Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to start a thread to see how everyone who has gone/is going/wants to go simple is doing.
We have been doing flats for over 2 weeks now and loving it. We keep a couple AIO's in the diaper bag and sometimes will use a prefold at night instead of flats. But, 98% of the time he is in flats!
They come clean and are so cute! Today I bought some of the flour sack towels at wal-mart and dyed them up with Judy (mykdsmomy) and those are really cute too. The only issue I have with those is I feel like I should pin them instead of snappi'ing unless I fold two at a time. But, with the Downey Advanced, they are really nice and soft. My favorite though still are the flannel - maybe it's my snappi's being new, but they do a pretty good job holding the flat. (I also really love my lone german flat ... I hope that weebees gets more of those in soon.) So, anyone else going simple and want to share how it's going?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I'm on board for simple...but then again we are almost one in the same person.... :LOL
There's gotta be more simple mama's out there...anyone??

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I used to do just pf's and nylon pull-ons--and I loved them!! This kid's a supersoaker though
Maybe I should get some more hemp flats--we love those!!

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh ... have no fear Mama! If you get some flats that take snappi's really well (like birdseye), then you just have to practice the folding a few times and it becomes second nature. I am loving the kite fold ... it fits my ds really well and I can modify it a little so at the end it's a little like a kite/prefold fold. There are bunches of links for flat folding ... if you have a receiving blanket you can practice just to see if you like it before buying.
And I'm telling you ... they look so darn cute! I have a couple pictures of my ds and mykdsmomy's ds from today in their flats ... when mine goes to sleep, I'll post them.

ETA: I am in love with your prefold/t-shirt sets! If only you had a 24 month/2T ... I would have to fall from this precarious perch on a wagon!

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
I've been using prefolds and wool covers for awhile. I just learned how to do the oragami fold today. I've been practicing with receiving blankets and I'm getting pretty good at it. I'm definitely going to buy some flats now!

When I made the decision to cd, it was because I liked how simple the dipes are nowadays, with all the snaps and such. I bought all kind of dipes. Now, 3 months later, I'm simplifying my stash from AIO's to prefolds and I'm pinning flats! Who woulda thunk it, huh? :LOL

·
Registered
786 Posts
so do you fold them before diaper change? Or do you fold them as your changing? In other words.. I have a PF pretty much folded how I want it on my ds waiting for him as I get the diaper off.... nevermind.. its late! LOLOLOL

How do the birdseye hold up to heavy wetters? I guess I could double them, huh? I have several doz on the way (mainly for my biz) But I have heard so many good things about them!

Mylittlewonders.. keep your eyes peeled! Oh, and I would love to see a pic of flats ON!!

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It depends on my mood - sometimes I'm really good and I'll fold them and put them in the laundry basket (where I keep the diapers that are being used - right now all flats and some pf's). Sometimes I'm pulling a flat out of the clean bag waiting to be folded and just fold it up before I take the wet/dirty diaper off. And, I usually double them up when folding or I'll fold one (like a receiving blanket) down until it's about the size of a doubler and lay it inside the flat I'm going to put on him.

And ... I have a feeling you are waiting on the same coop of birdseye that I'm waiting on!
I got them mostly for me but also for biz ... I'm quite anxious to get them as I've never seen these before (the birdseye I use I just made from fabric I got at DiaperShop). And yep, I'm going to have to check back.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Wow, I had felt like a lot of people were going simple. I just did as well. Mostly prefitteds and wool. We too have the occasion AIO or pocket for when we're out. Otherwise we've gone simple as well. I love it, and am so glad we decided to go this way. And I must say.. thanks to the mama's here for encouraging it

·
Registered
475 Posts
We also keep it very simple and affordable....
We use flats and prefolds.... mostly that were given to us and then covers... we are phasing in soakers that I am crocheting.....
I also purchased some hemp terry that I have hemmed the edges and use for flats as well and for wipes.

DD is now 14 months and I know I haven't spent anymore than $50.00 all together!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hello! I dunno how simple I am; I am planning on sewing pre-folds for my baby (coming in Dec.!!). DH and I tried the flat thing ( on tissue paper
), and it just seems so complicated! We have no desire to go to flats, but I think we will be (nearly) exclusively PFing. My friend gave me a couple of AIOs, so I might use those for going out. However, the same friend gave me TONS of covers, so I can just take the PFs out with us
!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
We are using mostly wool and prefolds. I do have FB too and a couple PUL covers. Depends on our mood.

I must say I really like the prefolds even better than the FB but still will keep some on hand for outings and family.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well, I guess this is sort of relative around here. I think we're relatively simple. We've been using mostly prefolds for both kiddos. We trifold in a wool cover for ds and snappi for dd. I have a flat, but have to go back and look at the folds again. I tried the kite fold, but it seemed to not work because my flat is not an exact square.
I still have a ton of fitteds that I'm not letting go yet and we have a few aio's for outings. Getting there...

·
Registered
831 Posts
I used flats and wool on DD exclusivly up until about a week ago (she's 4 mtns.). She is just getting to big to fit the fold I have been using. I'm not sure what the fold is called, I got it out of a book, but I have really loved it as the middle layer ends up being 8 layers and with my tissue paper flats, at least it has made them semi-absorbant. I
how clean these get and how quickly they dry. I have just purchased some prefolds, but they take much longer to dry than my flats did.

I'm thinking I need to invest in some hemp flats, or something better now, to up the absorbancy. I think it's partly the fold, though, that I have been using that I love so much. But my flats are 24"x24" and I need something bigger. Oh well, off to see what I can find!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
ds is in flats or prefolds and wool almost exclusively at home. His tush never looked better. And I know I'll never have to battle the stink with flats. I have redisocvered the joy of my snappi but pins are still my favorite!

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
We've branched out a little lately, but we're still pretty simple, too. I use snappied prefolds; I have one fitted diaper and that's it, and I only have that because it came in a bag of outgrown clothes my cousin sent me. DD just recently outgrew her Proraps, so we're using nylon pull-ons. Plain white.

I also have some pocket diapers, though-- 4 FB's and 2 Wonderoos. Mostly all plain white, as well, though, and I stuff with prefolds and washcloths, so I guess that's still a lot simpler than it could be.

I have considered flats-- so versatile, and you don't need to keep replacing sizes-- but DD is in a very squirmy phase (almost 10 months old) and it's hard enough getting a prefold on her; I couldn't manage anything more complicated. As it is, she's crying through most diaper changes, even with the finest distractions I can come up with.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts