Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI!

Wondering if anyone could help/give suggestions for this situation. Our lab is 3yrs old. We've been feeding her raw (all organic - I think she eats better than I do sometimes ha!) food for a year because we found out she has TONS of food allergies and is VERY sensitive to everything, including bowls, floor cleaners, etc.

Anyway, she had to be on dry for a couple months because I was sick, and then we were away (hubby can't handle feeding her raw meat!). After we came back she had a double ear infection, red spots all over her skin, raw paws, bad odour and was shedding. That was over three weeks ago. I've been giving her homeopathic remedies, bach flower rescue remedy, I even put her on a five day fast. She lost weight, but the hair is still coming out, she still smells bad and now her skin is RAW!! I mean she has these sores all over her body and she's scratching them to the point that they are bleeding. Her ears are cleared up, but everything else is the same. Also, I've noticed that the hair on her elbows is leaving a bald patch, and the skin is kind of thick and bumpy underneath.

I've tried aloe vera, tea tree, calendula, and nothing seems to help. I don't know what to do. Up until she was back on the dry she had been perfectly healthy, hadn't been to the vet in a year.

I've made an appt. for MOnday to get a diagnosis, because I can't find out what she has. She's on Revolution so I don't think she has parasites or fleas, but I just don't know. It's terrible to see her so sick, I just want to help her.

She's back on her regular raw food and supp's now, and I just keep putting cream on her and try to monitor her to stop her from scratching, but she's never had anything like this and I don't know how to help. I don't want to get some medicated creams from the vet because I'm worried her immune system is too weak, but I don't understand how she could get so bad so fast after being so healthy. The dry food we put her on was the best/healthiest we could find.

Anyway, I'm ranting, just wondered if anyone has any suggestions or insights as to what's going on with my poor girl!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I do think a visit to the vet is in order. If they say nothing's wrong, I would stop ALL exposure to remedies, oils, supplements, etc. Fast her for two days, then give her ONE animal meat. No veggies, no oils, no extra anything. ONE meat--chicken, beef, tripe, whatever. Keep her on that extremely boring diet for 2 weeks. Resist the temptation to mess with her skin, treat her for anything, etc. Just let her body detox itself. If that one meat doesn't work, fast for 2 days and then switch to a different single meat. When you see a marked improvement, you can begin to add other stuff in, but I would add only one thing at a time and give her at least a week to react to it. Take out anything that brings the symptoms back.

Yes, animals can get very sick in just a short time. If there is no illness (and that I can't diagnose, so your vet is important), it sounds to me like her body is in chaos and full reactive mode. You need to give it a chance to completely settle down.

Also, I hate Revolution. I would absolutely not administer it again, especially to a dog this sensitive. Don't do anything unless you actually see a flea, and then treat with Frontline. Don't treat with ANYTHING for at least a couple of months and until you see her retain her health again.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
I agree with Joanna, Revolution has been known to cause just this sort of skin outbreak. We don't have Frontline here but I use advantage and find it's significantly safer than Rev. The only thing I'm on board with Revolution for is Scabies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts