Mothering Forum banner

Simple yes/no/other wwyd question re: starting hsing

711 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  manitoba_mommy
I have decided that my youngest will be purely home schooled and my eldest will continue in public school as long as she is happy with it but my middle girl is troubling me. Idealy I would pull her out tomorrow and be done with her school but there are some complications. First, she is recieving speech therepy and, due to my lack of a car, it would not be easy to get her to the non-school therepy location. Second, I want her evaluated for other issues ( see thread at school board http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=87329 for details) and again the non-school evaluation sight is a pain to get to. Last, she likes her school for some reason and would be realy upset at the idea of leaving.

So, here are my options, leave her in indefinetly. Wait until next year (when I may have access to a car) and start teaching her at home. Take her out when she starts geting the inevitable problems that kids get in school or take her out today.

Any insights? WWYD?

MM

(ps; the thread I linked above contains information that is very relavent to this so you might want to glance at it before answering, tia!)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
I read your thread on the other board when you first posted and throught homeschooling would be a good option, but I didn't want to say that there.

I don't think the school's evaluation will be of much benefit to you if you're daughter isn't in school. It will be focused on the way her learing differences may affect her at school, ad you're talking about homeschooling. Also, if she ends up with a label, it will follow her around throughout her school career, whether it's accurate or not, and that will affect the way school folks treat her.

Speech for a 6 yr old is somewhat controversial, since so many speech issues naturally clear up by 7 or 8. Maybe the speech therapist could give you some specific things to work on at home, and you could see about bringing her in once a month or something. I don't know about Canada, but sometimes homeschoolers can continue receiving special services for free at the school.

Instead of just pulling her, I would start by telling her that school is optional, and if some days she wants to stay home that's okay. If there's a local homeschool group with meetings that you can get to by foot or bus, maybe you could encourage her to stay home on those days.

dar
See less See more
I cannot speak for Canada, but in my state in the US HS kids are still able to take advantage of PS programs. So I would check and see if there is way to balance these issues.
It's quite possible that her school "problems" will be non-existent if she's not in school.

If you feel the speech therapy needs to continue, and you don't have transportation, would they provide transportation or send someone to your home?

My oldest couldn't stand the noise of school either. He couldn't concentrate, would come home with headaches, couldn't eat lunch, etc. The principal felt he was "too sensitive" and one of his teachers claimed he wasn't trying hard enough.

This will be his 4th year home and none of the "problems" the school identified exist.

I'd let your dd know that she doesn't have to go to school--that the things that she can't deal with (like the noises and crowds) are things she would have more control over if at home. Find out if there are portions of school that she likes (field trips? library books? whatever) that you could provide at home or elsewhere.

Maybe just knowing that she has some control over the situation will lead to a decision.
THis is just about speech and may not pertain to your dd since I don't know what sounds she has trouble with (and I only have a second so I can't read your other post right now):

I'm not sure what sounds your dd has trouble with, but my ds who just turned 8 worried me. At six he had trouble with "th", "r" (like rock sounded like wok), and "z". Now that he is 8 he can say all of the sounds without any problems (and only just recently). As his "teacher"
, I just made sure he practiced the sounds. Since the problem sounds like "th" (thuh) at the beginning of a word tripped him up very easily, I would secretly encourage words that had the sound at the end (like with, pith, etc). We did the same for the other sounds (pi"zz"a
, co"rr"ect instead of right). Once he could say the sounds correctly in the middle or end of the word we compared them to the sounds we should make at the beginning of words (they should be the same). Ocassionally I would mention where your tongue was supposed to be placed to make intended sound (like with "th" you put you tongue on the tips of you top front teeth). Everything worked out great!

I guess I made myself his speech therapist....or maybe I was just being his mom? LOL Just letting you know that you aren't alone and her problems might correct themselves without the help of a therapist.

Margar
See less See more
Quote:
It's quite possible that her school "problems" will be non-existent if she's not in school.
Maybe the "problem" is more of fitting a square peg in a round hole? Would you still be concerned about her if it wasn't that she doesn't fit well in the school enviroment?
Depending on her particular speech needs, you can do much of the work at home yourself and have it be more wholistic as well.
If she has simple articulation/motor issues, that's pretty manageable.
I'd suggest Super Duper Publications and Linguisystems as resources for a start.
Depending on your situation, 'hire' a (non-school) SLP for a consult with the clear understanding that she's hired to train YOU with oral-motor exercises, shaping sounds, etc.
I just sent an email to a friend-of-a-friend with a speech-delayed, newly-diagnosed-as-deaf child. I'll pm you if/when I find it.
Teresa
(we zapped DDs 'severe' articulation issues in about 6 weeks ourselves--but don't get me started on our experience with the SLPs)
I'm not sure where you are, in MB or another province. In MB, we can still receive services from ps IF the principal or superintendent in your area is ok with the idea. I've known a quite a few families in Winnipeg who've gotten services, borrowed materials or sent kids for selected courses through ps. It depends on how good your relationship is with the school, and how valuable the services they were providing are to you.

It sounds like you really would like her to continue with speech through the school, and from the other thread you linked, that your dd has some Sensory Integration issues. My ds also has SID, and that was the single biggest problem we had with the school. Some divisions and teachers in MB are ok with this, but most are very far behind in knowledge of SID, and being in school actually prevented him receiving OT (the school is supposed to provide services for any kid in ps, but the OT attached to his school had never heard of SID, and couldn't see any reason for continuing the therapy he'd been getting for over a year. Set him back quite a bit, until he left school, and could get services through the province again.)

So, to make this short (at least, to not get toooo long winded, lol), if you're wanting for advice on what to do, it sounds like you really want to hs your daughter, so do what you think is best for you and her. I strongly suspect that even if the school is totally against you hsing (they often are with special needs kids, though they were soooo happy to see the back of my son, LOL), once they see you are very serious in your decision (and in MB, there is absolutely nothing they can legally threaten you with, once you begin hsing, your dd is no longer a part of the public school system at all) they will allow you to continue to access services through the school. You might need to threaten to go to the superintendent or the minister for ed, but schools here will rarely make any big waves or noise.

Good luck making your decision,
Ali

ps, you might want to post a query on HS-CA, the yahoogroups group. There will probably be at least one parent there who's been in a similar situation
See less See more
Thank you all for your insightful and informative replies. I have thought about what you all said, discussed the situation with my DH (again, and again and again) and meditated on the pros and cons. Here is what we are going to do;

-We will bypass the school for evaluation and go through our dictor for a referal.

-Amy will be able to finish grade one in this school as long as she is happy and I do not start hearing destructive things about school.

-Next year, or possibly sooner, we will start homeschooling Amy, and we are leaning towards flexible/ecclectic style for now (any thoughts there?)

-We want to move to Winnipeg by next summer so we should have be able to recieve a wide range of services and participate in a lot of activities that are impossible here (Pembina Valley Lotusmama). This move will also aleviate the need for a second car since I want to be on a transit route.

So, now I just have to figure out the logistics of teaching my own...

Thanks again all!

MM

ps; Lotusmama, mind if I PM you?
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.