Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd found a decent OB practice at my local hospital. It'd been recommended here. Unfortunately all the CNM's are full on patients and the only OB they could get me in to see was this new guy. After my visit yesterday, I cant say I'll be going back if at all possible-long story short, he's insisting I'm wrong on the day I got pregnant, that my positive pregnancy tests on the day he's saying I got pregnant were a mistake, and moved my due date up almost 2 weeks based on a US at 7.5 weeks. I dont need to go into all of it, but I KNOW he's wrong and he wouldnt even attempt to get a heartbeat because *I'm not in the second trimester* (according to him).

Ok anyway, I need to find a new OB or CNM. I'm in Bothell, I wanted to deliver at Evergreen, but at this point, I'll go someplace else if need be. I'm a VBAC or I'd be seeing my old midwives
. I just cant stay with an OB who wont even believe I had a positive pregnancy test or that I know when I was pregnant-I mean, this is my 7th pregnancy ffs. GRRR.

If anyone has any rec's, please let me know. Thanks

· Registered
233 Posts
I used the midwives with the Center for Women's Health at Evergreen for my ds's VBAC. I had good experiences with them, though he was born in Feb. 2007 and I've heard they've gotten stricter about certain things since then. I'm using Sally Avenson (CNM) this time and will deliver at Group Health. She gets mixed reviews on here, but I've been really happy with her and like her. Cindie Brown (CNM) gets lots of rave reviews, but she fills up quickly and I was unable to get on with her because she wasn't taking deliveries in December, when I'm due, because she will be on vacation. Good luck!

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats where I was trying to go. The midwives there arnt taking anyone atm-maybe cause I'm already 13 weeks? I dont know. But they told me they were *full.* They also couldnt get me in to see anyone else but this new OB.

I cant go to group health unfortunately. I'm in a small pocket where GH isnt an option (because of my address). If I were a block north, I could. -_-

I might try Cindie but I heard the same, she fills up quickly and again, I'm already in the 2nd trimester, but its worth a try
Thanks!

· Registered
239 Posts
I don't know your situation as to your csection or how many csections you have had but i would just go with a home birth and find a midwife that does VBAC's there are some out there and you can IM me if you are interested! I just had a VBAC at home and it was awesome! So unless there is a medical reason that you need to be in a hospital that's what i would do! the hospitals are getting rediculous with what they will or will not allow with VBAC's!

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I havent checked this thread in awhile, sorry.

I've only had 1 cesarean, my last, due to HELLP at 33 weeks. I've had 4 vaginal births, so its not like I *cant.* lol

The reason I wasnt going with homebirth is because medicaid wont cover the birth. They cover the prenatal care, but not the actual delivery, which means paying a grand out of pocket.

I'm back at the homebirth midwives though. I couldnt find another option I was happy with-I couldnt find a CNM and the OBs I met made me feel like I should go unassisted for the whole pregnancy. We really cant afford the cost, but I'm doing whatever I can to come up with enough. So dumb that medicaid would rather pay for a repeat cesarean than a homebirth. Ugh.

· Registered
7,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloe&Coop'sMom View Post
I thought that Washington Medicaid covered homebirths? Or is it because it is a vbac?
Yes, it's because it's a VBAC. I think most insurance won't cover an out of hospital VBAC, if any do. I would guess you *might* be able to get the prenatal care covered, but not the delivery fee part.

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have medicaid/Molina. And neither cover HBAC. Like I said, they'd rather pay for a repeat cesarean (what, around $8k for a normal cesarean) than pay a grand for a homebirth. Smart huh? -_-

· Registered
231 Posts
I started at Center for Women's Health at Evergreen and while they used to be more supportive (with my second pregnancy, ended in mc 2007) things are definitely tightening up.
I tried Cindie Brown, but by the time I called her (I believe I was 9 weeks) she was full already.
I decided to make the trip across the bridge and go to the UW Midwives and so far I've been very happy. I've met 3 of the regular 5 midwives and they've all been very supportive. No required OB visit (unless some health concern comes up), they haven't balked about the size of my son (he was big and the Evergreen group was super obsessed with it and required my VBAC attempt be based on 36 week US estimating < 9 lbs which wasn't acceptable to me), and so far they are treating this like a NORMAL pregnancy and delivery. (I'm now 19 weeks). And when I went in they ASSUMED I wanted a VBAC, they didn't even bring up a repeat cesarean.

My friend attempted a VBAC there last November and although ended in a (medically necessary) cesarean she was very happy with her care.

Drawbacks: 520 (but from my house in Woodinville it hasn't taken me more than 35 minutes to get to the parking garage, my appointments have been between 8:30-10:30), the parking that you have to pay for and on a shallow note the consult rooms are small and not pretty like I'd become accustomed to at Evergreen.

Good luck finding something that works for you!

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah sadly, that wont work for me. Anything very far is a total pain because my car won't go into 3rd gear (and it isnt worth it to get a new transmission). I'm getting a new car in the next few weeks, hopefully-but in the meantime, anything requiring freeway access is out. I do realise I can get there via backroads but its such a pain.

I'd also be a little concerned about the distance for me personally. My last (vaginal) birth was 3 hours from PROM-which I wasnt even sure happened at first, it was a tiny leak-to her birth. As it is with a homebirth, we're preparing for an unassisted. The midwives barely made it in time last time and that was with me trying to not push for about 45 minutes. o_O

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.