Mothering Forum banner

SIDS & Smoking - Where did I read this?

615 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  BurnsideMommy 
#1 ·
Recently I read that there is an increase of SIDS even when the mother isn't the smoker. It said something about the baby inhaling or absorbing the chemicals off of other caregivers and said that infants should not be around anybody that smokes. I posted something about this elsewhere and a Mom is asking for more info but I can't remember where I read it - I don't sleep much these days :2tandem and my Mommy brain isn't what it used to be. Has anybody else read this?

TIA,
Keri

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnsideMommy
Can't answer your question, but...

OT - but do you also post on the Martha Stewart Baby board? Your username looks farmiliar.

Rissa
Yes! I've been there forever! You're a homebirthing, APing Mama? You need to post there more often! I am often times the lone weirdo
I had my last two at home. When I was planning hb #1 I actually took some heat over there but they've gotten used to my kooky ways

I actually posted this info over there and one of the gals was asking about it. I'm afraid that I read it at the gym while doing my cardio and won't be able to help her.

Keri

#6 ·
The cosleeping issue of mothering made mention of this in the article about cosleeping and smoking among the Maori's of New Zealand.

But yes, even if the mother doesn't smoke, and EVEN IF THE SMOKERS DO NOT SMOKE INSIDE THE HOUSE, the risk of SIDS is increased. This is because they bring the particles in with them in their hair and clothing.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerikadi
I am often times the lone weirdo

Hey!!! What about me? I didn't homebirth, but I take heat over there too! Give me some credit...I'm a weirdo too (and proud of it)!!! :LOL

#12 ·
Keri - Ya I've been over on the MSL boards since I first got engaged (on the wedding boards), and then when I got pregnant I moved to the Baby boards. I've posted on and off since that, but not very much cause I never felt like I fit in there, but liked some of the ideas people there had.

I figured if I posted my opions on stuff there I'd get flamed. LOL. I guess now that I know there's 2 other homebirthing AP mama's there I feel a bit safer. I did post the other day asking for better instructions on that playhouse thats in the new Kids magazine but got no replies.

Also - we love the soft star shoes! They have them at the co-op here in town. My DH is convinced he needs to get ahold of the people that make them and request some for him in his size! LOL. He's been jealouse of Austin's since he got his first pair of Robeez.

Hope you find the info you're looking for on this SIDS and smoking thing. No one here smokes, but my sister, mom and sisters fiance all smoke, and my sister has a 7 month old who has serious health issues (going on the 15th for open heart surgery!). I'd love to give them more reasons to stop smoking! But don't get me started on them and their issues....

Rissa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.