Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I also posted this at craftster and i've not gotten help yet - these are from the Spring 2006 Interweave Knits):

I'm in the gusset section. I've worked the first 4 rounds as written (where she holds your hand thru each round). Here's my problem:

The instep pattern is 4 rounds worth, but the instructions now say to repeat rounds 3 & 4 until I've decreased down enough (round 3 is a decrease round, 4 is plain knitting with regard to the heel). If I JUST repeat rounds 3&4, then the lace bit on the instep is going to look wonky (I would think). This leaves me wondering which of the following options might be most correct (or something else altogether):

A. accept pattern as written, repeat 3&4 over and over
B. continue to knit in blocks of 4, still decreasing on round 3, but knitting rounds 1,2 & 4 (again this mainly concerns the heel, since the instep will have the lace pattern)
C. continue to knit in blocks of 4 - instep pattern as written, but doing the decrease round on 1 & 3, with plain knitting on 2 & 4.
D. something else

I had assumed C, but I don't know if that decreases too fast?

Help a girl out, please?

~amey

·
Registered
562 Posts
Option C!

Just keep working the instep as charted and then do the decrease in the heel on every other round. It'll turn out just right.

[I'm almost done with my pair. Been wearing sock #1 while I knit sock #2. Love, love, love this pattern!]

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent. Thank you SO much! These are a gift of love for a dear neighbor who has broken her leg, and while in the hospital for that (she passed out and broke her leg) they discovered she had lung cancer and had to start 10 weeks of chemotherapy. I'm not sure how close to the end she is now, but I wanted to do something for her (they have local family for support). She is recently retired, as his her husband and they have been SO kind to my kids - they're close to grandparents (since my parents and DH's parents are on the other side of the country).

I may make her a chemo cap too, but I haven't asked her husband if she's lost her hair because that seems like an awkward question. But, I was nervy enough to ask her shoe size (and he didn't bat an eye when I did
), so maybe when I drop off the socks.

Thanks again.

~amey (now 3.5 inches into the foot, and I'm working the sportweight pattern)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.