Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how about sharing our Thanksgiving menus?

It's still a work in progress, but here's mine ... also, if you're wondering why so many desserts, we have some guests that come just for dessert so we usually have 20 or so people eating dessert here!

Tapenade trio (green olive, black olive and sundried tomato) w/ dippers
Prosciutto, spinach, provolone and roasted pepper stromboli
Baked mushrooms stuffed with sausage and mozzarella

Calvados-laced squash soup with cinnamon cream

Turkey with stuffing and gravy
Pasta
Jalapeno cranberry sauce
Mashed potato casserole
Spicy gingersnap sweet potatoes
Candied carrots
Corn pudding
Green bean casserole
Bread (fresh baked rolls probably)

Chocolate raspberry torte
Pretzel bread pudding with chocolate
Chocolate mocha mascarpone dip with strawberries, pears, bananas and double chocolate chunk brownie chips
Raspberry pie rollups
Pilgrim pies (like whoopie pies but pumpkin instead of chocolate)
Pumpkin cream pie
Apple pie
Cookie tray (various Italian cookies that I'll make with my daughter!)
Caramel apple cider

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
We're having Rueben sandwhiches and crudite.
DH will be gone for Thanksgiving, so I'm not sure when we are going to do our big dinner.

I must have the recipe for Calvados-laced squash soup with cinnamon cream! That sounds sinful!

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
We have the same basic things every year and LOVE it:

Turkey (deboned/butterflied) roasted
Homemade bread dressing/stuffing (placed under the turkey as it roasts

Sweet Potato and banana casserole *and thinking of adding a layer of squash to this casserole*
Cranberry Rellish salad
mashed potatoes and gravy
green beans
spinich salad

and of COURSE Pumpkin pie with gingersnap crust and fresh whipped cream

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Babytime
Tapenade trio (green olive, black olive and sundried tomato) w/ dippers
Prosciutto, spinach, provolone and roasted pepper stromboli
Baked mushrooms stuffed with sausage and mozzarella

Calvados-laced squash soup with cinnamon cream

Turkey with stuffing and gravy
Pasta
Jalapeno cranberry sauce
Mashed potato casserole
Spicy gingersnap sweet potatoes
Candied carrots
Corn pudding
Green bean casserole
Bread (fresh baked rolls probably)

Chocolate raspberry torte
Pretzel bread pudding with chocolate
Chocolate mocha mascarpone dip with strawberries, pears, bananas and double chocolate chunk brownie chips
Raspberry pie rollups
Pumpkin cream pie
Apple pie
Cookie tray (various Italian cookies that I'll make with my daughter!)
Caramel apple cider
Well, I was gonna cook, but now I think I'm coming to your house! Holy Yum, Batwoman! I'd come just for the appetizers alone.

~Nick

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Pretty traditional here...

Turkey
Dressing
Mashed potatoes/gravy
Green bean casserole
Sweet potatoes
Rolls
Cranberry relish
Pumpkin pie
Pumpkin cheesecake

I want that recipe for the Sweet potato and banana casserole too!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Babytime
YUM!

Would you mind sharing the recipe, please? I have a recipe for whoopie pies that we love, so I only need the cookie part (not the filling).

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Spinach Dip
Hot Artichoke Dip
The Ultimate Turkey (from Bon Appetite) with gravy
Cornbread Stuffing with Sausage
Ham with gravy
Roasted Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Stuffed Acorn Squash
Garlic Roasted Green Beans with Caramalized Onions
Rolls
Cranberry Sauce
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Cinnamon Pumpkin Bunt Cake
Gingersnap Pumpkin Cheesecake

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I scanned it out of the magazine, but I'm having a hard time printing it so it's readable. I don't think it's on the epicurious website yet. I'll try to post it when I figure it out.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonconformnmom
Oh, tell me more, please! I've never heard of a casserole with these ingredients.
It's very simple.

Bake or steam cook (I prefer baked) about 3-4 sweet potatoes, mush add seasonings of choice (ie. cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg, ginger ect...my secret is a dash of cardomom...) brown sugar to taste (I use mollasas or real maple syrup instead) and layer in a baking dish, 1/2 the mashed seasoned sweet potatoes, 2 mashed bananas, 2nd 1/2 of sweet potatoes...top with spiced oat/butter/sugar crumble mix and bake until the topping is done.

I'm thinking of doing a layer of seasoned sweet potatoes, layer of bananas and layer of seasoned squash...perhaps a sugar loaf or sweet dumplin squash so no added sugar needed.

It's really yummy, a kid favorite in this house, w/o those gross marshmellows.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Here's my latest revised menu

Turkey breast/ gravy
Apple & walnut dressing
Spicy roasted vegetable soup
Sour cream biscuits
Bechamel green bean casserole w/ homemade fried onions
Mashed potatoes
Vegetable and bacon cornucopias
Roasted sweet potato wedges
Pumpkin cream cheese bread
Pumpkin cheese cake w/ my fake "Cool whip"
Gingerbread bars

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The Ultimate Turkey (from Bon Appetite)
GRAVY BASE
2 tbs. unsalted butter
2 lbs. turkey necks and/or wings
2 cups diced onion
1 cup diced peeled carrots
1 cup diced celery
6 cups (or more) chicken broth

TURKEY
1 cup butter, room temperature, divided
2 tsp fresh minced thyme plus 15 fresh thyme sprigs
2 tsp fresh minced tarragon plus 5 large fresh tarragon sprigs
2 tsp fresh minced rosemary plus 5 fresh springs
1 14-16 lb. turkey
4 cups chicken broth, divided
1/4 cup all purpose flour
FOR GRAVY BASE:
Melt butter in large heavy deep skillet over high heat. Add turkey necks and/or wings and saute until deep brown. Add onions, carrot and celery until deep brown about 15 minutes. Add 6 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pour gravy base through seive over 4 cup measuring cup, pressing solids to extract liquid. If needed add enough chicken broth to equal 4 cups. Can be prepared ahead of time, cooled and refrigerated until needed. Rewarm to use.
FOR TURKEY:
Add 1/4 cup in small bowl with minced herbs; season with salt and pepper. Transfer 2 generous tablespoons to another small bowl and reserve for gravy; let stand at room temp.
Set rack to the lowest position in the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry. Starting at neck end slide hand between skin and meat to loosen skin. Rub 4 tbs. herb butter on breast under skin. Place turkey on rack set in large roasting pan. Sprinkle main cavity generously with salt and pepper. Place 4 tbs. plain butter and all herb sprigs in main cavity. Tuck wing tips under. Tie legs together loosely. Rub remaining herb butter all over outside of turkey. Sprinkle outside of turkey with salt and pepper.
Place turkey in oven and roast for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 350 degrees. Roast turkey 30 minutes, pour 1 cup broth over turkey and add 1 tbs plain butter to pan. Roast for 30 minutes and baste with pan juices then pour 1 cup broth over turkey and add 1 tbs plain butter to pan. Cover turkey loosely with foil and roast turkey until thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 175 degrees, basting with pan juices and adding 1 cup broth and 1 tbs plain butter every 45 minutes about 1 hr 45 minutes longer. Transfer turkey to platter and allow to sit 30 minutes (internal temp will rise 5-10 degrees).
Strain pan juices into a bowl; whisk into gravy base. Melt reserved herb butter in pan over medium heat; whisk in flour and whisk constantly until roux is golden brown, about 6 minutes. Gradually add pan juice-gravy base mixture; increase heat and whisk until thickens, boils and is smooth. Reduce heat and boil until gravy reduces to 4 1/2 cups, whisking often, about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
903 Posts
On the Menu at My house. I am hosting my First Thanksgiving Dinner.

Turkey (fried because its fast)
Corn Bread Dressing
Cheesey Greenbean Caserole
Homemade Yeast roles
Mac and Cheese
Sweet Potato Casserole
Turkey Sausage balls
Cheese Ball and crackers
Cheese Cake
Apple Pie
Shoe peg corn salad
Spiced pumpkin bread
Cranberry Sauce (the stuff in the can)
Cranberry Relish

I think that's all for now. I might throw in a pumpkin pie or something like that.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
we did thanksgiving last saturday, cuz dh left yesterday. we had 15 people, 3 kiddos , a tiny babe, and the 2 of us

we had (and i made, all from scratch)
2 turkeys (i did a regular baked one, and dh fried one)
cornbread stuffing (its sad how many people have never had real stuffing, only stove top)
gravy
devilled eggs
clover leaf rolls
pecan pie
pumpkin pie

other people brought:
sweet tatoes with marshmallows
puppy chow (chex cereal w/ peanut butter and chocolate)
mashed potaoes
corn
chocolate pie
pasta and marinara sauce
meatballs
angelfood cake
lots of fresh veggies to munch on
green bean cassarole
peach cobbler

i dont know what im going to do on thanksgiving day. probably hang around at home unless i get invited to dinner or to go somewhere (dh is army, and most everybody left this week, so most everybody already had thanksgiving)

or i might go to the DFAC (dining facility), they serve a pretty nice meal there too

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
JLav-
if you read this, can you post the recipe or just the jist of how to make the garlic roasted green beans with carmelized onions, PLEASE?!?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by clovergirl
JLav-
if you read this, can you post the recipe or just the jist of how to make the garlic roasted green beans with carmelized onions, PLEASE?!?
To roast the green beans, place in a roasting pan or baking dish and drizzle with olive oil...season to taste with salt and pepper. Add whole garlic cloves as desired. Bake on a low temp until beans are cooked and garlic is soft. In a skillet met butter and add sliced onions, cook over low heat until onions are caramalized...you can add a little bit of sugar to speed up the caramalization. Place roasted greed beans on a serving dish and top with caramalized onions. Mushrooms can be added to the onions if you'd like.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.