Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there was so much interest in our dating thread about homeschooling I thought I would start a new thread on the topic.

My interrest in it right now is due to the vax laws. In my state there is a bill being pushed through at super-fast speeds against tons of parental opposition. Initially dd could have been kicked out of school as early as next year but as it's been amended she'll be kicked out starting 7th grade.

I've been trying to figure out how I can prepare for this possibility - especially since I am still the breadwinner and have to worry about paying cs. XH is not in any way an academic and more mainstream than many on MDC so I don't see him as being very supportive.

I haven't been able to figure out how to make it feasible when I have to work a 8-5 job. Exemptions here are also tied to day care and camp so once this passed I could be out of those as options and can't afford nannies. My coworker tried to go that route. She was going to hire an undocumented, non-English speaking adult to watch her child and it was $2K-$3k per month. Way above what I can afford.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I also live in the same state as Zoey and am super upset at the vax bill being pushed through, though it will only affect my younger one, since the oldest is going into 10th grade and will have his vax exemptions grandfathered in (my kids are actually nearly fully vaxed but we did a modified schedule and passed on the newer, less important/less tested ones like chicken pox)

after spending 4 years at a community charter school, my kids have homeschooled for the last 6 years,: one year fully unschooled, one year with a parent-choice homeschool charter (which allows parents to use state funds for classes & supplies of their choosing) and the last 4 years at a homeschool hybrid (2 days/wk in class, 2 days at home, possible one day of elective classes on campus). DS1(15) will continue at the full-time high school that he adores. DS2(11) has 3 mores years at the hybrid and then wants to do a full time high school either in the same charter group (there are 3 high schools) or at one with a better performing arts program, all public. I'm trying not to be too freaked out at the possibility that we'll have to pull him from school after this year (his current exemptions only being approved until 7th grade), since the alternatives of independent homeschooling or private school, are completely unmanageable. I can't leave the state either.

Anyway, I'm generally of the unschooler mindset, and prefer a constructivist/project based educational model and just about everything about current school standards make me very angry as they are utterly developmentally inappropriate across the board. I do have lots of experience with letting kids just learn at their own pace, but I can't help with stuff like which curriculum is best (though I've used several and can share what I've liked)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
We are homeschoolers as well. ZZ, i do work full-time, but I am lucky enough to do it all from home, and I've set my schedule so that I work mostly at night.

It sounds like your best bet might be to find another homeschooling family with a similarly aged child, who might be willing to watch dd and help her with some schoolwork for a lesser rate than an actual nanny. I know in my state, the parent has to be the primary educator to be considered homeschoolers, so you'd have to see how yo can spin that on paper, but I think it's doable if you do some instruction after work and send her with mostly independent work/online work during the day. I'll bet they'll be many people in your shoes if this bill goes through, so I think there's a good chance you could find someone willing to do this. I'm really shocked that this is getting pushed through so quickly-Crazy. We partially vax, and I"m not sure what I'd do if presented with your decision-that's really a tough one.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RCM - I'm similar in mind to you but I think dd needs that push. That's why I was happy with her charter school. They push a lot of alternative programs like sewing class, Spanish, tabla lessons, etc. Plus starting in 3rd grade they do project-based learning.

Since I have until 7th grade I have a few years to prepare and work on XH. The other thing I had thought of (but I'm sure dd won't like) is that there is another law passed that allows exemptions for homeless kids (which includes living an a RV or hotel) so I have also thought about RVing if I need to leave dd in school.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Since you have plenty of time, you might look into all the homeschool co-ops in your area and if none truly work for you, creating your own. All you really need is one family, but it helps if there are more. In addition to that finding specific professionals, clubs, etc. that would be willing(or maybe already is) mentoring or doing special projects with homeschoolers might help to make it more well-rounded.

In my community we've been talking about doing a diy.org club, in another state where I was almost going to unschool we created an unschool co-op where each parent taught something, as often as they wanted to. In addition to doing the co-op, which was 5 days a week for us, we could also of course go to homeschool field trips and supplement the kids' education with other materials/parenting time.

I think it's more than possible to say you're the main teacher if you unschool, if the kids are learning anything with you while you're not working (cooking together(measurements, fractions, science, etc.), volunteering together, gardening, and just reading books, watching educational shows and playing games.

Another thing I've been thinking about since I'm currently transitioning out of working from home for the past few years, to now working outside the home (with just a little bit of at home stuff) is recording myself (videos and audios) for my kids to consume when I'm not with them. (My grandma watches my girls most of the time now, I know I'm very lucky) Or even just finding stuff for them to do(videos, games, workbooks, etc.) and curating their learning material is still teaching.

I thought of this because I was also thinking of putting my older daughter into a homeschool program at a horse farm where they supervised the kids working on their own schoolwork and then gave them time to learn how to care for and ride horses. It was pretty affordable, actually, way cheaper than 1k a month, although I don't remember exactly how much it was. I can tell you I was considering it and I was really, really broke at the time.

Also in my community a local arts school is trying to put together a program for homeschoolers and there's a smaller arts program for homeschoolers that is totally free...so with that I feel like you have plenty of time to make it work, but it seems like there's always adjustments to be made.

I'd like to have my kids with other kids more and learning more than they do at my grandma's but my grandma is very supportive and free, however she spoils them.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about the online home-based schools. Does the vax rule apply to them too? I know I was considering putting my daughter in that too, but to get all the paperwork to enroll her bothered me, and I was doing it last minute so I didn't bother.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My understanding is that the vax rule doesn't allow for any class time. That is where there are so many cries that this is segregation. In a lot of cases co ops are the same because many of them have on-site time and have to register as a private school here.

Other things I have considered if I want to continue using the schools is buying a tiny house (on a trailer) or RV. The law actually says that a vehicle qualifies as homeless and then we would the option of a religious exemption thanks to another law that passed. (Backwards I know - especially since there are double the homes sleds than PBEs). One other option is to try to get an IEP agreement. I have no idea how hard that would be. They are currently amended in. I am still leaning towards to RV sincve that law is less likely to be modified as it had very little press.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
ZZ, the laws sound so crazy. If you go with the "homeless" option, does that raise the possibility of having DD taken by cps?

No class time with other kids? What next? Banned from grocery stores and banks? Petting zoos and toy stores? But what about homeless kids there?

I think they should be testing all these vaccinated kids to make sure they've developed proper antibodies so they can discriminate based on fact, not preassumptions. Are any vaccinations optional with this law?

Isn't forcing you into living in a vehicle the most outrageous display of segregation? Then what? You can only be homeless with children in certain cities on certain properties, not at the beach because that's reserved for vacationers and then whoops, darn those arson nuts who set fires on windy days.

At least you'd be ahead of the game if a zombie apocalypse breaks out. How secure are RVs as far as people breaking in? I would feel so vulnerable living in one. A tiny house on a trailer sounds like you could wake up on your way to Mexico. I'm being facetious but still.

Homeless kids....with all the thousands of child refugees from the Latin countries...how does that all factor in?

What about allergies? Can you say your daughter is allergic to a specific ingredient in many adjuvants? If the law passes, take her to a pediatrician and say you're concerned about her ability to go to school and ask for a blood panel testing antibodies that correlate with the required vaccines. See what she has antibodies for and have the ped sign off that she's inoculated.

In the narcolepsy community we are highly aware that there's an environmental factor to how our partly genetic autoimmune disorder is triggered. The Pandeemix swine flu vaccine was the culprit in triggering hundreds of cases of narcolepsy in Europe in children between the ages of 4 and 17.

Because of this, I haven't vaccinated dd at all. I had the mmr vax as a toddler, I'm not sure exactly how old I was, but my narcolepsy symptoms date back to before my sister was born, and she's almost 4 yrs younger.

There's been some research on something called the MTHFR gene variants. If you have one of the genes, it can affect your body's ability to detox....I can't remember much off hand but testing for that and maybe others before getting vaccinated might prevent devastating side effects. This could be the very reason why some people have a range of side effects and others don't when any drug is administered.

Sorry, my post isn't exactly homeschool-related but hello forcing medicine into our children in order to access what I always thought was their right to public education...seems so wrong. And again, I'm not anti-vax. I'm pro-information. Blind trust just doesn't work for me, now blind force is frightening. My brother's children live out there and many of my friends and theirs.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No class time with other kids? What next? Banned from grocery stores and banks? Petting zoos and toy stores? But what about homeless kids there?
The senator who created this bill actually tweeted this. He basically said that unvaxed kids shouldn't be allowed in schools, college, to work, etc. He passed another bill that took effect last year so I have no reason to believe the rest of these crazy laws aren't too far away. DD is completely unvaxed so I doubt she'll come up with much immunity unless she got something mild from a shed vax. She's pretty healthy. The only thing I could potentially use is she has an allergy to jellyfish. But the issue is the way things are no doctor will write an exemption over that.

One of the meetups I've been going to is the tiny house meetup. This idea actually appeals to me anyway for environment reasons and because of property prices where I live. A 2 bedroom in my area is $600-900K. I can't afford that. This is one way I could in theory buy something and be able to afford to work less. Ideally I'm hoping to drop down to part time in 5-6 years so I might be able to get away with homeschool if this law stays in effect (assuming this amendment doesn't get taken out).

I'll need to check into CPS. It's my understanding the issues are more things like running water and sanitation but after last years CPS investigation against XH I don't want to take any chances.

BTW... there were several people of the dating thread who mentioned wanting to talk about homeschooling so feel free to speak up with your questions/issues too.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah...I was into the tiny house movement too, that's why I got an RV. Also, couldn't really find a place to live that was affordable and the right combination of everything else we needed in CA.

However I know there's a lot of interest in tiny houses. In Florida people were using storage units to create tiny houses and tiny house communities. I don't remember the cost but they were super, super affordable.

On the other hand, I don't understand how they could make co-ops register as private schools. I know there are "umbrella schools" that register as private schools and some of them are co-ops and they have real locations, but a bunch of parents deciding to get together, not incorporating in anyway can meet up anywhere to do "school time" together. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but informal co-ops shouldn't be regulated or forced to register for anything.

Frankly this just doesn't make sense and I feel like daycare centers and people in general should be allowed to say whether they care or not if they are in school with people who are vaxxed or not. Then you could have schools, daycares, classes, etc. that are non-vax or vax-friendly. While that's still discrimination, it's better than a blanket law. ugh.

But anyway, online school is zero class-time but it is funded by the government. I'm sure if this passes and online schools are not subject to this law, there will be groups of non-vax kids getting together to do online school together. So if I needed that, I'd look into that option.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
If a school gets government funds, then it's public, otherwise, it's private and not subject to these laws. Co-ops and similar groups that offer homeschool classes don't count, since each individual family creates their own private school if they are homeschooling independently, even if those same co-ops or homeschool classes also take children who are getting their class paid for by a public charter.

You can also hire tutors to teach your kids if you file a PSA (private school affidavit, which is how you homeschool independently in CA) and the teachers/parents don't have to be credentialed.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Actually in CA private schools are under the same rules as public ones. Here is the bill text:

As used in this chapter, “governing authority” means the governing board of each school district or the authority of each other private or public institution responsible for the operation and control of the institution or the principal or administrator of each school or institution.
(b) The governing authority shall not unconditionally admit any person as a pupil of any private or public elementary or secondary school, child care center, day nursery, nursery school, family day care home, or development center, unless, prior to his or her first admission to that institution, he or she has been fully immunized.

The only part allowing homeschools without an exemption is this:
(f) This section does not apply to a pupil in a home-based private school or a pupil who is enrolled in an independent study program pursuant to Article 5.5 (commencing with Section 51745) of Chapter 5 of Part 28 of the Education Code and does not receive classroom-based instruction.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It could be implemented as early as January 2016. Yes if this passes I expect it to go to the courts.

There is also a similar federal bill gathering steam. Last I heard there were a few potential co-sponsors. The federal bill will remove funding for any school with unvaxed kids. So this could soon be an issue in all 50 states.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Wow. So homeschooling will become a lot more popular. I was talking to a friend in the Murrieta, CA area and told her she should look into doing daycare and supervising kids for working parents who want to homeschool. She thinks it's a good idea. You're nowhere near there, are you?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That may be a good idea but she'll have to be unlicensed if she wants to take non-vexed kids or if she doesn't want to take the entire adult vax schedule including annual flu vax. There is another bill going through to mandate that the adult schedule for day care workers.

I would look into something like that if we get kicked out of school but Murrieta wouldn't be doable for me on a week day. The only concern I have with that area specifically is overall I found it less crunchy (have lived near there) so I don't know how many people would look at homeschool there. It's worth looking into though. I would also recommend her to look in Australia.

They passed a lot of anti vax laws in Australia recently and I read about services like day care popping up specially to take unvaxed kids.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Her child is actually vaxed, and she's not super crunchy but she's a good friend. She's homeschooling for other reasons, partly religious but, like me, is supportive of other people making their own decisions, especially as parents and she says the vax laws are insane for that reason. She wouldn't want to actually open a daycare anyway, but to take on one or two kids during business hours would be doable.

But yeah, I didn't think you were near her.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On top of the school law there was a second bill requiring the entire adult schedule as a condition of employment for groups including day care workers so I wanted to mention that in case she was wanting to get a license. Even if you are pro-vax, many people are hesitant to take a flu shot every year.

·
Registered
413 Posts
This is all going so far beyond fair. Ugh. But yeah I've seen in home daycare/babysitters offering services to homeschoolers in my area and it's really not very crunchy. I've been to Murrietta and lived in the outlying area, but I don't remember how crunch it was, I would say though it can't be any less crunchy than my little Georgia town, so I'll bet there's people out there doing that already or willing to do it especially if these bills pass.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts