Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby is all about the sippy cup. I'm really not sure I'm supposed to be giving her water yet. What do you guys give your babes in sippy cups? Do you even use sippy cups? How much water should I give her if I do? Is juice okay for a 7 month old?

Haha, just some questions. I trust you guys more than wikipedia.

· Registered
2,271 Posts
IMO - definately too young for juice we don't do juice till around two water is much better. However until she is eating solids I wouldn't introduce water cause you will be filling her up w/o giving her body any substance. If you wanna give her a sippy express some milk for her is my vote. DD3 has been trying to figure out her sister's cups the last month and probably could use it if we would just show her the difference between up and down

· Registered
60 Posts
My baby is 8.5 months old and we've been giving her water in a sippy cup for several weeks now. From what I understand, 2 ounces of water in the morning and 2 ounces in the evening is a good amount to give a baby at this age, to prevent constipation, which is so common when babies begin solids. If our daughter does get constipated, we mix 1 ounce of prune juice with 1 ounce of water (recommended by my sister, a pediatric nurse), and give that to her in a sippy cup. Except for that, we don't give her juice. Babies at this age should be getting most of their nutrients and calories from breastmilk (or formula), and the rest from solid foods.

· Registered
362 Posts
My 7 month old has been using a sippy cup (the nubby style) for about a month now. I usually put water (purified) in it because I nurse her first, then give her a few spoonfuls of a veggie and offer the cup with her food. So far it is working wonderfully. I express a little breastmilk to put in the sippy if we are in between feedings and I need to buy a little time to finish up something before nursing her.
HTH

oh yeah, I wouldn't do juice yet (at least 1 yr old) and be sure to water it down when you do (1 part juice to 2 parts water)

· Registered
27,266 Posts
Lina started having the option to have water from our water bottles around 7 months when she insisted on having her turn with them.

She really knows the difference between them and nursing and other food. I don't think there's a huge worry about an older baby filling up too much if you nurse on demand.

Seriously, she'll be nursing away, then stop and ask for a "cup", have a drink of water, go back to nursing, stop and walk me to the fridge and get some cheese, have a few bites, hand the remainder to me, and go back to nursing. (When she was 7 months old, she'd just stop nursing and fuss at me until I figured out what she wanted.)

Although, she only drinks from regular cups, straws, and our Camelbaks with bite-valves, so I don't know if sippies would be different. She can't manage sippies at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.