Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We co-sleep and I have always just let DS (5 mo) lie down to nurse. So if I'm putting him to sleep in our bed, I'll lie him down, usually flip him so that he's tummy to tummy and facing me, pop in a nipple and then nurse him to sleep. When he wakes up (usually 2-4x's/night) I roll over and pop in a nipple again till he falls back asleep. No burping, no elevating his head, no picking him up. During the night he sometimes nurses with his head turned to the side lying on his back
: but this doesn't seem to bother him at all.

My husband has been getting his own set of advice as he's the bottle feeder of the family, and people have been telling him that its important to feed DS in a somewhat upright position to keep milk from entering his eustacian tubes/causing ear infections. He eyeballs me now thinking that I might be doing something wrong with the night nursing. Do you all pick your babies up or prop them on your arm, or do you do something similar to what I've described above.

DS is having no trouble gaining weight or sleeping, but I am concerned that after a little while of sleeping on one side of me his head will tilt a bit. I think his neck muscles get tight after continually burrowing to one side to find the nipple. He's also a bit gassy, but it seems that he just wakes right back up if I pick him up to burp him. I tried to nurse to sleep in my arms the other night and then lay him down but he eventually woke and I went back to the side lying position.

Is this lazy of me or just a practical way to co-sleep and nurse at night?

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
You have NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING to worry about

Seriously, the baby is already lying down however you nurse!Do you always nurse your baby sitting up???!!My toddler did this, when she was older-but not a baby.We do the same as you, with no problems or infections ever.

If you ask me, I would gently tell your dh to check if these sources of information are reputable or not.If he doesn't beleive, have him google some breastfeeding sites-one of the best I know of being kellymom.com
If he reads the right info, he'll change his mind.
You sound like you are doing a great job mama!Do what works for you and babe.
And also-breastmilk has b een known to cure various infections,I doubt it would start one

My toddler loved nursing lying down.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
I do the exact same thing you do with your DS, always have. He's never had an ear infection or any other problems from it (he's 26 months now!!!). Ear infections are something you need to worry about a lot more with bottle feeding, I don't think the advice he was given is relevent to BF'ing, at least I've never heard of it being a problem.

Kitty

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I do exactly what you do and have never had a problem, DS has never had a problem, and I have never heard that it was "wrong". In fact until Ds was 3 months old I used to sit up and nurse him and finally some experienced, trusted mamas told me to save myself the trouble and stay lying down. Once I got brave enough to try it we have never gone back!

My DS also sometime stays on his back and turns his head if he is unmotivated to roll. Never been an issue. We don't ever use a bottle so I don't know about the bottle feeding advice you mentioned, but I think if you and you child are healthy and happy, don't sweat it!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Me too, me too. No problems after 10 months. Sometimes, when I think he is really favoring one side, I take him to the chiropractor for an adjustment just in case but she says he is doing fine. They are just so much more flexible then we are.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
You're doing just fine! The mechanics of breastfeeding and bottlefeeding are totally different (ie where the milk is deposited and how) and the breastmilk and formula are totally different!

apples and oranges.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.