Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admitted something to myself the other night. I would be sad if ds decided to sleep in his own bed/room any time soon.

I completely adore cuddling up with ds at night and having him fall asleep with me. The few times that ds has tried to sleep in his own bed, I couldn't sleep well. The bed felt too big (it's only a full size) and I was lonely and cold. I missed my little cutie boy by my side!

Yeah, these days ds tends to push me off the bed (in his sleep) or keeps scooting over little by little til I just have a sliver of bed to myself. But it's still not enough to tell him to sleep in his own bed.

Anyone else feel the same as I do? Do you just love, love, love co-sleeping?

Perhaps I'd feel differently if I had a partner/husband but, since I don't, I get to cuddle with my one and only.

Oh, and I forgot to mention something. Ds is delayed so he really does seem a lot younger than 4. I think that sometimes he still feels like my little baby boy...and I'm not ready for him to get all independent on me. giggle

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
We still co sleep and I adore it. DS cuddles up close to me..

He *never* pushes me away.. he won't sleep if I'm not next to him.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Zayla is a bed hog, she kicks off the covers, she kicks me in the gut, she often turns around and sleeps upside down or sideways. When we're home we sleep on a small sized camping air mattress, so that doesn't help any. But I'm going to be missing her terribly here soon when she goes back to live with her dad.

I love co-sleeping so much.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I was a single mom for about 5 years and co slept with my daughter, who was 4 months when I became a single mom. She's 13 now and still wants to sleep with me. Many nights she ends up on the floor of our room (I'm remarried) or in bed with us - 3 people in a queen size bed is crowded, let me tell you! But I still love snuggling with her at bedtime in our bed. Unfortunately my husband gets mad and she has to leave.

I think we need a king sized bed so she doesn't crowd us out

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hiya OTJ.

Yeah, as a single mama, I think that it does tilt the parameters of the family social experience. I would feel absolutely strange sleeping without my children under these circumstances, so I'm glad that they both are uninterested in budging from their sleeping spots on either side of me in our cal king futon.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
oooh totally. i LOVE cosleeping with my dd and she feels the same. she is 4 1/2. we both share a twin and there is plenty of space there for another child - which is now occupied by books and toys. we both dont move a lot. litereally we sleep like two spoons. right from newborn she had to have her feet touching me when she slept. she still does the same thing.

she has told me that if i do get her a new daddy he better have a dd she can share a bed with.

·
Registered
276 Posts
i LOVE co sleeping too. my dd is of the kicking, yanking covers off, stealing my pillow, sleeping stretched out horizontally on the bed so i have to curl around her or sleep on the very edge of the bed variety, but i wouldnt trade it for the world. my favorite thing is when i crawl into bed next to her at the end of the (long) day and snuggle my face into her hair. and when she wakes me up in the morning by pinching me... lol...
yay for co sleeping!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wanted to add that ds doesn't deliberately push me off the bed...He just keeps trying to get smooshed up next to me during the night til there's no room left. teehee. Yep, he sleeps sideways all the time.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OdeToJoy View Post
Wanted to add that ds doesn't deliberately push me off the bed...He just keeps trying to get smooshed up next to me during the night til there's no room left. teehee. Yep, he sleeps sideways all the time.
DD always smooshes up close to me and it ends up making me feel claustrophobic.
: I can't tell her that though!

·
Registered
155 Posts
My DD's join me in my bed around midnight and 2 am, I enjoy it but I do have to say that I miss sleeping alone sometimes hehe. I have a tiny room with a twin size bed, so usually DD1 sleeps somewhere in the middle/end of the bed, and DD2 sleeps up on my breast. I get a little crunched and cramped and cant move and at those times I don't enjoy it so much hehe

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OdeToJoy View Post
That's Owen too. He has a bed right next to mine that he usually ignores. This past week though he's slept in it almost all night by himself
Last night he started in his bed and by the time I went to bed he had crawled back up onto mine
I have a feeling our co-sleeping days are coming to an end

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'm glad you posted this! I too absolutely love co-sleeping. My son is 5. Because it's in our divorce agreement (which isn't finalized) that he'll have overnights with his father (just one at a time), I began to sleep in the other bedroom at times, just so that he'll know he CAN sleep on his own...so when he has to do an overnight it won't be too upsetting for him.

But I too always feel weird when I'm not sleeping with him. They're only little kids once...and it's so precious. He's such a peaceful sleeper too, that there are no down-sides to it. Just to hear his breathing is the best thing in the world.

It makes me wonder how some people live without ever co-sleeping with their kids!

·
Registered
774 Posts
I love cosleeping and I do feel weird when ds's not there...but, I have to say, I also love that night or two a week when I can go all night without being woken up or kicked or sat on...I always have a lot of dreams on the nights he isn't there, like my brain knows it can relax and think about something else that night.

I do miss him, though. (luckily, he's over cosleeping at his dad's house! so he doesn't have to sleep alone there either.)

·
Registered
558 Posts
When dd was around six months old, I think, our co-sleeping was so funny...
in the morning, she's stir before me. I slept with my back to her (so I could breathe... she'd snuggle in too close, so after she'd go to sleep, I'd turn over). She'd stand up against my head, and fall down over my face; her body would be completely curled over my head, her feet behind me and her head right down to touch the bed in front of my face. I'll never forget that view of her face from sort of underneath her plump little chin. Smiling, happy, and I loved it!

Then later, as she got into toddler-hood, I'd wake up and her body would be perpendicular to mine on the bed (full size) and the top of her head would be up against the side of my head. It was hysterical how she'd get herself in that particular position, but night after night, our heads together...

She mostly sleeps in her own room now, because our different sleep schedules, but she still gets to sleep with mama about once a week. She asks, or she wakes up in the night and curls in. It's precious.

VF

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viewfinder View Post
I'd wake up and her body would be perpendicular to mine on the bed (full size) and the top of her head would be up against the side of my head. It was hysterical how she'd get herself in that particular position, but night after night, our heads together...
Exactly! That's how it is with us...Night after night. I don't know why he likes sleeping like that. A bit difficult to keep him covered up.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I can't imagine not co-sleeping.
My two older ones moved into their own beds at they were ready, around three. But my youngest is nearly five and right there with me: he has severe asthma, which is often at its worst at night, and I feel so much safer with him right there with me. He has his own bed directly alongside mine, but only sleeps in it the first couple of hours, then he snugs up with me. I love it.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Yeah for co-sleeping!

My ds is only 8 months old and he is a active sleeper who sometimes likes to burl into me or kick me through the night. Sometimes the night are sleepless but i still get sad when I think about him being older and not wanting to co-sleep anymore.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You know, I can't imagine NOT co-sleeping... but (and I'm newly single so not used to this) I imagine it would be interesting if/when you start getting serious with someone again. How do you really deal with this?

I don't even know how to date yet (don't really want to just yet) but I guess you just don't ever let them stay over until you are practically married - ?

I dunno -- this is the one thing (gee, just one!
) I'm just not sure how it works down the road.

Oh --- and that doesn't make me want to NOT co-sleep, don't worry! I can't imagine not snuggling up to my DD!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post

I don't even know how to date yet (don't really want to just yet) but I guess you just don't ever let them stay over until you are practically married - ?
I've made my own rule and I will not have a male overnight guest unless I'm in a committed relationship and we are either living together (or about to get a new place together). I'm not taking any chances when it comes to my son. (I want my son to feel completely secure).
Heck, if I just 'date' a guy, I don't even let that guy meet my son. I don't care if I've been dating for months....If there hasn't been plans made of us committing completely, then I will not have my son meet him.

Guess I don't really trust men anymore.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.