Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sisters suffers from a skin condition which creates white splotchy spots all over her body and she has been told that diflucan will "cure" this condition although the "cure" only lasts for about 3 months... anyways I was wondering if anyone had any info on diflucan and potential long term and or short term side effects.... I am concerned for her to be taking this drug and not really knowing its potential harm... of course the Dr. says it is perfectly safe etc... She is 29 and has not children yet but would like them in the future.... any one with any thoughts or comments on diflucan I can pass on to her? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Hmm, I know Diflucan is prescribed for yeast/thrush problems; I was on it for four weeks twice a day for yeast in my breasts and had no side effects that I recognized. I know there is a concern in younger babies because of the potential for side effects which is why it isn't the first treatment of choice for thrush, but I don't know about adults.

You might want to post on the breastfeeding: getting started forum and do a search there; I'll bet a lot of other mamas there have taken Diflucan for yeast.

Also try a google search on your sister's condition as well as "diflucan side effects." You may find some alternative treatments for what she's got.

HTH!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The skin condition my sister has is tinea versicolor... anyone treat this successfully? She is desperate to cure it and has tried lots but is willing to do anything.... I would like to find a more natural remedy and steer her away from the diflucan so anyone with any help? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
This is off the top of my head, but when I was looking into Diflucan for candida, I read that there is a 1/100 chance of mild liver damage and 1/1000 of severe liver damage. I believe that was the risk with taking the regular dosage for a vaginal yeast infection, but I'm not sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts