Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so worried! Both of my kids are sick. I decided to use saline on both of them. I did not even think of looking at expiration date. Well after I sprayed both of them, I happened to see the date - over a year ago! It also smelled of plastic. I sprayed it in the glass cup and the liquid was clear. But there were some particles in it. I am so worried I sprayed harmful bacteria on my kids noses:(<br>
I called the doc, but she did not seem worried. I went out and bought new saline and sprayed them both about after an hour of the episode.<br>
What do you think? Did I hurt my kids? Are they going to get an infection? I am freaked out over things like meningitis! Please advise if you know anything about it.<br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
<p>I think it would be fine, it's just salt water.. And your doc isn't worried either.. Don't sweat it, they'll be fine! :)</p>

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
<p>They should probably be fine. I wouldn't sweat it. I would get a separate saline dispenser for each family member, though, if you haven't. If you do that and rinse the dispenser each time, the odds of it getting contaminated are practically nil.</p>

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, guys! I am always so paranoid! I just can't stand thinking I could have caused harm to my girls! I read all these scary things online. I will try to relax...<br>

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
<p>I am with the others.  I bet they are just fine.  It is a good idea to have a bottle for each family member.</p>

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hmmmm. I could have written this post!! Last week I accidentally used an old bottle of saline for my kid's and my own nose. It was previously opened and expired and just got mixed into our other "cold stuff" in a move...<br><br>
We are still alive, about a week out. My impression is that bacterial or fungal meningitis would have a pretty quick onset, so the fact that we're still alive is probably a good sign for you as well! Our stuff also was plasticy.<br><br>
But the worst that could have happened is that the water evaporated and the saline became more concentrated, which is a good thing in terms of bacterial growth.<br><br>
Let me know how you guys do, but I think we're probably out of the woods.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts