Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my baby a week ago. He has congestion and some coughing. No temp at this point. Any herbal recommendations? I was going to give him some vitamin C (liquid form for babies) and echinacea and use the humidifier. Any other advice? It's no fun to have your one week old sick.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
At his age I would just nurse nurse nurse. If he is congested just squirt some breastmilk up his nose. If his eyes get crusty just squirt some breastmilk right in them 3 times a day.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that your 1 week old is sick. Personally, I would take him to your ped just to make sure its not anything serious.

I know whenever my dd got sick, I bf a lot. And I can't recall if I did this when she was a newborn, but I know when she was an infant, I would take warm showers with a little eucalyptus oil rubbed on the shower walls and just hold her on me. Or I'd let the hot water run in the shower and sit in the bathroom to let the steam work its magic. The steam and the EO would helped open her up. However, I dont' know how safe that is for a newborn. maybe you can do a search on that.

Also, I hear homeopathic remedies are great for use on babies. I couldn't tell you what to use though or how to use it. Maybe you could research that.

Good luck and hang in there.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I would nurse as much as possible, too. I personally wouldnt give anything to a one week old without being seen by a health care provider - that is really really little to have a cold, and they can get sick quickly.

Hope he is better soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.