Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I don't know why I'm posting except that I'm just exhausted and could use a little encouragement...and there's always the possibility that you awesome folks will give me a bright idea or two.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My 14mo ds has had a fever since the night before last, and I've basically been holding him or wearing him since yesterday morning.  He didn't sleep well last night, and only let me lie down a couple times.  I dozed in the arm chair holding him this morning while dd (3y9m) watched Dora.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, night before last the fever was low; didn't break 100F, but then after nap yesterday it was over 102F, and spiked to 102.9F several times overnight and today.  Could be teething because his molars are finally breaking through (although he never had a fever with teething before).  He's also had a runny nose and a little post nasal gagging and coughing all week.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The nurse I talked to at the hospital doesn't think it's related, but last Monday and Tuesday he was vomiting, and he hasn't gone back to his normal diet since...so in my mind, he hasn't recovered from that yet.  He's nursing a lot, drinking a little water, and will eat applesauce, yogurt, and oatmeal if I feed him, but the only thing I've gotten him to self-feed in the last week is pears.  Last night he at least sat in his high chair and played with his food, and maybe ate some rice and broccoli.  That's the first time my usually happy-at-mealtime guy has sat in the highchair in a week.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was in tears this morning and could barely keep my eyes open, literally.  I really need some sleep!  Can't wait until dh gets home and I can take a bath.  I've done some acetaminophen, but it makes him gag and he usually spits it out.  I got a dose in him mixed in applesauce last night, but it didn't seem to help much.  Dh is bringing some ibuprofen home tonight, so maybe that will go better.  We just need some good rest (I say as he snores on my back in the Ergo!).</p>

·
Registered
199 Posts
<p>Hey mama - it gets hard sometimes and I am emailing you because we just went through weeks of sleep deprivation due to colds, coughs and such. All I can say is that you have the strength and energy to get through this! Trust that you will. And, in a few days, all will be well again and you can catch up on sleep. I hope that your little one gets better soon.</p>

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
<p>So weird, I could have written your post, my DS was vomitting last Monday/Tuesday and then seemed not quite himself all week (too calm & content lol!) and then the last 3 days he's been super stuffy & started vomitting again (but only because he keeps nursing too much and the mucous is gagging him & making him cough a lot which makes him throw up). I was up all night long last night because he was puking every few minutes in his sleep. I'm so exhausted too, I've only left the house once (for church Sunday morning) in the last 4 days, I'm going stir crazy and I'm very much ready for DS to feel better again!!!! I hope you get a break this evening. I'm thinking of running an errand or two after dinner just to catch a few minutes to myself but I'm so tired from the sleep deprivation!! HUGS!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>ETA: Are you using a humidifier? I definitely am going to remember to use one tonight & hope that helps him sleep a little better.</p>

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>Thanks for the replies.  Yes, we use a humidifier, but when he got sick it was sitting on the kitchen counter waiting for me to clean it...so I finally got it plugged in last night.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The poor little bub STILL has a fever!  I took him to the dr today to check his ears and lungs, and everything's fine, so we're just waiting it out.  He is starting to feel better and sleep better, and the fever's a little lower.  I'm crossing my fingers that tomorrow is the day for him to get a little more back to normal!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am so grateful for breastfeeding, but I can't wait for him to start eating food again!  I am so hungry and thirsty all the time after 11 days of him eating almost no food.  I am so much calmer now that I got a little more sleep.  2-3 hours the first night, 5-6 hours the second night, 7 hours last night...definitely making progress.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks so much for your commiseration!  Crunchy_mommy, I hope your lo is better now!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts