Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted to own/play the SIMS game on computer. I never have played it, but like the idea of creating your own city.

Nowadays, there are like a million different game DVDs at the store - I have no idea what to buy!!!

Where do I start? The kids like all these ones where they take care of a pet or something, but I want the build a city thing.

Help!

Janice

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The SIMS 3 is coming out in 2009. Your sims will be able to walk around their neighborhoods and other cool stuff. It is a really good time for picking up any of the sims 2 series, they are cheaper because the new game is coming out and they want to clear stock.

As for the building a city game, we have one of the older ones and I never got into it that much. I liked the strategy part but everything was so small on the screen, lol. My dd was too young for it when I played it and has not been interested in playing it now that she is older. I am intrigued by the newer versions but don't have the money to spend to get a game just for me, kwim?

They are two very different games. My girls and I love the SIMS.
Look around, you might be able to find both for a pretty good price.

Ooooh! Here is a link to play the classic online. I didn't try it so let us know how it is if you do.
http://simcity.ea.com/play/simcity_classic.php

·
Registered
222 Posts
We have SimCity 4 Deluxe and SimCity Sociaties. Both are good. We also have The Sims 1 and 2 plus expansion packs. You should be able to pick up SimCity 4 for pretty cheap since the new game came out. As far as the sims, with 2 you can build your own town/neighborhood. HTH.

love and blessings
angie

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
To try and clarify things a bit...

SimCity is about the city. You organize neighbourhoods as residential, commercial, or industrial, and you build roads and put in infrastructures and manage the city's budget and build airports and raise taxes and deal with alien invasions... etc etc. You basically play the mayor, and citizens move in on their own and build homes and businesses on their own. You have no direct control over them -- only indirect influences. You control the running of the town, the big picture.

Sims -- you control the people themselves. This game arose out of SimCity, since the citizens were always called "sims" and the money is "simoleans" (lol)... but many players wanted to actually PLAY the citizens. So they made a game to do that.

You still build neighbourhoods, but you don't control city features like taxes and waste disposal and whether to put in an airport. You build the houses yourself, either from scratch or by downloaded ones other people have built (IMO, the user-created downloads are one of the GREATEST features of the game... infinite customizability!). You create the very people yourself, giving them the hair, body type, and personality that you want for them. (Or random generate them if you like lol).

You play "god" over individuals and families, you can choose what degree to let them direct their own lives and how much you make them do particular things.

They are both FANTASTIC games and I've been playing them in their various incarnations for... uh... waaaaay too many years lol...

So if you want to rule a city with an iron fist, get SimCity. SimCity4 is, I *think*, the most recent, though it's been out for awhile and should be pretty affordable.

If you want to micro-manage individual lives (and raise pets hee) get Sims. If your computer can run it, get Sims2 - you need a good video card to really get the most out of it!! It is far and away a much better game than the original Sims, in so many ways. But it is pretty demanding on graphics and processing. Make sure you check the game requirements on the box.

As to which expansions to get, that's mostly up to you. Sims2 is the base game, then there are expansions which add features. University creates a campus neighbourhood, where teen sims can leave home and earn a degree, doing various campus shenanigans along the way, and return to the main city upon graduation, opening up more job opportunities than if they go straight into the work force. NightLife creates an entertainment neighbourhood, Sims can go on dates and go to restaurants and go dancing. Pets gives you... well, pets!!!! Seasons gives you weather and Christmas and stuff like that -- I actually don't have that one yet, I stopped having time to play around the time it came out.

There are also extra 'packs' that just give extra items, not extra playing features. These can be fun, but aren't strictly speaking NECESSARY, especially when so much great stuff is available just for download.

Anyway, if you do want to get some expansions, look for "gold" editions or "deluxe" editions, that normally come with the base game and one or 2 expansions included, usually for less than buying them all separately. This should also be true for SimCity.

Good golly I miss playing my Sims... Ack... must resist... temptation.... ARGHHHHH

·
Registered
799 Posts
If you like the city building type but want to throw some history in Caesar IV (Roman Empire) and Pharaoh (Egypt) are a lot of fun! They are older, but cool. DD1 really gets a kick out of building pyramids in her cities.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I liked the idea of Sim City but I really got into the Sims. You can build houses (or apartment buildings if you buy Apartment Life) and the different expansion packs bring different fun to the game. I'm looking forward to the Sims 3 so I can make my Sims walk around the neighborhood, something that was definitely missing from the Sims 2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.