious as I probably was with her, either - regarding handwashing and the like. If you are really worried about it, try to make a good effort regarding regular handwashing ... although around 6 months they're crawling into everything and licking and eating everything anyhow.

I do think bfing makes illnesses not as bad. I know someone whose baby went to the hospital for a five-day stay from a common cold caught from an older sib, and perhaps it was due to formula feeding (baby was adopted). But maybe not. I wouldn't beat myself up about it.

Right now I'm sick, and my son has a much, much milder version of my cold. So I'm a believer.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
Right now I'm sick, and my son has a much, much milder version of my cold. So I'm a believer.
This it what happened with us- we had the worst cold season ever this last winter (probably exacerbated by new-parent lack of sleep!
). My husband and I were sick over and over again- for about three months, one or the other of us was constantly either coming down with something, sick, or getting over something.

Ari? She got sick only two or three times during that stretch. Even when she was sick she got over it quickly (usually in less than a day) with no dr. visits and was never as sick as I was. Pretty awesome, I thought.

Julia

·
Registered
42 Posts
My daughter has been six several times, especially now that she is mobile and we go to playgroups. She hasn't had any vaxcines or formula. I think all babies are different and some just get sick more than others.
However I am not about to get her shots or formula, lol.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My son got sick a week after his first shot (we're spacing them out, doing vacs one at a time) and we're certain that the vax had something to do with lowering his immune system's response abilities. I don't know that it directly "caused" anything, but I believe that if he hadn't recently been vaxed, he would maybe have had a better chance of fighting off the cold he had.

By breastfeeding, you're doing the best thing you can for your baby, continue to do so!!

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
my dd has had all vaxes except hep B (don't jump on me; no more). she's only been mildly ill twice.
no one ever said breastfed kids never get sick. just that in general, studies show breastfed children compared to formula fed children have fewer ear infections, respiratory infections, diarrhea, pnuemonias, childhood cancers, etc. And that when a breastfed child IS sick, they tend to be less severely ill, and have a faster recovery. This is a statistical representation, and it is factual. It does not exclude the possibility that any given child can fall outside that norm. It's really not that difficult to understand- just like people who smoke are more likely to get lung cancer, but we all know a story about someone's great Uncle Earnest who smoked 3 packs a day and lived to be 93. It's an *overall* generality.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Don't blame it on anything, including your mothering choices.
Kids get sick.

My twins were exclusively breastfed and had no vax....In their first six months, they got several little colds and viruses. Fevers, too. They're not sickly kids or anything, they just got some stuff that they were exposed to (no, they weren't in daycare). Humans get bugs and viruses. It's normal.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nighten
I'd say it was the vax. Which ones did you do?

FWIW, Winnie is nearly 4 months' old and EBF and no sickness yet. But she hasn't had any vax either.
Oh, all of the 2 month shots. I knew I shouldnt have, but I crumbled under the pressure, and then cried for 3 days straight about it, so NO MORE! I stood firm at her 4 month and her ped wasnt thrilled with my decision, but he respects it.

At any rate, thanks a lot for all of your responses. I know that breastfeeding isnt a gaurantee that she will never get sick, it just seems like twice already is a lot. And like a pp said, I just keep telling myself that it would be much worse if she was ff. (she is doing much better today, btw)

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
It looks like you got good input here and in the vax forum, I'm so glad! Hooray for your DD feeling better
:, I was wondering.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrklynMama
:

I think that getting sick had a lot more to do with hanging around another kid who had a fever than with getting vaccinated.

Also someone else mentioned that most of the studies on breastfeeding and illness are just that - illness. An ear infection or pnemonia is very different from a runny nose and a mild fever. My daughter has had a couple colds but never an ear infection or anything like that. For that I thank breastfeeding because both my husband and I had tons when we were babies so I feel like my daughter is genetically predisposed to them - thank goodness for the boobies.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts