Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired.

And spoiled from my Kissaluvs 0s. Scotty outgrew them. Now I'm using prefolds.

Help...I need inspiration. Tell me how great they can be!

I'd like to go coverless for the summer but just can't get the Snappi to work right. *sigh*

·
Registered
551 Posts
oh they are wonderful! I think there the cutest diapers on baby, they look adorable. There are soo many different folds and I think they are pretty trim myself. nothing like a big clean stack of fresh prefolds to diaper baby with.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
They are the ultimate in everything. They hold in tons of pee and poop, so easy to clean and dry (usually no problems with stink), no elastic or aplix to wear out or give your little baby red marks, cheap and classic looking. Start trying to pin, that works so great and holds that diaper on.

You will be really inspired if you get some super nice luxury PFs. Like www.tinybirdsorganics.com colorgrown PFs, or Thirsties super soft cheap PFs. Or have someone make you some sherpa/velour PFs. They will be stretchy and fit for a longer time plus are super super trim.

I have tried EVERYTHING (fitted, pockets, AIOs, flats) and I am back to PFs almost 100%. I hated them for the months my ds was too squirmy, but now I love them to death. Esp. with wool. No wonder they are still around.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
stretch the snappi out a few times (hold the two sides and pull) and then try... once you get the hang of it --it is really easy! Hook on one side, then hook the other side and then pull down in the middle. Keep practicing--even my dh can do it now!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Prefolds are my favorite! They always fit, they're dependable, comfy, so versatile, and easy, easy to wash and dry. I love how soft and fresh they feel when I take them out of the dryer, and I also love a nice neat stack of them. It's fun to play around with different folds and have options to suit your mood or need. There's only one way to snap on a fitted or aio, but there are SO many things you can do with prefolds that I never get bored with them. I personally greatly prefer pins over snappis. I still use a snappi sometimes though depending on my mood.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I LOVE my prefolds!!!!

I even tie dyed them! Check it out - I have the pics on my website - click in my siggy for the link.

I don't bother putting covers on the boys while at home, and I got in the habit of not putting a cover on the nursling, but I DO put a cover at least on the toddler - my dh doesn't like it if he's half dressed. . .

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
How much did you have to rise them before they were colorfast? I love the idea of dying my pfs but hate the idea of endless rinsing...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wawoof
How much did you have to rise them before they were colorfast? I love the idea of dying my pfs but hate the idea of endless rinsing...

Here's what I did:

tied up the diapers (clean, dry)
soaked in soda ash for somewhere between 20 minutes and 2 hours (I DO have two young children, lol)
added water to my fiber reactive dye
Wrung out the soaked diapers
Laid out a big piece of plastic on the grass on the front yard and squirted each diaper with a fun array of colors til they were all very saturated.
Wrapped each tie dye bundle in a saran wrap 'coccoon'.
Left the bundles in a shady spot on my front porch for about 12-18 hours (to give the dye time to saturate deeply)

Then, I unwrapped each diaper and removed each rubber band, and opened up diaper and tossed in washing machine and did the following:

prewash (cold).
cold wash/cold rinse.
Warm wash/cold rinse
Hot wash/cold rinse
Hot wash/cold rinse (this was just because I wanted to be sure the diapers were completely clean from any residual dye)

Dry.

Take pics. *grin*

Wear.

I followed http://www.pburch.net/dyeing.shtml instructions and used fiber reactive dye. However, because I'm allergic to latex, I made sure to wear latex free gloves and mask and tried hard not to get any latex (from the rubber bands dust) on me - I wore long sleeves and long pants and laundered the clothing I wore thoroughly (to ensure no residual latex).

hth.

I LOVE my diapers!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks ladies...I'm feelin better. Need practice!

happyfrog...love the tie dye. That is soooo cool.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyfrog
Here's what I did:

tied up the diapers (clean, dry)
soaked in soda ash for somewhere between 20 minutes and 2 hours (I DO have two young children, lol)
added water to my fiber reactive dye
Wrung out the soaked diapers
Laid out a big piece of plastic on the grass on the front yard and squirted each diaper with a fun array of colors til they were all very saturated.
Wrapped each tie dye bundle in a saran wrap 'coccoon'.
Left the bundles in a shady spot on my front porch for about 12-18 hours (to give the dye time to saturate deeply)

Then, I unwrapped each diaper and removed each rubber band, and opened up diaper and tossed in washing machine and did the following:

prewash (cold).
cold wash/cold rinse.
Warm wash/cold rinse
Hot wash/cold rinse
Hot wash/cold rinse (this was just because I wanted to be sure the diapers were completely clean from any residual dye)

Dry.

Take pics. *grin*

Wear.

I followed http://www.pburch.net/dyeing.shtml instructions and used fiber reactive dye. However, because I'm allergic to latex, I made sure to wear latex free gloves and mask and tried hard not to get any latex (from the rubber bands dust) on me - I wore long sleeves and long pants and laundered the clothing I wore thoroughly (to ensure no residual latex).

hth.

I LOVE my diapers!!
Thanks so much for these tips! Did you rinse all the different tie-dyed prefolds together, even though you dyed them with different colors? They didn't bleed onto each other?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wawoof
Thanks so much for these tips! Did you rinse all the different tie-dyed prefolds together, even though you dyed them with different colors? They didn't bleed onto each other?
Each batch was washed together. I didn't separate them in any way.

The washing is so that the EXCESS dye can be removed. Whatever's gonna stick on the diaper has done so by the time you unbundle and wash.

hth!

OH, I only used 2 T of laundry detergent - in the FIRST full wash load. All the rest were just water - no soap added. . . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts