Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is not dx'd SID yet but they are going to do a SID evaluation on her. Her OT thinks it is sensory issues causing dd not to walk. My son has high functioning autism and of course the sensory issues to go with it and I definitly have some sensory issues so it is genetic. She is very advanced in other areas, she is 19.5 months and tests for some abilities 26-37 months so there is no apparent reason for her not to walk, she doesn't seem to have any muscle/joint/bone problems and her gross motor skills with her hands are very ahead so that usually rules out neurological. She has otherwise developed normal on time or ahead of time.<br><br>
The OT believes because E hates anything on her feet (socks, shoes, a crumb from the floor) that she won't walk because of the pressure on her feet. She will cruise but she still holds onto the furniture to keep some weight off her feet so it does make sense. She has a few other minor sensory issues and she chews clothing or a blanket all the time so the OT said that is another mild sign.<br><br>
Did anyone else's kid walk later because of a sensory issue?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
My SID kid walked at 12 months, but it's definately possible that the SID is keeping your little one from walking. With Bran, it caused him to regress and lose all of his speech, and also caused him to have low muscle tone in his hands. So, walking can be affected if she has issues with feet...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts