Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am thinking of moving to a townhouse with single glazed windows. I've never lived in a house with single glazed windows. Does it make a big difference if the windows are single or double glazed? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Do you mean single or double paned? If so then yes they make a huge difference, I can't imagine living in CA with single pane. We live in New Mexico and even in our brief winter we spend a small fortune and freeze with single pane.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what to call them properly, but the windows in the townhouse are only one sheet of glass. The ones I have in my home are two windows put together with space in between. This might be a deal breaker!

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Rent or own?

You could ask the landlord to put up storm windows on the outside.

IF the windows were good, a middle unit townhouse would be warm. With single pane windows, I would expect heating costs hundred of dollars higher (per year) than a similar double pane window house.
:

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sora View Post
This is a middle unit in a townhome. Would it be warmer than regular homes?
Thanks.
As a middle unit you would probably be fine if you put up thermal drapes and shrink wrapped and caulked the windows.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking of backing out of this deal just because of windows. I'm living in a two bedroom condo, very warm. In the new place, there is a huge sliding door to the patio (north facing) in the living room and another sliding door to another patio in the master bedroom in the upstairs. I can imagine it will take a lot for me to get used to it. Our climate isn't so cold though. It's like Seattle. It goes down below zero only for a few months.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Even in the temperate climate of California, we noticed a HUGE difference when we got rid of our old single panes and installed double panes. And we don't heat our house at all. If you have to turn the heat on for even a week, you'll feel it with the single panes - all the heat will escape right out the glass.

·
Registered
233 Posts
We rent a 1000 sq ft rambler with single pane windows. In the winters (Seattle area) our energy bill is 400-500 a month, compared to $75-85 during the summer when we aren't using the heater. It is awful- the house does not maintain heat at all. We keep the thermostat at 68 during the day and 62 at night, so its not like we keep the house roasting hot either.

We are moving at the end of summer because we can't afford a third winter in this house... the energy bill is just too big for our budget.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Quote:

What is storm window?
I probably don't want to put plastic wrapped around the windows because I cannot open to ventilate.
shrink wrapping the windows doesn't make it so you can't open them. It's a film that you put on the glass part of the window only. You apply it with a hair dryer so it sticks to the glass and won't fall off. Then you get clear silicone caulking to go around the windows and thick curtains. Make sure the weather stripping is intact etc. I think for us, it would depend on how good of a deal the rent would be.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
shrink wrapping the windows doesn't make it so you can't open them. It's a film that you put on the glass part of the window only. You apply it with a hair dryer so it sticks to the glass and won't fall off. Then you get clear silicone caulking to go around the windows and thick curtains. Make sure the weather stripping is intact etc. I think for us, it would depend on how good of a deal the rent would be.
So even with shrink wraps, will I still be able to open the windows? When I did it, I put the wrap around the whole window, not just the glas part. I thought that is the way to do it. I'm confused now....

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Quote:

What is storm window?
I probably don't want to put plastic wrapped around the windows because I cannot open to ventilate.
Its another glass window on the outside with glass and a screen you can move up and down, screen in the summer and glass in the winter. It gives you the barrier you need to prevent so much heat loss. That is if they are installed properly. Though any storm is better then none.

See if you can get copies of the previous tenants heating bills.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Yeah, they are horrible. We have all new windows in our house except one (not sure why the owner didn't do this one window). It is so drafty and afwul. Cellular blinds help, but you probably don't want to invest in them for a rental.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.