Mothering Forum banner

SID support thread

11K views 240 replies 42 participants last post by  IfMamaAintHappy 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdmama
My 5 year old son has definate sensory integration issues and possibly Asperger's Syndrome. We were receiving therapy through our school district's early childhood program, but I have elected not to send my son to kindergarten this year, so I'm looking into private OT. My son will be seen by TEACCH for the first time tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up about this thread Julie. I didn't realize your younger daughter is going in for a feeding eval - are you seeing Jodi Petry at Duke?
Jodi is my son's OT! Love love love her.
Love, love, love TEACCH as well. Lmk how that goes.

Linda,

Try reading the Raising A Sensory Smart Child book. I too had my ds diagnosed young and found that the Out of Sync books were very hard for me to relate to because ds was so young.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
Oh one thing... the OT therapist wants me to buy a weighted blanket... who makes the best/softest ones?

It would need to be a VERY soft fabric... the websites I just browsed have alot of "typical" fabric you can buy at Walmart.
We got my ds's weighted blanket from salt of the earth. There's also a lady who makes them and sells on ebay, dreamcatcher blankets. Both website links:

www.saltoftheearthweightedgear.com
http://www.weightedblanket.net/

I have never purchased from dreamcatcher, only salt of the earth. I am very satisfied with our salt of the earth blanket and it is of excellent quality. Other parents I know used s.o.t.e. as well. But dreamcatcher seems to have great feedback on ebay, so you might try them if they have fabric that seems more to your liking.

My ds's blanket is sueded cotton top with regular cotton backing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.