Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is just over 4 months and hardly ever cries. Sunday and Monday this week he didn't ever cry...he wimpers a little bit before he goes down for naps or sleep, but doesn't really cry. I know that if I try putting him down in bed at night without laying with him, he'll freak out, so I don't and he's cool!

Of course there are many people who offer "advice". I've been told to put him down more (we like to carry/sling him around) so he gets used to it and if "he cries, he cries." Bull, that's not happening here....

But then I start to question my parenting, am I doing something wrong?!? I have never been around a baby that doesn't cry. He is a very happy fella, loves to talk and giggle and play. So I'm thinking nothing is "wrong" with him, he's just a happy baby, lucky me! Or am I missing something?

SIDENOTE: What about tummy time? I've read some of the past threads on tummy time...DS isn't too impressed with it, we play on the floor a lot and roll him onto his stomach off and on. He's ok for about 5 minutes and then has had enough. When he starts to get ticked I roll him back...again people are telling me "if he gets mad enough on his stomach he'll roll over". He hasn't mastered that yet. When did your DC first roll over?

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Good for you! My ds only cries when hungry and tired. The older he gets and the more mobile he has more problems falling asleep and will cry when overtired but yep, not all babies do a lot of crying.

Tummy time got more tolerable when ds could flip over and get there on his own. He used to whine alot in the beginning but he was just in a hurry to get used to it and use his muscles. I would flip him back over but he's go back right away because he wanted to be there. I think the whole tummy time thing is so they don't get flat heads from laying on their backs. If you baby wear you prob don't have that prob.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I think that if I dind't have two other children, Amelie would never cry. She even likes to be put down awake so she can suck her thumb and go to sleep. If I try to rock her to sleep, she squirms and gets really fussy. She does whine and fuss a bit sometimes, but the only times she full on cries are when I can't get to her because I'm tied up wiping a poopy butt or something. She can usually see me and I bet she's wondering why I haven't made it over to her yet - so she wails. She has also done this in the car when she had a poopy diaper and I couldn't pull over to change her for a few minutes.
She just rolled over from back to belly the other day. She isn't even close to doing belly to back. She pushes up on her arms and wiggles her legs around like she's swimming, but she hasn't tried to roll over that way. She's 3.5 months.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Another babe who rarely cries here.

As for laying down with him -- once he falls asleep try putting your tishirt or whatever that you have been wearing next to him or with him as a blankie. Sometimes that mama smell helps sooth them.

Just enjoy your happy babe -- obviously you are a great Mama!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sounds like he is a happy guy that has a momma that can probably read the other signs he is giving her. I wish my dd2 didn't cry so much!! It has been getting better since I am learning her subtle signs, like a certain way she looks at me.
As far as rolling over, dd2 is 7 months and only goes from belly to back when she's on the bed. She just hates being on her belly and crys when shes there. And she's finally starting to like the sling!!

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Julia only liked being on her tummy once she figured out how to creep around, which was in her 8th month. Up until then, if she got 5 minutes of tummy time a day it was a miracle. She rolled over around 4 months, and crawled at 9-- pretty average. I think tummy time is overrated, unless you have a baby who spends his day lying in a bucket, in which case a flat head is a risk. Babywearing is the best anti-flat-head remedy I know, and I still maintain that being in a sling helps develop baby's muscles as much as lying around on the floor.

As far as crying, it sounds like you have an even-tempered baby who manages to get his needs met without crying. Certainly don't put him down if it doesn't feel right to you-- just because he doesn't cry to be held doesn't mean he doesn't need it. Don't listen to anyone that tells you you'll spoil him or that he needs to "learn" to be put down-- hogwash! Babies need to be held and snuggled and cuddled and played with.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yes, definitely enjoy it, you aren't doing anything wrong!! My 2nd DD is like that and it is heaven!

I wouldn't worry about tummy time at all. I tried to make DD1 like it and she never did so I gave up. I knew she'd roll over eventually and she did. I think she was ~6 months old, maybe a bit younger.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
My ds is also not a crier. He didn't like tummy time either, so I didn't force it, just did short sessions every so often. He figured out back-to-tummy rolling which is supposed to be harder at not quite 3 months. Tummy to back came shortly after and ever since he figured out rolling he was OK with tummy time--HE controlled it!
Now at 7 mos he sits, he crawls, he can get himself sat up from his tummy. There are times he practically jumps out of my arms after a cat!!
sounds totally normal to me....

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Enjoy that baby! Mine is a noisy one! You're doing everything right, you're listening to your baby.

Dd 1/18/05 can get from front to back and back to front, and she likes getting to her front but then gets frustrated and doesn't always remember to go back. We always turn her when the whine starts, before any little cry, and more often than not she's back on her belly in a few minutes.

Tummy time is because we live in the "put baby on back to sleep" mode, babies used to sleep on their bellies and use all their muscles when they woke up and had built in tummy time every day.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You are blessed! What a happy baby. My ds only cries when hungry or tired. Maybe you are meeting your child's need before they get to the desperate crying stage...good for you.

As for tummy time, my ds also didn't enjoy it much until about 4 mo or so. He rolled because he was mad at about 2 weeks and isn't really a roller now at 7 mo. Only to get a toy out of reach.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
ITA w/ the PP - temperment plus your anticipating and needing needs (shows me that your mama radar is working well!!
)

kavamamakava, sounds like me! I don't think DD would ever cry if she were an only child. She's completely happy if she's nursed, held and snuggled, but the few times where I can't get to her, she'll start. Like today - I was putting DS down for his nap and I heard her start fussing (she was laying under a mobile that kept her happy for a few minutes until she realized mama was in the other room..I think she heard my voice) and I was trying to rush through DS's stories when I heard her start to cry. So I wrapped up with DS and rushed off to her and *he* started crying...that's the toughest part about having more than one...I don't think DS ever got beyond fussing. I hate hearing either one start!!

Oh, for the OP (and others with babies who don't like tummy time) - trying doing it with them lying on your chest (you lying down too) when baby is alert and awake and you can have nice face to face that way. Mine have always preferred that to a blanket on the floor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.