Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone experience this? My daughter for the last month now has been having dizzy spells, her eyes have been bugging her as well.

- rubbing her eyes constantly
-nausea
-dizzy spells
- complained of her eyes being "fuzzy" bugging her

She told me yesterday she hates reading out loud at class when they read chapter books because she always skips lines or loses her place and has to use a pencil to keep track of where she is.

We looked at some symptoms of needed glasses yesterday and she has them all (besides the headache symptoms..she does not get headaches) which are:

1. Squinting, closing or covering one eye
  2. Holding a book close to the face
  3. Losing his/her place while reading, dizziness, headaches, nausea
  4. Excessive clumsiness
  5. Tilting the head to one side
  6. Frequent daydreaming
  7. Using a finger as a place mark while reading
  8. Performing below potential
  9. Rubbing eyes repeatedly
I'm making her an appointment with our doctor tomorrow (Monday) and possibly an eye doctor as well but I'm wondering if anyone went through their child needing glasses and what the symptoms were.

My husband and myself do not wear glasses nor do her siblings.

I'm concerned about the dizziness spells as it doesn't seem like her needing glasses would be causing this?

Also, there has been two occasions where it provoked the dizziness a lot this past month which were a birthday party at Chuckee Cheese and the fair a couple days ago. She got veryyy dizzy after both of those things. Even last night in Shoppers where I was looking at makeup, she wanted to go home after 5 minutes because she was dizzy. Not sure if it was the bright lights? Like I said, I'm making a doctor appointment tomorrow but want any insights to parents that have went through something similar. She's 11 btw.

Concerned momma,
Jessica

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
One of my DDs wears glasses. Our insurance covers eye checks, so it is a yearly things with us. She started needed glasses when she was 14, her vision was always fine before then.

I would absolutely make an appointment with an eye doctor for your DD. If cost is an issue, call her school and ask what they know about low cost / free vision services. I work at a school and we have this information printed up for parents because vision seriously impacts learning, and many of our parents don't have insurance that covers it.

I'm sorry that you are going through this. I think it is great that you are taking her to a medical doctor as well, because the dizziness could be related to something other than her vision.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Linda,

I'm in Canada so I have free coverage for eye exams until my children turn 18 or maybe its 19. So I'm not worried about that cost. But we will need to pay for her glasses if it turns out that is what is wrong.

She is constantly rubbing her eyes and I never thought anything of it before. But now with the added quote from her a couple weeks ago that "my eyes are blurry fuzzy, bothering me" and the dizzy spells.. I'm really eager to see what the eye doctor says.

I'm also worried it is something serious causing the dizziness. :( I'm a huge worry wart so this stuff is really not easy for me. Ugh...

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
388 Posts
See the optometrist to rule out vision problems as a cause as well as your family dr. If she does need glasses take the script to a chain store such as Hakim optical (no affiluation with them just what popped into my head) as they are much cheaper than the optometrist office usually. My mom easily spends 700 on her glasses while I only spend about 200 (comparable prescription). I am sure your family dr will reccomend an eye check anyways.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks. I will be calling tomorrow to book her an eye appointment with an optometrist as well as an appointment with the family doctor in case there is some blood work we can do. Optometrist is open 8am-7pm tomorrow (Monday) - It would be great if they had an opening for tomorrow and hopefully put my worries to ease.

I TOTALLY forgot about this detail until today - but in Senior Kindergarten or maybe it was Grade 1 (she is now in grade 6) people came into the school and they did a quick "eye screening/exam", well she brought home the slip that said she did not pass and a follow up with an optometrist was recommended. I did take her to the optometrist after that and she passed all tests but there was one left to do which was they put some eye drop into her eye to make her pupil dilate so he can see in or something - well I declined that test as she passed her other ones fine that he did and I believed she didn't "pass" the school eye screening test because she is very shy and I thought maybe she just was not answering the questions eg. what number is this?. The optometrist didn't say we HAD to do that last test, it was up to me and I decided it wasn't necessary as I knew my daughter would HATE the eye drops. Now, I wish I did the test! Geeze, this was probably 5-6 years ago now?

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Our vision shifts over time, which is why a yearly exam is recommended.

Dilating the eyes allows the optometrist to look inside the eye, which can allow her/him to see early signs of disease. I doubt that your decision to not have her eyes dilated played into the current situation. If she had been having this problem all this time, you would have known about it before now.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
We've been getting our kids' glasses at zennioptical.com. (I have no affiliation with them, justThey are super cheap, although shipping is a bit slow. Talk to your eye doctor about getting a pupillary distance so that the glasses can be sized properly.

The dizziness might be related to squinting to see things, or straining to focus.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
In Canada, Clearly.ca (formerly ClearlyContacts.ca is the most popular option for online shopping for glasses. They have a great interface, excellent prices, etc.

But as a mom to three kids with glasses, they've all felt self-conscious enough at the beginning, with their first pair, that they wanted to try frames on in person, in real life. It cost more, but it was money well-spent to help them feel comfortable with their choices.

Miranda

·
Registered
199 Posts
We knew my DD needed glasses at age 3 because her eyes were crossing. I am not sure why you didn't have her eyes properly checked via dilation. In my experience, pediatricians do not know much about vision issues. Our pediatrician thought she needed an MRI with sedation, all she needed was glasses. Luckily we insisted on seeing a pediatric ophthalmologist before we agreed to the MRI. Her issue is a very common strabismus. She saw the ped ophth until she was 10, when her eyes stabilized more. Now we see a local optometrist. I feel like vision issues are very important, I would keep pursuing it until you figure out what is happening.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Squimp - I decided not to do the dilation because of a few different factors. We have never noticed any problems with her vison/eyes prior to that free school screening exam and she is extremely shy (not as bad now) and I know that the eye drops/pupil dilation would of been hard for her. 2) She passed all the tests the optometrist did on her and he told me it is completely up to me - he must of said it would be unlikely to show anything since her vision was so good on the other tests etc for me to decide not to do it. If he would of highly recommended doing that test then I would of - so he must of not.

Anyways, she has an eye exam today with the optometrist. I'll post an update after. Also she is seeing the doctor today if we can get into the evening clinic at our doctor's office... if not then she is not see the doctor until Thursday.

I started reading about iron deficiency and it sounds more like what is going on rather than her eyes. We will see though.

I'm trying to not think it is something worse than glasses and iron deficiency - the "dizzy" spells are concerning me. I have a really hard time not jumping to worst case scenario... I'm a big worrier esp when it comes to me kiddies. But I know she has most of the iron deficiency symptoms (my husband had this problem as a child) and she has some symptoms of needing glasses - and they can both cause dizziness.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So we had doctor appointment and he ordered blood work which she got done today. And we had appointment with Optometrist. He said she seemed to have trouble when he moved different letters up closer to her face and when he tried the lenses she said it was smoother where it was harder to read without lenses. He wrote a prescription and said she should use her glasses when reading/for school and electronics.

The prescription says: OD sphere +0.25 OD CYL -0.25 OD AXIS 120
OS sphere +0.25 OS CYL -0.50 OS AXIS 010
Then it says RELAX SEE TRIVEX / AR COATING

Can anyone make sense of this to me that knows anything about these numbers? I had a screaming/fed up 2 year old on my hip and it all caught me off guard.

I was kind of surprised she needed reading glasses/glasses for school. He said he wasn't sure if it had anything to do with the dizziness or not. It almost seemed to me like he was just writing me a prescription to write a prescription in hopes I buy her glasses there. It is a new (very nice inside) business and they were NOT busy in there. We were the only ones and then he and receptionist insisted checking my 2 year olds eyes today when we were about to leave because they had time. I declined as he was NOT in the mood for anymore of anything lol. The eye doctor just seemed like he was trying to pull a fast one on me... just the impression I got and the lack of eye contact/looking away from me. Maybe it is just his personality though.

Anyways can anyone make sense of this prescription for me? Is it a pretty "weak/barley there" prescription and I would basically just be buying some over priced frames?

Her blood work should be in tomorrow or the next day for the iron and CBC blood count.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
There are plenty of options for inexpensive glasses if you're concerned about costs, but even not much of a prescription can make a big difference in terms of headaches, dizziness, and ability to focus.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Definitely a "barely there" prescription: pretty much the smallest correction possible. By comparison, my really far-sighted dd has a prescription strength of +5.25, my moderately far-sighted kids who just wear glasses when doing a lot of close work have prescriptions in the +1.00 to +1.75 range. I think I'd ask your doc before pursuing glasses, unless you have extended health coverage that would pay for them.

Miranda

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok. I thought it was a next to nothing prescription. Really think it was all BS and he wanted me to buy the expensive kid package for eye glasses. Was like 150 for kid frames and 175 for lenses!!!! There is two doctors there and they both have the same last name, one guy and one women.. the women doctor was the receptionist because I know from the picture on there website where it shows the two doctors. So they don't even have a receptionist... don't think they have any business as no one else was in there and he said he had time to do my sons eyes when we were leaving... I said no. Won't be going back there for any of my kids eye exams. I wanted to go to the place we went before but they were booked up until next week and this place could get me in the next day.

Waiting for the doctors office to call about her blood work we did yesterday. Really hoping they get it in today. Might not be until tomorrow.

I hope they call and say she has low iron ad not something worse. Also worried her blood work comes back fine with no answers. She is home again today because she is dizzy when she walks. Not a spinning dizzy, a different dizzy. That and pale and extremely tired. She's been having problems like this for a month now.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Check CVS and such, based on what my mom's worn as reading glasses you can probably find reading glasses that will work off the rack, for ~$25. If she was seeing better to read with glasses, she needs reading glasses. So don't dismiss it because it's minor.

What you'd be paying for with the optometry glasses is precision and style. But if she's only putting them on in class it's not going to be as huge of a deal to her as it would be for wearing it all the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Secondtimemama: What is CVS? Where would I go to find reading glasses off the rack?

Also I just got her blood work back (I just called our doctor office). They did a CBC and checked iron and all was normal. Very shocked that she does not have low iron as she had all of the symptoms. Also surprised her CBC came back normal, with how dizzy/tired she is.

Could needing this low prescription glasses really be causing all this tiredness and dizziness? I really feel like the Optometrist was lying to me saying she needed this low prescription as I stated in my above post.

I made another appointment with our doctor but we can't get in until Oct 6.... She is home again today from school. Maybe need to go out today get some glasses.

I'm worried about her.:frown:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Secondtimemama: What is CVS? Where would I go to find reading glasses off the rack?

Also I just got her blood work back (I just called our doctor office). They did a CBC and checked iron and all was normal. Very shocked that she does not have low iron as she had all of the symptoms. Also surprised her CBC came back normal, with how dizzy/tired she is.

Could needing this low prescription glasses really be causing all this tiredness and dizziness? I really feel like the Optometrist was lying to me saying she needed this low prescription as I stated in my above post.

I made another appointment with our doctor but we can't get in until Oct 6.... She is home again today from school. Maybe need to go out today get some glasses.

I'm worried about her.:frown:
Sorry, it's a drugstore in the US which has a pharmacy as well as medications without prescriptions and things like shampoo and such. Most stores that sell shampoo, menstrual pads, toothpaste, aspirin, etc, will probably have a display of reading glasses in the same area as those items.

And yes, absolutely, 100% if someone needs reading glasses they will have headaches, blurry vision, all kinds of problems if they don't use reading glasses. Particularly in a classroom where it's not going to be as possible to change where the writing is located. Some people with minor vision problems can get by with holding things farther away or closer, like holding the menu at arms' length in a restaurant, but you can't move a chalkboard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok thank Secondtimemom! I'm in Canada so somewhere like Shoppers Drugmart would probably have reading glasses. Were going to go check them out in a bit. Is there kid ones or are they all just like one size? How will I know what strength hers should be? Just have her try them on and read something to see what works well?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ok thank Secondtimemom! I'm in Canada so somewhere like Shoppers Drugmart would probably have reading glasses. Were going to go check them out in a bit. Is there kid ones or are they all just like one size? How will I know what strength hers should be? Just have her try them on and read something to see what works well?
The displays I've seen have little reading charts. I've been thinking of your daughter as a teen who would be able to wear glasses sized for women, if she's younger you might not be able to get something that fits. 11 could be right on the edge. But since she's only going to use them for reading, you could always attach them to a stick and let her pretend like she's using a lorgnette :grin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We ended up going to a different eye place in our city and they explained the prescription to me. They also told me that her symptoms most definitely could be from eye strain and this low prescription could be what is needed like the other optometrist said she was having difficulty focusing close up. So this place was cheaper then what I got quoted at the other place a couple days ago. The other place was 175 for frames and 150 for lenses. This place is 100 for frames and 100 for lenses and she gets a second lense for free for whenever she needs/wants it. So total is $198.

I took my daughter to shoppers to try on glasses before going to the other eye place and she couldn't see out of any of the glasses all blurry. The lowest prescription we could find at shoppers was +1.25 and her prescription is +0.25. The lady at the eye place told us she needs something different than the dollar store or shoppers reading glasses and that's why they were not working for her when we tried them on.

I hope this is worth it and it helps her dizziness. $200 is a lot of money for us. I want her to feel better though!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts