Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hubby sidecar-ed our crib to the bed, made sure it was super secure with a few tethers, that puppy isn't going anywhere.

There is a slight gap between the back of the crib/mattress when the mattress is flush with the bed, so I ordered some high density foam to fill the gap.

However, one night I woke up in a bit of a panic because I noticed that if I am close to the edge of the bed it creates a gap between the edge of the bed and the edge of baby boy's mattress.

Was thinking of stuffing some foam in there, too. Will that be sufficient? It's like 1" gap, give or take depending on how close I am to the edge of the bed. I just want him to be safe! Thoughts?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Are the mattress even or is one higher than the other? Honestly, I wouldn't worry about 1 inch. He won't be able to get anything important stuck in there, right? If the foam gives you peace of mind, though, go for it!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, everything is level, I was so ecstatic that the mattresses were perfectly even. Well, I think the fact that it can sometimes be larger than an inch if I'm super close to the edge of the bed (which happens kinda a lot, lol) that I was thinking foam. I'll have enough. I'm glad it's not super concerning though..,! Thanks for your thoughts :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm not planning on even securing our cosleeper, at least at first. It has a pretty good edge, though, that would keep a newborn from going anywhere. As far as I can tell, that gap is just inevitable since mattresses are squishy, and it has never seemed to make to make a difference last time. I'm pretty careful about cosleeping rules so that would have bothered me before trying it, too.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
We added a single bed between our bed and the wall for our toddler to sleep on that's just the same height and DH will be on the edge of our bed next to her all night, and me and baby will have most of the king bed! When he or she starts rolling I'll have to move DH to the outer edge and me be in the middle of two kids, but by then baby will be big enough to occasionally be next to sibling without risk (I have to take turns being on either side of baby during the night to nurse from both breasts, so in that scenario baby will sometimes be between parents & sometimes between me and sibling, throughout the night).

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
What if you make the crib mattress a tiny bit higher and stuff more foam in against the rails? I have my crib like that, and it's never been a problem, but maybe my mattress is more firm?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts