Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I had bleeding again this morning.  Not a little bit like before, but uh yeah, I was shaking it frightened me so badly.  I was brushing my teeth this morning and had turned on the shower to heat the water up.  I could feel something was going on, so I hopped into the shower just in time to see a major gush of blood. WTF seriously??  Unfortunately, my daughter barged into the washroom right at that moment and got to witness the horror show.  Greeeattttt.  So she's all freaked out and stressed and claimed that she'd "pray for me" at school today (brand new catholic school student just learning about religion...probably thinks I'm possessed lol).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I called my midwife's pager as instructed, and she called me back promptly to tell me that, really, there's not much that can be done.  She's leary of having me come in to check for a heart-beat as it just might stress me out needlessly if she can't find one (I'm only 11 weeks so it's still quite early).  She said it very well could be a miscarriage, but it could be several other things as well.  I have my 12 week ultrasound scheduled for the 7th...but that just seems so far away.  She told me that unless I'm filling a pad an hour (and I'm not) that I can just sit tight and keep off my feet as much as possible, no strenuous activity (also great...I'm scheduled to chaperone Brownie camp this weekend, which involves hiking and lots of physical activity).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I just really hate this bleeding stuff. =(</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So what are the reasons for bleeding that DONT mean miscarriage?  Just trying to keep my spirits up while I wait this out. =/</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
<p>I don't have an answer to your questions but wanted to tell you I'm sorry for this scare you're going through. She didn't give you any hints as to what else might be going on? </p>

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Reasons for bleeding during pregnancy according to about.com:<br>
<a href="http://miscarriage.about.com/od/amimiscarrying/tp/reasonsforbleeding.htm" target="_blank">http://miscarriage.about.com/od/amimiscarrying/tp/reasonsforbleeding.htm</a><br><br>
also, I'm not sure why you wouldn't think it's likely to see a heartbeat at 11 weeks. I think around 7 weeks is when a heartbeat usually shows up on ultrasound. I had an early ultrasound at around 6 weeks and I saw a heartbeat. Unless you are referring to using other methods besides ultrasound of finding the heartbeat...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
<p>la mamita- I think since she is going with a midwife they will likely use a fetoscope or doppler and at 11 weeks not all dopplers pick up hb and fetoscope doesn't.   </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Nikki-could it be sex?  Or a subchorionic hemorrhage?  These seem to often resolve by 20 weeks, from what I have heard.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck.   I hope all goes well for you!</p>

·
Registered
29 Posts
<p>I bled heavily in my 2nd and third preganancies.  One started at 6 weeks and the other at 14 weeks.  Both times, I was diagnosed by ultrasound with a subchorionic hematoma.  I carried both pregnancies to term.  One of the things which the doctor told me to watch for was cramping.  She said painless heavy bleeding is often due to something like a subchorionic hematoma. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I totally understand your fear!  I thought I was miscarrying both times and had almost a shock-like reaction. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Keep us updated! </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>Subchronic hematoma?  I'll have to look that one up.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It's certainly not due to sex (we've been too afraid!), and I have had some cramping.  Last night when I got home, I lost a substantial clot which I don't think is a good sign at all.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Max's Momma is right, my midwife offered to come over with her little doppler to check for a heartbeat, but warned me it may just stress me out further if one wasn't found.  I HAVE seen a very strong heartbeat on my dating ultrasound, which the midwife says is a good sign.  She said that it's rare to lose the baby after seeing an ultrasound with good progress and a good heartbeat (the baby was measuring ahead a few days from my first dating ultrasound at 5 weeks.)  I'm scheduled for an ultrasound at 12 weeks (next Tuesday), and unless I can have them bump my appointment up, will have to wait until then before I know anything.  I stayed home today at my midwife's suggestion, so I'm off my feet at least and relaxing away from a stressful work environment.  I'll call today to see if they can perhaps bump my ultrasound up, as my midwife said it'd be fine to have it anywhere between 11 and 12 weeks.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Stressful, though.  This is certainly my scariest pregnancy.  I didn't have anything like this for the first two at all!</p>

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
<p>DDC-crashing, just to offer my story.  I had a big gush of bright red blood (no cramping, no clots) on a Friday as I left work.  I was almost 7 weeks pregnant.  At the time I was seeing an OB/GYN (I've since switched to a midwife).  I was super-scared and sad, but didn't go to the ER because the bleeding seemed to taper off pretty quickly. My OB did an ultrasound on the following Monday, and we could see the heart beating.  She wouldn't speculate as to whether it was a SCH, but I think it might have been.  At any rate, my spotting went away pretty quickly after that, and SO far, I'm 24 weeks pregnant and have a healthy baby so far, which I'm hoping stays that way!  I'm thinking of you.  It's stressful.  I hate bleeding, too!!</p>

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<p>Thanks for the reassuring story. =)  I have my midwife appointment this morning, and will see if she can check for a heartbeat.  Otherwise, my ultrasound is tomorrow so hopefully I'll have a better idea of what's going on.  It really is scary, though.</p>

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<p>Good news update:  She was able to find a heartbeat!  It took her a little while, as it would appear that my placenta is in the front and was doing a good job of blocking any baby sounds.  But it was definitely there. =)  So hopefully I'll get a better clue at my ultrasound tomorrow as to WHY I'm bleeding.  But chances are I may never know what's causing it.  Flukey pregnancy junk.  So not fun!</p>

·
Registered
496 Posts
<p>awesome news!</p>

·
Registered
1 Posts
<p>Hello... I cannot answer your medical questions. However, I can tell you that I am due June 20, 2011. On December 3, 2010, I got up to go and have my CVS testing done. I had to travel 150 miles to take this test. When I went into the shower, I was flooding with blood.. terrified.. I went straight to the hospital. When I got to the doctor, he said.. the first thing we have to do is ensure that we still have a heartbeat. They did that using an ultrasound and my baby was fine.. playing and having a good time flipping inside my body.  Doctor said that I needed to go home and rest for a few days. Meaning... do nothing.. no lifting no working no cleaning no nothing. I did. Did not have any other problems. He also told me that I had nothing to worry about unless I bleed so much that I filled a pad in a hour, then I needed to come back.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Went to the doctor yesterday for 16 week checkup... nurse nor doctor could find a heartbeat... went to the ultrasound... baby is playing as usual...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We (as new parents) tend to overanalyze everything.. I have... trust your doctor or midwife (whichever you decided upon) and trust God. Things will work out for you.</p>

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<p>Thanks. =)  Just had my 16 week appointment and we still have a healthy, strong heartbeat (and a healthy strong placenta that seems to want to take over everything and block us from hearing the baby!)  I'm still having occasional bleeding and spotting, but am getting less and less worried about it.  Now that I can regularly feel the baby moving, I see no need to stress about things I can't do anything about! =)</p>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts