Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I have worked with chickens on farms (where I grew veggies) for over a decade.  But I have never been in charge of the girls myself.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Now I am going to do some farm projects for a preschool started by a friend.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Advice on design for a chicken house or tractor?<br>
Breeds?</p>
<p>Any other advice?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
808 Posts
<p>Chickens and kids get along great!  I do suggest a calmer breed (one of the older, larger ones like Sussexes, Dorkings, etc) rather than flightier hybrid layers.  Also, the kids would probably take to the colorful feathers typical of older breeds.  Handle the chickens a lot from the beginning so that they will be calm with the kids.  I don't have specific suggestions on the coop except that ideally you'd want the laying boxes in an easy access location (like they open to the outside of the coop or the kids can walk right into the coop/pen to get eggs without fear of letting the chickens out) so that the kids can participate in egg collection.  Make sure it's easy to keep clean . If you aren't using a permanent coop and the deep litter method of bedding for keeping things clean, consider the floor surface.  A wipe-able linoleum works well, as does a mesh bottom for a chicken tractor and cleaning after moving (but if you get ducks to go with the chickens, ever, they'll need a softer surface).</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts