Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in Allergies too..<br>
does this sound like a possible food allergy, maybe milk protein allergy?<br>
ds2 is 6 weeks old and has had a diaper rash for the majority of his little life- I had mastitis about 1 week post partum and was on antibiotics- his rash really showed up during that, so I tried lots of remedies for a yeast infection, and he got a nystatin prescrption last week. it started to get better, but now it's worse again. It's raised red spots around the anus, and general redness around his crack, where poop in a diaper would touch him.<br>
His poops have been very liquidy, more than I remember with my first child. They're no longer seedy, and just leave stains in his diaper because it's all absorbed. When he poops when nakey, its huges gushes.. like milk consistency, and yellow-orange. He's nakey butt about 6 hours a day, and he never sits in a poopy diaper more than a minute- he screams so bad.<br>
he's pretty cranky too and constantly wants to be swaddled and held in the wrap carrier.<br>
wondering if this rash/diarrhea is more than the yeast.. maybe allergy. He is also being treated with oral nystatin for suspected thrush.. there are a few white bumps in his mouth. I've been fine though but doing preventive care for myself. He screams during many feedings, and usually nurses for a total of 5 minutes, but his weight gain has been good.. up about 4 pounds since birth

·
Registered
713 Posts
My DS has milk protein sensitivity; his is "severe" in the sense that I can have NO milk protein, not even "hidden" dairy in anything. All babies experience sensitivities in their own way, but here was our experience: He had redness around his anus, not really any rashiness anywhere else, very fussy and sometimes inconsolable crying, lots of gas and would be in lots of pain, green mucousy poop, spitting up a lot after every feed.<br><br>
At first I thought it was reflux, but then I happened to notice that it was worse one evening when I had eaten a meal heavy on dairy at lunch. So, I cut dairy out and within a few days he was feeling better. Within 2 weeks, he was a different kid. Then, I was accidently given dairy in a dairy free smoothie (thanks college kids at smoothie place who swore to me the protein was soy until I called to ask the ingredients later that night) and he was back to the same symptoms within a few hours.<br><br>
Anyway, here's the <a href="http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/food-sensitivity.html" target="_blank">Kellymom article</a> that helped me. If it turns out dairy is your issue, feel free to pm me or anything. I have lots of resources and still eat yummy foods, just carefully. It can be annoying, but not nearly as bad as a screaming baby!

·
Registered
999 Posts
i suppose it could be, but i am wondering whether you could do something with probiotics to try and get his gut flora back in order?<br><br>
my daughter's milk sensitivity (probably allergy given family history) involved projectile vomiting, screaming, mucousy poop, and bloated abdomen. she had a bit of a red bum but not like what you describe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts