Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 14 weeks along and have had this weird symptom for about a week and a half or so. I didn't have it with my first pregnancy so it makes me a little bit concerned, but wanted to see if it's normal for anyone else.

It feels like a heavy sinking feeling in the pit of my abdomen, like my uterus is pressing down against my vagus nerve or something, and it simultaneously makes me feel like I'm going to pass out and gives me anxiety. I don't ever feel lightheaded, and occasionally feel vertigo, but this feeling is different and I've often had it during my period, when it feels like I'm loosing a lot of blood and my body feels like it's on the verge of just shutting down.

Anyone else feel this weird feeling? It happens often throughout the day and it's making me really uncomfortable, but I have an appointment this week and am going to talk to my midwife about it.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
When I first saw this, I thought maybe there was a bit of prolapse happening, but after reading your description, I'm not at all convinced.
Thought I'd reply though because it's never any fun when no one replies!
If you wash your hands and put a finger or two in your vagina, does everything feel normal and smooth, or is there something bulging into your vagina? How high is your cervix?
Have you seen a chiropractor or massage therapist? If it's a nerve-y thing, a chiro and/or massage therapist should be able to help.
Sounds super unpleasant! I hope your midwife has some insight. You'll have to let us know what the verdict is.

Reactions: MoonWomb

·
Registered
170 Posts
Have you had some blood work done recently? I'm also not too sure what else it could be. But maybe you have some kind of vitamin/mineral deficiency that could be attributing to it? Definitely let us know what your midwife says.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah everything feels normal up there, cervix is in the same place it was when I last had an exam with the midwife, and no bulges. About 3 weeks ago had blood work done and everything was at great levels, even my iron.
Yes I can't wait to see what she says because it's so uncomfortable. It's almost like when you go on a roller coaster and your heart kinda drops in your chest, but the feeling is in my uterus. I keep think maybe its contractions or the baby moving but I don't remember feeling this way with last pregnancy and I've felt it during my periods before so its confounding.
Anyway, thanks for your replies and I'll update on Thursday!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Could this be related to increased blood flow? I don't know what it is, but what you're describing sounds like something I have on periods and also sometimes during pregnancy...I haven't had it to the extent that it made me really uncomfortable for long periods of time, but I'll be curious to hear what your mw has to say.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, saw the midwife and assistant and they both thought it was the feel of the baby moving, that they'd had others describe the "roller coaster" feeling like that about their fetal movements before. With the increased blood flow it's possible that when I felt it on my period that it was the contraction/cramping that made it feel the same way. They weren't worried at all. I do had a tendency to pass out easily when I'm on my period, inserting a tampon, or even if I'm getting a pelvic exam or pap smear, and they think it's that I just have a unique mechanism or nerve structure that combined with my uterus contracting or expanding makes me feel all the weird things. It makes sense to me!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Glad to hear that it is nothing serious and that your midwife was able to ease your fears. I'm sure it's also very comforting to know that you can feel your LO moving around so well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts